This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Harmony Remote to offer RF/IR

Mark_AR

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
North Arkansas
I just got an email response from Harmony Remote. They plan on offering an RF/IR remote later this year.

Here is the email I got from them:

It would be nice for 522/811/921 Support! 8)

Wil la 508 or 811 accept IR signals for channel changing, stc. It would be nice to have a universal remote in my basement (for my 508 and 811) and still be able to use the RF remote for controlling the 508 from my master bedroom 2 floors up

If they do RF like others, the RF will simply be a transport mechanism to carry the IR signal. The IR signal is sent via RF to a receiver that transmits the IR signal to the components in the room.

I don't know that any of the currently available products send out a signal that is compatible with the antenna on the back of Dish's RF-capable receivers.

I hope I'm wrong and that Harmony's new remote will be able to do this without a receiver for the Dish receiver signals, but I doubt it.

Ransack said:
Wil la 508 or 811 accept IR signals for channel changing, stc. It would be nice to have a universal remote in my basement (for my 508 and 811) and still be able to use the RF remote for controlling the 508 from my master bedroom 2 floors up

I have used my harmony to control the 811, 6000, and 510 via IR. I absolutely love the Harmony... its the best $150 I ever spent.

It is very likely that this staement is correct and we're out of luck. This is the same as with the MX-600/800(?). According to HTMaster these remotes will NOT learn and duplicate the RF signals from another remote but will instead allow for sending the IR signals to a remote rcvr via RF.

sigh....