Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Hard to believe it, but here we are starting out 9th year of serving you! Little did I imagine when I started this site that it would have grown to what it is today!

I do hope you will take a moment to read this entire reflection because it contains some exciting news about the future of SatelliteGuys.

Just thinking about all the members we helped over the years brings a smile to my face… thinking about all the money we saved members in that time brings an even bigger smile to my face. Thinking about the hundreds of satellite industry scoops we have posted over the years also brings a huge smile to my face as well.

Over the years we have grown and grown and I am happy to say that we did it so that we are still a friendly site to visit. Some other forums are stuffy and if you don’t know the secret handshake then you don’t feel welcome. We openly welcome everyone to the SatelliteGuys Family.

I am also proud that over the last 8 years we have remained a site run by consumer for consumers. I am proud to have called things as I have seen them over the past 8 years. I have always strived to give you my true opinion on the state of the satellite industry. Some companies have no always been happy with what I have had to say, but quite honestly I don’t care as I have no one to answer to but you our members.

Looking ahead I am excited by the future, new satellite technology plus exciting new internet based technologies are going to change the way we watch television. SatelliteGuys will be there in helping you move ahead as the technology grows before our eyes!

Speaking of the future I am proud today to announce that next week we will be ordering a brand new state of the art server for SatelliteGuys! This new server is going to SCREAM!

The Specs on it are as follows:

Dell PowerEdge R710 Server
- 870W Hot Swap Redundant Power Supply
- 2 X Intel 2.93/12M/1333 Xeon Six Core 5670 - 95 Watt CPU’s
- 48GB (12x4G) DDR3 ECC RDIMM – Optimized
- Dell Perc H700 512MB Cache RAID Card
- 8 x Dell 146GB 15K 2.5" SAS Hard Drives
- Dell iDRAC6 Enterprise Remote Access Card
- Dell CD ROM Drive
- 3 Year Warranty

The new system will cost us almost $10,000 and will be paid for partially through the generous support of our Gold Sponsors, and I will be paying for the rest out of my own pocket. A number of Pub Members have asked if they can help chip in on some of the costs, so I will be accepting donations to help pay for it. (Thank you to the guys who asked if they could help!)

I am excited to announce that SatelliteGuys will also be moving… for the past 5 years we have had our servers located in Dallas, Texas, however due an increasing number of issues our ISP has been having we are moving our servers to a new host in Michigan. The new host has more backbone interconnects then our current ISP and offers us more in the way of support and services!

The new server will be hosted in Michigan and all data from the servers in Texas will be transferred over to the new server. Once things are synced between the servers we will then cut over to the new server. The old servers down in Texas will then be packaged up and shipped to our new ISP. Then those servers will be put in use and will allow us to expand even more!

Before I close I wanted to take a look back with some numbers…

Since SatelliteGuys started 8 years ago we have had over…
- 883 Posts per day
- 85 new threads per day
- 58 New Members sign up a day
- Transferred over 31,873 Terrabytes of data not including graphics, or CSS files which are served by our cloud servers.
- We served over 773,589,634 page views. (Over 45 million last month alone!)
- Last month alone we served almost 500,000 unique IP addresses! (489,624 actual number)

The best part about these numbers is we keep growing and growing!

I would like to thank our sponsors for their support over the last 8 years. If you have been here since the start you know that most of them have been here since the early days! The fact they remain sponsors speaks volumes about our site and our members! Thank you to everyone who has purchased something from our sponsors over the years!

I would also like to thank our Supporting Founders and our Pub Members for their support over the years! It has been these guys who have really helped us keep the lights on for everyone the past 8 years. It might not seem like a lot but each $20 Pub Membership really does help us out and I am proud to take that money and put it back into SatelliteGuys! I hope the benefits of being a Supporting Pub Member have been worth it and I am working on a few things to make it even a better value!

I need to thank our amazing SatelliteGuys staff! These guys have always been here to keep things running so well over the years. I wouldn’t have been able to do any of this if it was not for their help, advice and dedication. A few shout outs of thanks to the following staff members, first of all LER for all his help and keeping the servers running all these years! He is also a great help in finding our members help when they need it most. Thanks to Dfergie who takes care of a lot of the background operation of the site including wading through all the support emails we get from people looking for help. Thanks to RockyMtnHigh, Iceberg, and Ramy for being the Ironmen they are who not only work hard in their respective forum, but keep on working to make us look good! Thanks to Digiblur for all his hard work on our Uplink Center PC. I also thank all of the staff for elf’ing my posts over the years and helping me to look good.

I also want to take moment to reflect on the members who are no longer with us that have passed away including the Godfather of Uplink Reports John H.

A thank you to my wife who has let me spend all these countless hours over the past 8 years, I couldn’t have done it without her support.

Finally I would like to thank you and all of the members for making SatelliteGuys your home for Satellite News, Talk, Rumors and Information! Without you guys there would be no reason for us to run this site and continue to invest to make things better for you and our members!

Thank you for 8 amazing years of SatelliteGuys.US, and here is to 8 more!

Best,

Scott
Founder – SatelliteGuys.US

Last edited:
Congratulations on 8 years of keeping us informed on the latest technology and programming changes! Best wishes for the next 8 years!

Well said, Scott! We as members are grateful for the hard work you and the staff do. It's a pleasure to come here every day, sometimes MANY times a day to get the latest news on the industry, or just to connect with friends. Thank you, and thanks to Eva for letting you do it!

Congratulations Scott! You should be very proud. SatelliteGuys.US was your baby, and through your nurturing, it's become the great site we all love. I'm proud to be a member. I've said it before, this is the only Forum that I have become a paid member of. Not because I'm a cheap baster, just because SatelliteGuys.US members and you make it a site I want to support. I'm getting 10X return on my investment in this site, each & every day.
So here's to another 8 years!:hatsoff:

Ghpr13
Thor.gif
P.S. What other Forum ranks high enough to have the god of Thunder as it's member? None!

Agreed. Scott and the staff have worked hard to develop the reputation of Satguys as a safe, friendly and informative place to be.

But also, a special thanks to our members for keeping focus, for treating other members with respect at all times, and for the general welcoming attitude. Scott and crew can set the groundwork, but it is the members that make it happen.

Happy birthday, SatelliteGuys!
I am proud to be a member of this forum!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Happy Brithday SatGuys! I've only been here since year 6 but I plan on being here for the long run!

Nice server rig, too!

To those who asked I have added a Link on the top navigation bar to make donations to offset the cost of the new server (Thank you) or you can click here as well.

To anyone who is not a Pub Member and donates more then $20 I will give them a pub membership as part of their donation.

Thank you guys for your support the past 8 years! Thanks for helping us keep the lights on!

Status
Not open for further replies.