Harrisburg, PA DMA in HD

The retailer told me it depends on who installed your system. He said Dish has been giving the installers a hard time lately. They don't want to pay them after they install so they are being very cautious in what the DO install.

I'm pretty sure my install was a mistake; Dish officially doesn't want to install 1000.4 dishes for existing customers yet --- only for new subs, who get new receivers with the new smart card in them.

I just got "lucky" when I got on a chat and got a CSR who happily scheduled an installer to migrate me. The installer didn't realize dish was migrating existing customers to eastern arc (because they aren't supposed to). When the 72.7 channels didn't work (I get a blank screen on all of them), he didn't know why, the tech at Dish he called didn't know why, and the "boss" at the installer's company didn't know why. ALL of them insisted, though, that it wasn't the smart card.

Later that night, I got on a chat with a Dish tech rep who, after about 30 minutes, figured out that I need a new smart card. Nothing to be done until the new card arrives, which apparently can't be accelerated. That tech said, "This is why you weren't supposed to get an eastern arc dish."

I've only lost one channel that I watch (comedy central) often, so I can live with it if the new card somes "soon."

Ken

I am near Carlisle. I called directly to Dish and not through a retailer. They never told me why I was able to get the 1000.4. They only said that since i was long time HD customer with 2 HD receivers they would schedule me for the install - it was great.

Ok, here's the deal. I worked through a reseller and they got the real deal for me.

The Harrisburg DMA is the ONLY area in this situation. This is why the Dish people are confused when you call them. They are not trained for this scenario.

They have been trained to deny 1000.4 installations because most areas cannot use them at all due to the mpeg4 and new encryption (smart card) restrictions.

Long story short, it's exactly what I wanted..... Dish 500 for standard def channels on 110/119 (DIsh 500) and a 1000.4 installed as a wing dish.

Eventually, once you have the new smart card and all mpeg4 receivers, they may allow users to migrate to the 61.5/72/77 using the eastern arc 1000.4 dish ONLY. THis means you could take down your Dish 500 system all together.

Currently they are not allowing this because most people don't have the proper setup to use it. New customers would get the eastern arc 1000.4 dish only in the harrisburg dma if they wanted HD.

By the way, I'm getting it installed through a local reseller but they said if dish scheduled it they woudl probably do the same they just don't know it.

Well, got my smart card today (I'm wondering if the email I sent to ceo@echostar.com had something to do with it's timely arrival... probably just a coincidence). Stuck it in, and now my ea installation is fine. I still have the 500 aimed at 110, but it serves no purpose anymore; I'll take it down sometime soon.

Got my HD locals ('cept for CBS) and everything I used to have. Life is a tiny bit better.

Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)