Happy with Directv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
I wanted to comment here how happy with Directv I have been. While yes they are lagging behind on nationals, and other movie channels in HD such as Epix. I am extremely happy that I dont have to wait for my game to be JIP'ed or have to worry about if any game is on what channel. I'm happy to tune into my local RSN and have programming in HD no matter what is on.

About a year ago when I switched to Directv all of the Nasayers in the dish forum said I would be complaining about Directv like how I did with dish. Not only have I not complained, Directv has impressed me with there service and boxes. VOD is freaking awesome, as well as MRV. As I found myself upgrading to 3D, Directv's 3D has been well implemented aside from ESPN3D.

Where Directv can improve is on the national HD level, (we all are aware of it). If I was head champ at directv, I would drop the PPV's down to 10 HD 1080P/I channels, DO the majority of the PPV via Push and Internet VOD download. Add National HD, to include Epix 1&2 and Outtermax and the last of the missing Cinimax channels. From there I would focus on AMCHD, BBCAHD, and a host of others.

Were I think directv dropped the ball is they were in buyout mode and no one ordered a satellite for this year and late last year to be launched. Missing out a few years has hurt directv. Now were going to have to wait for Directv to launch the next bird for more channels after the next festivus. A little insite would have prevented this. Anyhow hopefully they can get a bird up quicker than later!

It's refreshing to read a positive comment :). This forum's sure better, imo, than the other one.

I'm also happy with DirecTV and we know, as you mentioned, that they need to add more HD channels (the ones that most refer to as basic, AMCHD, BBCAHD, etc).

As many have pointed out, no service will have it all. From reading your post, I gathered that you are into sports. You made the right move, imo.

I like the service because it gives me unmatched sports coverage and I get enough movie/basic channels (HD) to where I'm ok with it although I'd love to see all of the Encores and the other channels that most seem to want (AMC, etc) be available in HD.

One thing that I've noticed at these forums, is that the naysayers are quick to post (ie, DirecTV's shortcomings), but when, say, we get the YES network sucessfully signed at DTV, I don't seem to read posts from some of the same group ;).

About a year ago when I switched to Directv all of the Nasayers in the dish forum said I would be complaining about Directv like how I did with dish. Not only have I not complained, Directv has impressed me with there service and boxes. VOD is freaking awesome, as well as MRV. As I found myself upgrading to 3D, Directv's 3D has been well implemented aside from ESPN3D.
Most of those whom believe others will not be happy with the other providers are those whom have never had the other provider to begin with.

I'm in the same boat...love my Directv

-MLB net fricken ROCKS!
-my RSN in HD 24/7...no need to check if its in HD, or JIP'd or where it is
-while I would like TruTv in HD, the HD I have is good
-I dont watch movies so I dont care if another provider has 99 movie channels in HD and Directv only has 20. The only time a premium movie channel is on my account is when it is during a freeview (and even then there was nothing I watched)
-The 90 minute buffer even when the unit is off I like. There are times I need to go run an errand and dont want to record the program I'm watching. Or if there is something I want to watch say an hour from now so I turn it to that channel so if I miss the 1st 5 minutes I can back it up
-I dont have to worry about what channel will be dropped next ;)

forgot about that...until recently Directv had 7 out of 10 locals in HD...1 is not even in HD to begin with and 1 they dont carry. They dont carry Ion in HD either (national feed)
Dish only carried Big 4...but now they are up to 6 in HD

Directv also carries a subchannel that Dish doesnt

Add me to the list of D* happy campers as well. We made the switch last Oct when we kept having issues with different DISH recievers. I love the fact the HD picture is much better and really like the layout of the guide... CC

As the saying goes, "Why fix it if it ain't broke?" Although a slight tweek might help. I've been happy with D* all the way back to when I originally got it in 98. Over the past 12+ years, I've upgraded and added equipment without any problems. Most CSR were extremely knowledgeable and all were very friendly. The install techs were polite and quick with installs. Upgrading to hd (Aug. 2010) was easy, should of done it earlier. All of my equipment has been almost trouble free, the R15 gave me some problems but I kept it until I had it replaced with a HR24, a month ago. Moving was easy and had no problems when I moved, I would call D* with my new address and that was it.

I too would like more hd added, but I prefer them to add regular broadcast channels (Trutv HD, Nat Geo Wild HD). Don't care much the premium channels.

I made the switch from E* to D* just 6 weeks ago and am pretty happy for the most part. I do miss some of the HD I used to get but the whole house DVR, full time RSN's and the more reasonable equipment lease fees make up for it.

I just had DirecTV successfully installed on Monday morning after a long, abusive and painful relationship with Dish Network.

