Hard Drive Failure

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Todd Lewis

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2016
Spring Hill, TN
I am not very happy right now. Watching TV tonight. While I was flipping channels back and forth the picture went black. I could still hear everything. Every channel and recording I tried I got the same result. No picture and good audio.

So I decided to pull the plug, waited 15-20 seconds and then plugged it back in. After several tries to reboot, it finally come back on. But, all my recordings are now gone. Hard drive failure. I just finished transferring ALL of my recordings from my EHD yesterday. I am so mad right now.

I am not very happy right now. Watching TV tonight. While I was flipping channels back and forth the picture went black. I could still hear everything. Every channel and recording I tried I got the same result. No picture and good audio.

So I decided to pull the plug, waited 15-20 seconds and then plugged it back in. After several tries to reboot, it finally come back on. But, all my recordings are now gone. Hard drive failure. I just finished transferring ALL of my recordings from my EHD yesterday. I am so mad right now.
Most times I have seen an instance of sound with no picture, it was either a faulty HDMI cable or one not seated well into its inputs.

If you are seeing an error message that say's "Hard Drive Failure", then never mind.

But if you are just guessing HD failure because you can no longer see the picture, try the HDMI cable first.

Reactions: THE5RIVERS
Not the HDMI. Hard drive failure. 311A error. Unfortunately nothing I can do. They are sending me a new receiver in 2-4 days. Not happy at all. I got my new equipment in less than 24 hours.

Not the HDMI. Hard drive failure. 311A error. Unfortunately nothing I can do. They are sending me a new receiver in 2-4 days. Not happy at all. I got my new equipment in less than 24 hours.
Your's is the second quick HDD failure I have seen from the posters here. My thought on why they had stuck with the 2T size was because they had found it has less failure.

Awful for you, I know...but I hope it isn't the sign of things to come.

Please keep us posted on the outcome of this. I personally have had the HDD message, no recordings (had hundreds) and could not record anything. After about 10 hours, a few restarts by the red button and a couple of long unplugs (10-15 minutes) during that time all of a sudden in the evening I was watching live TV, checked the DVR list then I saw the recordings I had and could record again. Like nothing happened. Almost seemed like some bad data was encountered and the Hopper eventually recovered the file structure for the drive contents and it fixed itself.

Either way, a hard drive error is not generally not a good thing!

I believe Dish would have to move to a different chipset vendor, or a different Broadcom chipset, to handle greater than 2TB. But maybe that's just for EHDs.

Please keep us posted on the outcome of this. I personally have had the HDD message, no recordings (had hundreds) and could not record anything. After about 10 hours, a few restarts by the red button and a couple of long unplugs (10-15 minutes) during that time all of a sudden in the evening I was watching live TV, checked the DVR list then I saw the recordings I had and could record again. Like nothing happened. Almost seemed like some bad data was encountered and the Hopper eventually recovered the file structure for the drive contents and it fixed itself.

Either way, a hard drive error is not generally not a good thing!

I also got mine to work after a HDD failure message a couple of times, but after 2-3 times its just not working anymore. I had a new one sent to me.

That does suck big time, especially considering you just transferred everything from your EHD,

This is one of the reasons why I have never bothered to transfer back to the Hopper.

Actually, all the recordings were back the next morning. Not sure what to think. The receiver has worked flawlessly since Sunday morning. The new receiver will arrive today, but I am not sure if I should switch it out or not.

Actually, all the recordings were back the next morning. Not sure what to think. The receiver has worked flawlessly since Sunday morning. The new receiver will arrive today, but I am not sure if I should switch it out or not.
If you switch to the new one, you will have to go through all the wait time again for everything to get up to snuff.

Copy your recordings back to the EHD.

Copy your recordings back to the EHD.
Might be a good thing to do. I remember the Hopper with sling "free upgrade" lasted a little over a year before the hard drive crashed. We were lucky it was in the summer time and we didn't have too many programs saved, but still it was not a good thing to happen when the Hopper is the most used appliance in our house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts