Has anyone tried out the MANHATTAN DJ-1997?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lassar

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
Illinois
I was looking for a fta receiver and came across the MANHATTAN DJ-1997.

Has anyone use this receiver for fta?

And used IPTV on this receiver to get internet radio?

I was looking for a fta receiver and came across the MANHATTAN DJ-1997.

Has anyone use this receiver for fta?

And used IPTV on this receiver to get internet radio?

Hey Lassar,
I have used the Manhattan 1997 receiver since it first came out; I got two of the first 200 receivers made actually. There were some minor problems at first, but quickly fixed with support that's located in northern Wisconsin; support continues to this day with a new firmware release for IPTV. It's now a very good receiver to use for anyone wishing to get started into FTA. I have tried IPTV, it works for most streaming channels depending on your IP connection, but not all steaming channels will work; nature of the beast. I have not used IPTV extensively, but it's not too difficult to enter in an online channel to view using the remote; provided you have the correct link address. The remote has been very good and easy to use, never had a problem with it. I mostly use the 1997 receiver for FTA satellite signals and various C-Band Dish projects so far, sometimes known as The Manhattan Project. :-D The satellite tuner is good, and it's not too difficult to enter a new Transponder Frequency and/or individual channels within the Transponder on the TV or Radio side. The 1997 Reciever does good on C-Band channels using a 1.2M motorized or stationary dish, as well as Ku-Band signals using a 90cm dish. Just takes time to get used to and discover it's features. It's comparable to the also good Geosatpro 3500 receiver which is popular on this forum. Don't be afraid to buy this receiver, the price has come down quite a bit, and I think you will like it. I hope this might help, I'm sorry if this is too long. :)

Reactions: Jason S
Quick question Christopher, :bounceI'm hoping to get into C-Band this year!!! How does your 1.2M dish work on C Band?? Also which sats are you on?? How's the Q? Thanks. Regards Toronto Canada:bounce

Quick question Christopher, :bounceI'm hoping to get into C-Band this year!!! How does your 1.2M dish work on C Band?? Also which sats are you on?? How's the Q? Thanks. Regards Toronto Canada:bounce

Hey Stbel! Living in Lexington Kentucky, my 1.2M dish has been doing a good half decent job with C-Band for almost 2 years; I really can't complain. :) I *CAN'T* get ALL of the C-Band channels available, but I do enjoy alot of the stronger C-Band signals I *CAN* get in relation to the satellite footprint in my area. :)

Because I have a 4 foot dish, C-Band isn't always available to me when the atmosphere and/or weather turns bad or cold. But on most sunny warm days, I'm enjoying a good handful or two C-Band channels that come in very well; even several Canadian channels! :-D I have trees to the east, and the half story roof of the house to the west, so I can pick up C-Band satellite signals between 40W and 113W. I usually leave my dish parked on 58W NHK World HD, which is my favorite and it normally comes in pretty strong around roughly 56-65% Signal Quality. My second favorite C-Band Satellite is 99W as that has the most FTA C-Band channels. 87W C-Band is my 3rd favorite. :)

I have tried various LNBF'S with my 1.2M Geosatpro dish, and the Manhattan 1997 receiver has been doing very well with the PLL LNBF'S especially; the DRO LNBF'S not so much. I started a new thread recently where I'm testing out a Norsat LNB with my 1.2M dish, it works great, until it gets cloudy and cold outside; the Signal Quality goes down quite a bit. I'm waiting for warmer weather when the Signal Quality improves enough for me to continue testing and posting results.

Being that you live so far north of me, your results in C-Band with a smaller than recommended dish might differ quite a bit than me. You may need to look into a larger dish for your area, I hope this helps! If your ever the curious, creative experimental type like me, you just have to try to see how you do with a motorized 1.2M Geosatpro dish. I'm using a Stab 120 motor too! Several members on here will tell you that the Geosatpro is a good decent quality dish to use for not too much money; with the exception of shipping. There are other 1.2M dishes like the Andrews brand as well as others, that are of better quality for more money. I almost went with a 1.2M Andrews dish, but I had no way to mount it with my existing mounting pole; it was also heavier too. :-D

Reactions: danristheman
If you want the best of C band go with a 10 foot dish. If you want to have something to play around or don't have the ability to have a 10 footer then mini budding is best. Chris what channels do you get on 107w or 111w?

If you want the best of C band go with a 10 foot dish. If you want to have something to play around or don't have the ability to have a 10 footer then mini budding is best. Chris what channels do you get on 107w or 111w?

Dan, I can't remember exactly right now, but on clear warm days and nights I usually get a few or several channels on both sats. For example, City TV, The Weather Network (barely), Saskatchewan Legislature, maybe a few Canadian hockey game feeds, (both strong), Northwest Territories Legislature, Navanut (whatever) Legislature, (both strong), CTV, Metro TV are the ones I recall off the top of my mind. There may be several other channels.
I haven't been able to get much of anything off these two sats all winter, especially The Weather Network. Hopefully everything will come back in as it gets warmer; if the Canadians don't change their signal footprint or scramble now that I gave everything away! Lol! :-/

You get the same results that I do with 107w and 111w. Whats your results on 103w? We have similar problems with the weather when it gets cold. When its cold its easier to receive multiple satellites at the same time. Then you lose some transponders did you lose pr vi mux?

You get the same results that I do with 107w and 111w. Whats your results on 103w? We have similar problems with the weather when it gets cold. When its cold its easier to receive multiple satellites at the same time. Then you lose some transponders did you lose pr vi mux?

I don't remember if I get anything at all on 103W C-Band, I will have to blind scan in that sat sometime later when the weather improves. I think I do get the PR VI Fox Channels on 99W. The KBRK Fox channels have been gone a long time, but it did come in briefly for a few seconds recently at 67% Signal Quality before disappearing again. I will have to keep tweaking around with the motor position and dish elevation later; my dish alignment is still 1 degree off.

Another channel I watch sometimes on 111W is called, The Canadian Tire Store Channel. It's 24/7 about different people wearing flannel clothing, going into the Canadian Tire Store to discuss tires, wheels, exhaust systems, snow, mud, snowmobiling, railroading, lumberjacking, hunting, back bacon, and anything else relevant to Canadian living! Pretty interesting! Lol! :-D

Can you make up a list go by each satellite when you have time so we can compare what we can recieve? Same results on KRBK haven't had them since last year. I 'll check out that channel when I get time Chris, the tire channel. I can only go from 87w c band to the west. Keep up the good work.

Can you make up a list go by each satellite when you have time so we can compare what we can recieve? Same results on KRBK haven't had them since last year. I 'll check out that channel when I get time Chris, the tire channel. I can only go from 87w c band to the west. Keep up the good work.

Ok, maybe I will make a list on my other thread for the Norsat LNB'S. The Canadian Tire Store Channel is tricky to get, the polarity for that channel is 'C', for Canadian Circle only! I had to glue some Loonie and Toonie Coins to the Dielectric Slab to make it work. :-D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)