Has anyone gotten out of D* contract without paying E.T. fee?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ucsbgaucho

Original poster
May 20, 2004
I really want to get out of DirecTV and switch to Voom to try it out, since Voom has now all the channels I'd want, espcially now that they've added ESPN and Fox News. Problem is I'm still in my original 1-year agreement from last summer (ordered through an online retailer with their own 1-year rule), and then in December I got the Tivo deal that DirecTV was running, which I believe added another year commitment.

My beef is that when I signed up last summer, DTV said my local channels would be available in September of last year. Then it was changed to last quarter of 2003. Then it was changed to April. In March I received a postcard saying local channels were about to be set up and I'd get the first month free. Well now May is almost over and still no local channels.

My question is, do you think I can use this against DirecTV and get out of my contract without paying the early termination fee? Or at least fulfilling my original 1-year commitment (which I think runs for another month and a half) and then cancelling, so I avoid paying the fee from the online retailer? Has anyone had any experience with getting out of their contract without paying? Seems to me only fair that if DirecTV is not holding their end of the bargain, I should be able to do the same.

Well they were also "supposed" to come out last September, then in November, then April, so I'm not holding my breath. But still, do you think this could be something I could bring up with them to get out of the contract?

as said you will actully see your locals in June. The reason why they never made it before was been sloved. The satellite is up and ready for operation now, unlike before. stay with DirecTV, if you cancel you will be sorry in the long run. no deals when you decide to come back.

ucsbgaucho said:
I really want to get out of DirecTV and switch to Voom to try it out, since Voom has now all the channels I'd want, espcially now that they've added ESPN and Fox News. Problem is I'm still in my original 1-year agreement from last summer (ordered through an online retailer with their own 1-year rule), and then in December I got the Tivo deal that DirecTV was running, which I believe added another year commitment.

My beef is that when I signed up last summer, DTV said my local channels would be available in September of last year. Then it was changed to last quarter of 2003. Then it was changed to April. In March I received a postcard saying local channels were about to be set up and I'd get the first month free. Well now May is almost over and still no local channels.

My question is, do you think I can use this against DirecTV and get out of my contract without paying the early termination fee? Or at least fulfilling my original 1-year commitment (which I think runs for another month and a half) and then cancelling, so I avoid paying the fee from the online retailer? Has anyone had any experience with getting out of their contract without paying? Seems to me only fair that if DirecTV is not holding their end of the bargain, I should be able to do the same.

Try calling Voom now to schedule and install after your contract expires. If you call and order now you should still be eligible for the no cost install option.

When you added TiVo you started a new 1 year contract, check that contract out I think if you did purchase in December you are under the old contract. The current contract lets you out free if you return your equipment. Of course with the posted changes coming to VOOM you might want to think twice about changing services. Do you really want a 30" dish and a two year contract, Do you want a $40 month package for 1 receiver without the major HD programmers included in that price? HBO,Showtime, Starz are only $14.90 per service extra and locals are only available with a TV antenna. Is the grass greener on the other side of the fence?

boba said:
When you added TiVo you started a new 1 year contract, check that contract out I think if you did purchase in December you are under the old contract. The current contract lets you out free if you return your equipment. Of course with the posted changes coming to VOOM you might want to think twice about changing services. Do you really want a 30" dish and a two year contract, Do you want a $40 month package for 1 receiver without the major HD programmers included in that price? HBO,Showtime, Starz are only $14.90 per service extra and locals are only available with a TV antenna. Is the grass greener on the other side of the fence?
in regards to HDTV the grass is mile high on the other ide of the fence..only a small pitiful handful of HD on D* with no plans of adding anything anytime soon

Call them up and tell them you are gonna cancel because you signed up last summer under the assumption you were getting locals last year and they keep jacking you around. Threaten to sue them if not. lol. Direct are pretty cool and understanding usually about service. Tell them you were given a better deal at Dish and they have always had locals and the only reason you didn't go with them was you thought Direct was getting them and are tired of waiting cause you can't ick up locals over the air.

If you return the equipment back to Direct tv the are supposed to cancel out the account without a Termination Fee, that doesn't apply to any third party co. that may have installed the Equipment.

boba said:
Is the grass greener on the other side of the fence?

You'd have to be smoking the grass on your side of the fence to not see how much greerer the grass is on the other side.

The fact is the locals will be going on in June. The satellite has been launched and is currently in the testing phase.

I don't think you'll have much of an arguement if you call up and say you've been "jacked around" about locals. I can guarentee they will just tell you the exact date that your locals will be turned on, and not much else. They may however give you 6 months of locals for free, or 6 months of a premium package. It wouldn't hurt to call and see what they offer you.

I would stay with D* though. More HD will be coming once the new satellite is operational.

I was just looking at VOOM's website, and I realized they don't have nearly as much HD as I thought they did. The first time I went there and looked, I thought everything was in HD. Which was odd because I wondered why anyone would want to watch the weather channel in HD.

In reality they only have the HD premium channels, Bravo, Discovery, ESPN, Playboy, and then 10 Voom originals. That is a more than d* and e*, but I had assumed everything is in HD.

