has chuck jumped the shark?

drfreeman

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 17, 2004
come on,its just getting stupid now!
where was awesome on tonights episode?

I was disappointed in this weeks episode. It is obvious they are trying to save money by limiting the cast appearances. You just see a subset of cast members each episode.

This weeks episode sacrificed humor for seriousness. I hope they keep this to a minimum. Chuck does not need to turn into 24. Last night they gave an indication that Sarah and Casey may not be there much longer.

What I found best in Chuck was the sillyness of the Buy More store politics and antics, combinded with outlandish missions occurring in Burbank while Chuck has to maintain his position at the Buy More and still manage to do the spy stuff. It was funny. Now it looks like this is only going to happen every other episode or every third episode.

Read this article!

Here's an interesting article I found: (This could be considered a spoiler)
Chuck

I haven't seen the show yet! So I can't answer the question proposed.

I liked the episode myself. Especially the eye candy. :D

I watched the Show Saturday morning and LOVED IT!! (and the Eye Candy). I'm not sure where the show is going and it may be on the verge of "Jumping the shark". I don't want to see Sarah leave But I would like to see the Bryce replacement disapear. I think that the current cutey (Hannah) will turn out to be a spy for the ring and get sent off and Sarah's friend will leave also creating the awkward Chuck/Sarah relationship again.

the reason they may be on the verge of "Jumping the shark" is that chuck only flashed once in this episode and didn't get into a good fight. but boy can you feel the tension.

How much longer can he keep this from Hannah?
Can he get her in on some missions like awesome?

I guess we have to wait till after the Olympics to see!

I was thinking the same thing, she could be a spy for the ring. That's the thing about the show, it keeps you on edge and makes you wonder about things. Sarah leaving could be a tease for us making us think she will be gone just like when we thought Chuck's involvement was over. There is always a twist that causes them to be together in that group again and continue.

This is still my favorite show this season though last week's episode definitely lacked in humor, and as someone who worked in an art museum for 12 years, they completely misrepresented the inner workings of one. (I mean seriously, they made it look like the curator was the only employee. And for the record, a curator would not be touching a security system; either the head of security would be working on it or they'd call in the company that installed it if there was a problem.)

Yeah, and they wouldn't leave priceless vases out on pedestals in the middle of the floor.

This one strained credulity pretty bad. Still love the show.... Even if they showed oxygen being sucked out of a room by showing smoke going through a vent. Oxygen is now visible?

Remember Chuck is a comedy not based in reality...

Like all these international terrorists and bad guys come to Burbank on a regular basis...

Like there would really be 2 professionals and Chuck running the operation...

Like they would be able to build a secret underground base under the Buy More without anyone knowing...

The list is endless. In reality there was probably not enough money in the budget to have a chief of security. And if they had one why would they need to call the Nerd Herd? They had to show something being sucked out of the room...

Like all these international terrorists and bad guys come to Burbank on a regular basis...

Like they would be able to build a secret underground base under the Buy More without anyone knowing...

The list is endless. In reality there was probably not enough money in the budget to have a chief of security. And if they had one why would they need to call the Nerd Herd? They had to show something being sucked out of the room...

If you have ever worked for the Geek Squad at Best Buy you know it is pretty darn accurate to real life.

Good points. But I guess if I had first-hand knowledge of the inner workings of CIA/Military operations I would be cringing even more. And in all fairness, most TV/movie representations of museums strain believability. This was just particularly bad (especially on some of the points BobMurdoch pointed out about the vases), though I do take the show for what it is (the good with the bad).

I think our point is that we are willing to suspend a little disbelief, but it got SO out of whack that is was ludicrous like a Disney Kim Possible cartoon.

For example, go back to last years episode about the military satellite that could only be shut down by getting to the last screen of the Missile Command game (and which was programmed to only be beaten if you were listening to Rush's Tom Sawyer song to lead you). Not too realistic, but plausible enough that you could really enjoy the show without groaning. This year's eps have been pushing the believability envelope much farther than they have in previous years which is why people are griping.

Here's a copy of some questions that Michael Ausiello asked the producers. Could be spoiler-y so read at your own risk, but seems like Chuck just fell victim to bad timing as to when the Olympics started. The last episode before the games wasn't meant to be a leaving off point for 3 weeks. Also Christopher Lloyd is going to guest star!

Question: These Chuck ’shippers are driving me crazy with their negativity after “Chuck Versus the Mask.” Can you give them something positive in regards to Chuck/Sarah that will get them to retract their claws? Please help! —Jason
Ausiello: This mini Q&A I conducted with exec producers Josh Schwartz and Chris Fedak via e-mail shortly after Monday’s episode should do the trick…

Q: Did you anticipate that the episode would elicit this kind of reaction?
SCHWARTZ AND FEDAK: We knew it was going to cause a bit of angst in some viewers. We didn’t expect this level certainly, though we are appreciative that our fans are this invested in the characters. One thing we didn’t anticipate when we made this episode was that it would be the last episode before a three-week hiatus.

Q: Why did you decide to have both Chuck and Sarah embark on new romances (with Hannah and Shaw, respectively) in the same episode?
SCHWARTZ AND FEDAK: Because we are masochists. We kid, we kid. It happens sometimes in life. If you see one person moving on, it can spur you to move on as well. But we want to stress, Chuck and Sarah are not emotionally in the same place at the end of this episode.

Q: Which of the two relationships poses the bigger threat to Chuck and Sarah?
SCHWARTZ AND FEDAK: There are things far greater than a relationship that threaten Chuck and Sarah… Stay tuned.

Q: Can you offer any hope to Chuck/Sarah fans?
SCHWARTZ AND FEDAK: As we’ve said before, [Monday's episode] was Chapter 7 of 19 of this season. We love and appreciate our fans. We know our fans are why we’re back this season. But we need them to trust us to tell the most emotionally satisfying story possible. This has been mapped out from the start, and we always knew telling this portion of the story would be difficult for some. But we need people to come to back to the show March 1st — now more than ever — and we think if they do take this journey with us, they will see what we had planned the whole time. This is part of a bigger story than just “will they or won’t they.”
It’s worth pointing out that not everyone was disgusted by Monday’s turn of events…

Question: I absolutely love Kristin Kreuk as Hannah on Chuck. Any idea how many more episodes she will be in this season? —Jeremy
Ausiello: Just one. Schwartz and Fedak confirmed that Kreuk’s arc will conclude on March 1. Meanwhile, Brandon Routh’s stay has been extended yet again, although Team um… Schwedak (?) wouldn’t provide an updated episode count.

Question: Any chance the name of Christopher Lloyd’s shrink on Chuck is Doc Brown? Also, does his episode have a title? —Jeremy
Ausiello: His character’s name is not Doc Brown. And the episode is called “Chuck Versus the Tooth.”

and here's the link for reference sake:
Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on 'Lost,' 'Glee,' 'Grey's,' 'Chuck,' 'House,' and more! | Ausiello | EW.com

The thing I loved the most about this how was the humor factor. One of my best friends made the suggestion and I told him that I was watching too many shows already. After watching an episode of season 2, I fell in love with it. I DVR all season 2 and waited until I watched all the episodes that I missed.

I don't know but taking away "Chuck's Innocence from the show" and giving him the new ability to fight was great at first, but know I don't laugh as much as I did before.

Can wait for the next eposides....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)