Happy with Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I switched from C to D on April 1st 1999 & I have never looked back.I switched because C kept blacking out Philadelphia sports in my area.Now I get almost all Flyers games' with the exception of the broadcast by the NHLN (partially owned by C).I got it for the sports & I wouldn't think of ever going anywhere else.

I switched from C to D on April 1st 1999 & I have never looked back.I switched because C kept blacking out Philadelphia sports in my area.Now I get almost all Flyers games' with the exception of the broadcast by the NHLN (partially owned by C).I got it for the sports & I wouldn't think of ever going anywhere else.

NHL Net is partially owned by Com ****, I didn't know that .... I really don't watch NHL N all that often, thankfully they don't own MLB Net,I watch that daily.

I was with Dish for over 9 years and loved my 921. Switched to DirecTV almost 3 years ago. Got stuck with an HR21, which is slow and has a small hard disk. Haven't been very impressed with it, although it has been reliable.

But where D* has won my heart is with the quality of the HD channels as compared to Dish. Far better. Very noticeably better. When Dish first added HD the quality was fantastic. But it went downhill, downhill, downhill, to the point of where I had a hard time watching it.

I can live with my slow-poke HR21. I can live with fewer national HD channels. As long as the HD quality remains high. Not as good as Dish was in those early days of HD, when channels like HDNET were broadcast in full 1920x1080 and given around 14-15 Mbps of bandwidth (I doubt we ever get this again from a satellite provider). But pretty good.

NHL Net is partially owned by Com ****, I didn't know that .... I really don't watch NHL N all that often, thankfully they don't own MLB Net,I watch that daily.

the NHL owns 85% of NHL Network....crapcast owns 15%

I have them both, Dish and direc.
My family loves dish! Kids and wife refuse to use anything else.

When Voom was around on dish nothing looked better.

However, I brought direc into my home many years ago for my Ny teams.
Mainly to watch my Ny Jets.

Now, all i watch is direc. The picture is so crisp and sharp.
Yes the 922 is slightly better than the HR24.

Also the direc app for my iphone is fantastic.

But i love mrv and some of the cool
features on the HR24. Quick tune, the apps!
I check scores constantly. Love that!!

The HR24 is so much faster than the old direc dvrs. Much improved!

The gap is closing on dish dvrs.

Not as good as Dish was in those early days of HD, when channels like HDNET were broadcast in full 1920x1080 and given around 14-15 Mbps of bandwidth (I doubt we ever get this again from a satellite provider). But pretty good.

And how about those VOOM channels! I don't know if Dish broadcast them in full 1920x1080, but it was close and they looked great. The VOOM satellite service broadcast them in full 1920x1080 before they went boom...

Some of the VOOM channels were also very good quality. This was back in the day when Dish had only 3 HD channels per transponder. They were using less efficient encoding, so they could hit the same quality today with less bandwidth, but Dish's present super compressed 8 HD channels per transponder are significantly degraded.

D*'s present HD is not as good as those early Dish channels, but it is pretty decent. Which is to be expected given that average D* HD channel gets 60% more bandwidth than the average E* HD channel.

If we had our choice of remaining with the current HD lineup & image quality, vs a 20% reduction in bandwidth per HD channel and 10 more HD channels, I'd vote for keeping it as it is.

D*'s present HD is not as good as those early Dish channels, but it is pretty decent. Which is to be expected given that average D* HD channel gets 60% more bandwidth than the average E* HD channel.

If we had our choice of remaining with the current HD lineup & image quality, vs a 20% reduction in bandwidth per HD channel and 10 more HD channels, I'd vote for keeping it as it is.

Like myself and some others have said for years, we'd rather have QUALITY over quantity !

-The 90 minute buffer even when the unit is off I like. There are times I need to go run an errand and dont want to record the program I'm watching. Or if there is something I want to watch say an hour from now so I turn it to that channel so if I miss the 1st 5 minutes I can back it up
-I dont have to worry about what channel will be dropped next ;)

Why didn't anyone tell me about the 90 minute buffer! I've had D* since early March and didn't discover it until yesterday when I tried to back up for the Sportsticker on ESPN. I was surprised that I could back up to a time previous to when I turned it on. I had just figured that it hadn't shut off the last time I turned the tv off. Now I know it wasn't my imagination!!!!! Are there any other little features like this that I should know about? I've preferred E*'s 722 to the HR24 since I switched over, but little by little, I'm discovering things that make me like the HR24 more and more.

Got home last night, turned on the tv and inception was on maybe a half hour in. I started to watch it and decided to hit record so I could watch it in bed... To my surprise, it recorded the entire movie, including what was buffered, so I got to watch the whole thing.awesome feature.

smitbret....I have a R22 (its like a HR21 but can be used on SD only accounts) so I cant comment on other options the HR24 does

Got home last night, turned on the tv and inception was on maybe a half hour in. I started to watch it and decided to hit record so I could watch it in bed... To my surprise, it recorded the entire movie, including what was buffered, so I got to watch the whole thing.awesome feature.

yep it will buffer the last 90 minutes so if you hit record while watching it (anywhere in the buffer time but on the program) it will record the whole program (as long as the buffer hasnt gone past the beginning of the program)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)