Has anybody tried to get out of Dish contract

Shamus46

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
Chemung, NY
I was wondering, with dish having all these problems, if anybody has tried to get out of their contract with Dish?
I have the VIP622 and an 18 month contract and am thinking it might be time to switch to Direct. :( Dish is starting to get to expensive for me. A few months ago I purchased the DVR942 when both my dealer and Dish told me that MPEG4 was years down the road.:mad: About a month later they said MPEG4 was coming and we needed the VIP622 So I took a real beating on that. I’m at the point were I just want out of Dishes crap and with Direct coming out with the new HR20 DVR I think it’s time to switch.
I’m wondering how much it’s going to cost me to get out of my contract with Dish.

Last edited:
I think it's around 13.89 x (no. of mo's left). Good luck getting out of your contract. Call customer retention and tell them you are unhappy. they may get you a programming deal or hardware.

Understand your frustration but D* has its own share. Even if you get D*'s HD DVR, you won't have much to record.

mbetts said:
Understand your frustration but D* has its own share. Even if you get D*'s HD DVR, you won't have much to record.

Even less right now with the HR20 (NO OTA)

Shamus46 said:
Dish is starting to get to expensive for me.
How many price increases has Dish had in the past 18 months ??
A few months ago I purchased the DVR942 when both my dealer and Dish told me that MPEG4 was years down the road.:mad: About a month later they said MPEG4 was coming and we needed the VIP622 So I took a real beating on that.
Sounds like your issue is with your uneducated dealer, not directly with Dish Network.

hall said:
How many price increases has Dish had in the past 18 months ??
Sounds like your issue is with your uneducated dealer, not directly with Dish Network.

Well stated.

Last edited:
mbetts said:

Plus their committment is 2 years.

Yeah Direct Tv is falling behind big time!! Dish blows them out of the water and you will be getting less content when you switch.

Hd will be the draw that keeps people as satellite customers.

IN fact Dish has already reconginized this and added over 30 hd channels . Directv has recognized it as well but went with locals hd stations over National ones. This might be the one way that Satellite customers can keep attracting new customers. IF they can give us good quality hd in abundance but with great pq and not hd lite ,then they will have something to take to the table.

They can buy time with Hd additions while they work some kind of broadband deals with the telecos like ATT and QUEST. They already have one with WIld Blue for rural customers. Video on demand would be the next thing they can start working on with the respective companies.

I don't really know why cable and everyone else seems to think that bundeled deals are the way to go. I like having the option to leave my phone company and change to another without losing my sat tv and my dsl as well. Right now I have ATT for phone and dsl. This gives me the only bundeled deal I have. I also have had Dish since 97 and it is not bundeled. As for cell phone I have T- mobile. The best deal for all of them is what I have. I wouldn't save that much money a month by bundeling and with ATT the bundel discounts go a way after a few months anyway. I noticed this with my phone and dsl accounts.

I think it would be advantages for both sat companies to add as much Hd as they can but in the highest resoultions so they could attract the high end customers and with the mpeg4 transition they could expose more and more new customers to hd through the new dvrs that do both hd and sd. The future is HIGH DEF.

So....you want to leave Dish to give DTV more money?

After paying the lease upgrade fee for the HD DVR, how is DTV going to be cheaper?

hall said:
A few months ago I purchased the DVR942 when both my dealer and Dish told me that MPEG4 was years down the road. About a month later they said MPEG4 was coming and we needed the VIP622 So I took a real beating on that

The gentleman is right, it was said on a Charlie Crap that it would be a year or two before Dish initiated MPEG 4 because it wasn't shown to be any improvement over MPEG 2.
So the issue IS with Dish !

Consider all of that and be armed when you call Dish and site lies or misinformation in how you were sold. They will let people out. If you did not sign a third-party contract with your install company, you may be let off, if in fact you were lied to. Consider that they may offer you a nice deal through customer retention to keep you. If you have dual tuner/s with an active phone hookup, take the deal. DTV cannot match it. Good Luck!
Tom

jmd102354 said:
The gentleman is right, it was said on a Charlie Crap that it would be a year or two before Dish initiated MPEG 4 because it wasn't shown to be any improvement over MPEG 2.
So the issue IS with Dish !

JMD,

I'm pretty sure that is NOT what he said. He said that the MPEG4 encoders right now are NOT giving Dish very much in efficiency over MPEG2. What he did say was that eventually all channels would be MPEG4, but that MPEG4 would be used for all of the HD channels first.

Dish is using MPEG4 compression for some of the HD channels RIGHT NOW, others are only using a MPEG4 headers but the actual compression is MPEG2. MPEG4 compression will yield much more bandwidth but at the moment the realtime encoders are not powerful enough.

John

JohnL said:
JMD,

I'm pretty sure that is NOT what he said.

John

You are WRONG ! They said they were working on 8PSK improvements, instead of MPEG4.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)