Hard Drive problem on HR21-700

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bob@wes-texdrillingcompan

Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Texas
This happened on one of my HR21-700's last night (12/29). When we turned on the box it was on FOX News Channel HD but would not respond to remote control or the buttons on front of the box. I did the red reset button trick. This always fixed it before when that happened.

I left the room, and when I came back in there was a blue screen that said "A problem has been detected with your hard drive. The drive will be scanned to see if it can fix it." It took about 90 minutes to scan. Made it to 100%. After it finished scanning, it rebooted and went through the startup sequence. It got to "Checking satellite settings" and stayed there for several seconds and then went through the blue screen hard drive problem and scanned again.

After it scanned twice with the same result I unplugged the box and left it unplugged for a minute or so. Same result when I plugged it back in. I called support this morning from work but they said that I needed to be in front of my tv when I called.

Has anybody else ever encountered this? Is there a fix for this or am I looking at getting a new DVR?

The same thing happened to me about a month ago. I experienced the same symptoms as you described with the final realization the hard drive of my HR21-700 was dead. The DirecTV Rep I talked to had me go through all the steps to try to resolve the problem, but with no success. DirecTV ended up sending me a new HR22-100 in place of the dead HR21-700. I did have to pay shipping and they did inadvertently charge me for the receiver which I had to call the rep to get that removed. Good luck!

Chances are it's Bad and you need a replacement.
The CSR will only cause you frustration as they will run you thru the same things you've already done, but they can only do so much.
IF your lucky you can get them to just send you one in the mail and return the old one in the return box they will send out to you.

Jimbo

I called D and they walked me through trying to do a hard disk reformat, but it wouldn't even respond. I wound up getting a new HR22-100. Everything is back to normal, except now my wife has more recording capacity than I do! :cool:

Man, these HDD error screens have been popping up a lot lately. Wonder if the manufacturer got a bad batch. A coworker just had his hr21 crap out with the same thing.

Man, these HDD error screens have been popping up a lot lately. Wonder if the manufacturer got a bad batch. A coworker just had his hr21 crap out with the same thing.

Kinda depends on how old they are, are these people with NEW ones or ones that have been in service for quite a while now.
That would make a huge difference.

Status
Please reply by conversation.