Really the only difference is the voom originals. How good are these? Has anybody here ever watched any of them?

Also I just noticed it looks like Bravo HD, Discovery HD, and Espn HD are all apart of a premium package called "HD Marquee." This is really a crappy deal. So most of the real HD channels aren't even included in the base package? Is this right? Do the voom originals even come in the base package?

ucsbgaucho said:
Well they were also "supposed" to come out last September, then in November, then April, so I'm not holding my breath. But still, do you think this could be something I could bring up with them to get out of the contract?

So when is VOOM getting your locals?

Well their website says that Digital Locals are include free (*ehem with an off-air antenna).

You had asked about the ET fee. My neighbor went into forclosure and was not subbed for 3 months, did not pay his bill or the ET fee.

He got some big jobs, bought is house at auction (CASH) and called D*, they said see a retailer, get a new 1-yr agreement and all is forgiven.

So ... just stiff them. If you go back under a new 1-yr deal your good

On the Voom side, I am getting installed on Wednesday, I'll be sure and post to this thread after the install and let you all know how it went, how it is and how the HD is.

FYI, if you call before the end of May it is a free install (dish, OTA and Receiver) if you call 6/1/04 or later it is a $199 install and 2-year contract. I would try it while it was risk-free if I were you, nothing to lose now, but there will be later.

skaeight said:
I was just looking at VOOM's website, and I realized they don't have nearly as much HD as I thought they did. The first time I went there and looked, I thought everything was in HD. Which was odd because I wondered why anyone would want to watch the weather channel in HD.

In reality they only have the HD premium channels, Bravo, Discovery, ESPN, Playboy, and then 10 Voom originals. That is a more than d* and e*, but I had assumed everything is in HD.

Also I just noticed it looks like Bravo HD, Discovery HD, and Espn HD are all apart of a premium package called "HD Marquee." This is really a crappy deal. So most of the real HD channels aren't even included in the base package? Is this right? Do the voom originals even come in the base package?

Here is a list of all HD channels on Voom:

HDNews HD - Basic
HD Cinema10 HD (10 movie channels) - Basic
Monsters HD - Basic
Epics HD - Basic
WorldSport HD - Basic
Rush HD - Basic
Rave HD - Basic
Ultra HD - Basic
Treasure HD - Basic
Gallery HD - Basic
MOOV HD - Basic
Animania HD - Basic
HBO HD East HD - Premium
HBO HD West HD - Premium
Cinemax HD East HD - Premium
Cinemax HD West HD - Premium
SHOWTIME HD East HD - Premium
SHOWTIME HD West HD - Premium
TMC HD HD - Premium
STARZ! HD East HD - Premium
STARZ! HD West HD - Premium
Encore E HD HD - Premium
ESPN HD HD - Basic
Bravo HD+ HD - Basic
Discovery HD Theater HD - Basic
TNT-HD HD - Basic
Playboy Hot HD - Premium

HD Marquee is part of the basic package. The basic package includes all the Voom channels (including all standard defintion channels), except the premium movie channels such as StarZ, HBO, Showtime, etc.

Really the only difference is the voom originals. How good are these? Has anybody here ever watched any of them?

As you can see from the above, the difference is much more than just the Voom originals. However, the Voom originals are getting much better. More movies, a new concert in HD every Friday night, my wife loves the old Monster movies, great soccer games in HD, and so much more. I hope this helps.

Oh, if you're wondering, why I'm browsing in DirecTV forum, I'm thinking of dropping Dish and going with DirecTV. Keeping Voom.

as a cust retention rep with dtv i hear these sob storys every day . if you threaten to get a lawyer and sue dtv we just say " bring it on" the money you spend to retain a lawyer and try and take it to court will pale in comparison to the early cancel fee. most lawyers wont take the case cause they know you will loose.
Iam not trying to come off as uppity but you enter into a contract with the install and its your abligation to keep your end of the agreement

Actually in many states etf's are not enforcable. I have been able to help many people get out cell phone contracts, etc. without having to pay an etf, just depends what state you are in.

Jaded13 said:
as a cust retention rep with dtv i hear these sob storys every day . if you threaten to get a lawyer and sue dtv we just say " bring it on" the money you spend to retain a lawyer and try and take it to court will pale in comparison to the early cancel fee. most lawyers wont take the case cause they know you will loose.
Iam not trying to come off as uppity but you enter into a contract with the install and its your abligation to keep your end of the agreement
Jaded13
I assume you mean your a Customer Retention Representative for DirecTV and as a representative of DirecTV you are implying that the "Customer" is never right?

Jaded13 said:

I believe you are a customer retention, judging by your spelling. Loose=lose abligation=obligation.
I have spoken with many customer retention reps at Directv, they have not delivered on locals as advertised that alone is a reason to get out of the contract. AS LONG AS IT CAN BE PROVEN THEY ADVERTISED LOCALS BY A CERTAIN DATE. all in all i think you should just send them the equiptment back and be done with it. but only because thats the right thing to do.

Status
Please reply by conversation.