Hard drive replacement on a Dish 722 k

Tjpkelley

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2005
Is there a way to replace the Hard drive in a Dish 722k receiver? What hard drive will work. Is there any special way to program the Hard drive? I know this has been asked before but that was several years ago.

Yes it is possible, but you have to locate a rare drive among a relative few known to the firmware. There used to be a guy calling himself P.Smith who intercepted the software downloads and reverse engineered it to figure out which models worked. He became worried that Dish would take him to court over his hacking and quit doing that. IMHO there is bad hacking and good hacking, and hacking devices to add features or fix bugs is IMHO good. Especially when the manufacturer won't do it themselves.

Good luck finding that list. :(

Here is a link to a discussion of this from 2010.

Reactions: TheKrell
Finding such an old model will be, shall we say, “challenging.”

Maybe used, but how risky is that?

Sorry, but it may be time to move to a Hopper. And by that, I mean a Hopper 3. Even if it costs a few bucks to upgrade. At least, you will be buying many years of use, as well as better functionality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a way to replace the Hard drive in a Dish 722k receiver? What hard drive will work. Is there any special way to program the Hard drive? I know this has been asked before but that was several years ago.

If you need to replace your 722k for hard drive issues, our agents can do that and it doesn't cost anything to replace besides shipping, which is waived if you have Dish Protect. We do strongly recommend upgrading to the Hopper with Sling or Hopper 3 though, those older boxes are on their way out! :)

- Phoenix

If you need to replace your 722k for hard drive issues, our agents can do that and it doesn't cost anything to replace besides shipping, which is waived if you have Dish Protect. We do strongly recommend upgrading to the Hopper with Sling or Hopper 3 though, those older boxes are on their way out! :)

- Phoenix
But pound for pound, the 722k is the best receiver.

That’s like saying a Camaro is better than a Corvette because you like Camaros better
No, it is saying that Roy Jones Jr. was the best boxer “pound for pound” even though he’d likely lose to Evander Holyfield or Lennox Lewis.

Hopper 3 is the best overall, but at $7 a month and two tuner outputs and an option for two additional OTA’s, the 722k is best “pound for pound”.

I am a retired Echostar tech and I like to work on my owned equipment. Also my wife is used to the 722. If I find the right hard drive what do I have to do once I replace the failed drive.

Reactions: dishdude

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)