Happy Birthday to Roberto Clemente..

And he died a hero! Sir Charles claims athletes are not role models, and then there's Roberto Clemente! :)

Happy Birthday Mr. Clemente

Took in a few Pirates games at PNC last week and my son and I toured the ballpark that morning. This hangs over the entrance to the Bucco's dugout...

Pittsburgh Trip 073.jpg

They don't make 'em like the great Arriba anymore. A true roll model.

Took in a few Pirates games at PNC last week and my son and I toured the ballpark that morning. This hangs over the entrance to the Bucco's dugout...

View attachment 80316

They don't make 'em like the great Arriba anymore. A true roll model.

WOW! I am sooo dying to catch a Pirate game. I was really hoping this year, but it is look more and more like an impossibility. :(

I always wished I could have seen more of Clemente. His death was tragic.

IF you get a chance, go to you tube and watch "Roberto Clemente - Sportscentury" by ESPN. It was fantastic.

The best line that stood out, "though Clemente had only 224 lifetime home runs, he had a higher lifetime batting average than Willie Mays, Mantle and Hank Aaron"

He is still so very much missed on the island. There has been a big decline in baseball in the last 10 years in Puerto Rico. Even to the point where one year, there was no winter baseball on the island.

I grew up as a kid watching Roberto play right field for the Pirates the greatest right fielder to play the game and have never seen an arm like his since. Till this day I remember that new years day 1973 when announced that Roberto died in a plane crash taking supplies to earthquake in Nicaragua I was 14 and cried like a baby Roberto could do anything he wanted on a baseball field hit for average hit for power or if a pitcher threw at him it was for certain the next pitch was going to be hit right back at the pitcher just ask bob Gibson about his broken leg so happy birthday Roberto you will live forever iny house

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts