Hallmark Channel To Make High-Definition Bow In February

bgothard72

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Jemison, Alabama, United States
Hallmark Channel To Make High-Definition Bow In February

Family-Friendly Service To Sister Service Hallmark Movie Channel In Delivering HD Signals

John Eggerton -- Multichannel News, 12/16/2009 10:54:00 AM

Hallmark Channel said Wednesday it is launching a high-definition version of the channel in February 2010.
Hallmark, which currently counts some 88 million subscribers, will also continue to deliver an SD version of the channel. Sister service Hallmark Movie channel is already available in HD.
"As more homes have high definition televisions, viewers are becoming more selective in their television program choices," said Hallmark Channel President Bill Abbott in announcing the new feed. "We're delighted to be providing our family-friendly programming in compelling high definition format to this growing audience."

OK, this is worthwhile channel, for some like my mom. She will really be excited to have Hallmark HD, but let's hope Hallmark puts more HD content in February because they still air a lot of older TV shows and movies produced before HD.

OK, this is worthwhile channel, for some like my mom. She will really be excited to have Hallmark HD, but let's hope Hallmark puts more HD content in February because they still air a lot of older TV shows and movies produced before HD.

Even with little HD content, the SD material will cease to look like absolute crap.

Most filmed materials can be downrezed to HD. Look at the great job that HDNET did with Hogan's Heroes. I Love Lucy (and most shows from the DesiLu studios) was/were filmed. Most movies are still shot on film because of the resolution. Now whether they decide to remaster the content for HD may be another matter.

Even with little HD content, the SD material will cease to look like absolute crap.

A very fair point. I forgot about that. I do enjoy watching the endless SD content on MTV HD now that is looks better. I think Real World and Gauntlet are the ONLY HD content programs on MTV. But watching the SD content is better on HD channel.

Most filmed materials can be downrezed to HD. Look at the great job that HDNET did with Hogan's Heroes. I Love Lucy (and most shows from the DesiLu studios) was/were filmed. Most movies are still shot on film because of the resolution. Now whether they decide to remaster the content for HD may be another matter.

But it is the studios who do the transfers, for economic reasons. The problem is that it won't make economic sense for the studios/producers to make the HD transfer as blu-ray sales would be next to zero since the programming on Hallmark really interests older viewers, and they don't care so much about HD, and they aren't interested in Blu-ray. Now, the studios are spending money to transfer a lot of old movies that will and do make money on Blu-ray. Even Star Trek TOS is in Blu-ray, now because it makes economic sense. But how many of Star Trek's 1960's contemporaries have been or ever will be transferred to HD? Almost none of them.

But how many of Star Trek's 1960's contemporaries have been or ever will be transferred to HD? Almost none of them.

Hey, don't assume facts not in evidence.

I bought a PS3 almost exclusively to use for Blu-Ray and IP HD transfer and I watched Star Trek TOS in college and have a complete collection of almost every Star Trek Episode either on video tape or now Blu-Ray or MPEG2 HD from OTA/HDNET - drives the little missus crazy ("You never watch that stuff it's just a waste"). Lots of it is on Beta tape and I think my last Beta player has croaked :river .

Otherwise, you're right, I doubt Laugh in will ever be re-released on Blu-Ray. I can't even remember what else was on, that's about all the TV I watched, but the TV room was packed on those two nights (yes we had a TV room, not allowed in the dorm rooms).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)