Hard drive error

The King

Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Ill start off by asking if removing the flaming hard drive is a hack, if so, you can close this thread.

I wanted to replace my hard drive in my dishPVR508 model reveiver... not only because it was small... but it started smoking the other night. I took the case off it and right away i noticed that it was done for. The platters were fine, but the PCB was melted. This is the 6th one that has done this, but this one was out of warranty, so I didnt see any need in attempting to renew the warranty when I "thought" I could simply replace the HDD for free.

I got a newer hard drive of the exact same model(Maxtor diamondmax 16 80gb) which had been being used in my computer for quite a while, but still in tip-top shape. I followed instructions I was given on multiple forums, to simply replace with a brand new hard drive, Mine had been used, but I deleted the partition tables and format structurers via windows setup. I think this makes it new.

Once I put it back in, I get error 041c(i think) and it just goes to the "you need to buy dish 500 service" message.

If anyone needs bill pictures or pics of my attempt to fix this to prove im not trying to get free service hacks, I can do so.

Contact the dishmod group on the Yahoo Groups dishmod-subscribe@yahoogroups.com . They can give you all the info necessary to "marry" the new hard drive to the unit. It is not just as simple as put in a new HD. The HD must be on a specific list of hard drives and a certain proceedure must be followed to make it work. You can also install a 100gb Hd (from the approved list) and make the 508 a 510 but still without a DVR fee.

Last edited:
Thanks alot bro!

Ill post back with results after I get some info from them.

is that an email addy? If I send a message to that will I get a reply?

Last edited:
That is the address to subscribe to the group.

Then you go to:

groups.yahoo.com/groups/dishmod

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)