The HD is amazing. As previously noted, it blows Dish out of the water. I have a 720p Sharp in my bedroom, and the picture is better on it than it ever was on my Vizio 1080i in the livingroom. I've also noticed that the SD is, in fact, a bit softer (not as sharp) as Dishes SD, however, I'd like to point out that there's nowhere near the amount of artifacts, which hints to me that the signal isn't as compressed.

I love having HD in my bedroom AND being able to watch TV even if two other shows are recording! I do miss being able to pause TV in the bedroom without recording it, but whatever. I also like the fact that I don't have a coax running up my stairs and into my bedroom anymore ;)

The VOD is AWESOME! I sub to the movie channels, so it's nice to finally have the real OnDemand counterparts.

The GUI is a lot more feature-rich and therefore not as easy to learn as Dish was.

*** I set up a favorites list to try and get rid of all the ShopDirecTV and Infomercial stations, but they still show up in the guide??? They're just shaded down a bit.. how do I hide the channels I don't want to watch from my Favorites list?***

Oh .. and the Logitech Revue works great.

*** I set up a favorites list to try and get rid of all the ShopDirecTV and Infomercial stations, but they still show up in the guide??? They're just shaded down a bit.. how do I hide the channels I don't want to watch from my Favorites list?***
make sure you have the favorites selected. I know my favorites have alot of channels not in the guide (shopping/religious/infomercial/ppv)

Yes616 said:
I made the switch from E* to D* just 6 weeks ago and am pretty happy for the most part. I do miss some of the HD I used to get but the whole house DVR, full time RSN's and the more reasonable equipment lease fees make up for it.

Hey Yes
How's it going?? Hope upstate is doing well.
You came over to the dark side lol.
I travel in both worlds.
I think Direc is excellent.
So is dish.
I still miss Voom. Dont think I'll
Ever forgive dish for the takedown.
Family loves dish so I leave things alone.

For the favorites list, question, hit Guide, "Yellow Button", Select Change Favorites List.

Love me my Directv. Very few complaints, AMC-SD only is about the only one that comes to mind regularly.

For the favorites list, question, hit Guide, "Yellow Button", Select Change Favorites List.

Love me my Directv. Very few complaints, AMC-SD only is about the only one that comes to mind regularly.

Figured out what I was doing wrong last night .. I had channels selected (the sports alternates and then up even higher, the PBS, CBS, NBC nationals) that I don't get, so it makes sense why they were showing up. I am now settled in and enjoying the service.

The HD is amazing. As previously noted, it blows Dish out of the water. I have a 720p Sharp in my bedroom, and the picture is better on it than it ever was on my Vizio 1080i in the livingroom. I've also noticed that the SD is, in fact, a bit softer (not as sharp) as Dishes SD, however, I'd like to point out that there's nowhere near the amount of artifacts, which hints to me that the signal isn't as compressed.

A Sharp tv will look better than a Vizio anyday. Sharp actually invented LCD and has a good panel and engine. My 1080p Aqous rocks.

Direct's SD is softened and Dish uses edge enhancement to sharpen. A softer picture does cover up artifacts too. Although Direct does compress less than Dish in most instances. Some of the SD can look quite good as pizza standards go. Can't touch true master SD and HD though.

I switched from E to D about 13 mos. ago. I love my sports and have RSNs 24/7. Also, the slimline 3 is so heavy duty I almost never have a dropout. No more calling the CSRs to complain-BIG RELIEF for all. Paul

Figured out what I was doing wrong last night .. I had channels selected (the sports alternates and then up even higher, the PBS, CBS, NBC nationals) that I don't get, so it makes sense why they were showing up. I am now settled in and enjoying the service.

ahh I've done that too ;)

I just had DirecTV successfully installed on Monday morning after a long, abusive and painful relationship with Dish Network.

I love having HD in my bedroom AND being able to watch TV even if two other shows are recording! I do miss being able to pause TV in the bedroom without recording it, but whatever. I also like the fact that I don't have a coax running up my stairs and into my bedroom anymore ;)

The VOD is AWESOME! I sub to the movie channels, so it's nice to finally have the real OnDemand counterparts.

The GUI is a lot more feature-rich and therefore not as easy to learn as Dish was.

I switched back to DirecTV from Dish about a month ago. I have been very pleased to be back. I miss some of the features that the 922 and the 722 had but not very much. I have two HR24 receivers and have been VERY pleased with them. I love MRV and the VOD that DirecTV offers. Also I find that the HD quailty is much better than Dish. I suppose that Dish HD would be better if they did not cram 8 and sometimes 9 or 10 channels to a transponder. I miss some of the HD channels that are missing on DirecTV like AMC and TruTV, but I like having the extra Showtime, Starz and ThrillerMax in HD. I find that the customer service is nicer too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)