Has Dish lost another teleco bundling partner?

bobvick

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Northwest Alabama
I was looking around today on CenturyLink's website, checking out my account, and I noticed that they now say that DirecTV is their bundle partner for parts of the country where they do not have their Prism advanced television service rolled out (which would be most of the country). The funny thing is on their page that advertises DirecTV by CenturyLink the receiver pictured is either a 311 or a 322. I have a bundle with them for Dish right now, I hope that they grandfather me in.

You probably are, but being a bundled customer is not ultimately a good deal. You might miss out of some special Promos, though they seem to be less these days.

centurytel here in alabama has switch ouer to directv bundles.switch to direc never look back.dish has serious problems.

Ugg I hate it that Dish Bundles with Centurytel around here.. And yes if you bundle you miss out on a big amount of promos. Their DSL is way to expensive for the speeds vs Comcast Cable internet for this area.

I turned off my home phone 2years ago - pay for cable internet with Dish TV and I'm saving well over $50/month.

This is on the DISH Network retailer portal...

Effective August 1, 2010, the CenturyLink Telco Partner Digital Home Advantage Promotional Program will no longer be available to new DISH Network customers. Retailers will no longer be able to offer eligible new DISH Network customers a bundle-billed option with CenturyLink in areas where CenturyLink offers service (see table below).

Existing customers who received a combined CenturyLink/DISH Network bill from CenturyLink prior to August 1st may continue to participate in bundled billing and receive any applicable bundled bill discount.

It goes on to say...
Other Companies that Participate in the Telco Partner Digital Home Advantage Promotional Program – Please note that Windstream, Frontier, and TDS Telecom will continue to participate in the Telco Partner Digital Home Advantage Promotional Program.

Wow, centurylink didn't miss a beat. Their homepage has directv for their new bundle partner.

I think they should get rid of the bundle accounts all together. I know it sounds like a great deal but it always makes for problems down the road.

Wow, centurylink didn't miss a beat. Their homepage has directv for their new bundle partner.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, CenturyLink goofed in the graphic. They show a DishNet receiver and remote in the ad for DirecTV service:
attachment.php

Attachments

• centurylink_oops.png
    centurylink_oops.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 738
I was suprised that CenturyLink did the switch this soon. CenturyTel had been a Dish partner since 2004 and Embarq was one too, before CenturyTel bought them out and changed to CenturyLink. I was wondering if they would keep Dish after they completed their acquisition of Qwest, since Qwest is larger than CenturyLink is and Qwest is a DirecTV partner. Appearanlty, they decided to go ahead and do it. I wonder if they will be calling all of the old CenturyTel and Embarq customers who are bundled and try to get them to switch?

I was suprised that CenturyLink did the switch this soon. CenturyTel had been a Dish partner since 2004 and Embarq was one too, before CenturyTel bought them out and changed to CenturyLink. I was wondering if they would keep Dish after they completed their acquisition of Qwest, since Qwest is larger than CenturyLink is and Qwest is a DirecTV partner. Appearanlty, they decided to go ahead and do it. I wonder if they will be calling all of the old CenturyTel and Embarq customers who are bundled and try to get them to switch?

I doubt their DishNet contract would allow that, but something similar happened in the opposite direction when AT&T (then, a DishNet partner) took over BellSouth (a DirecTV partner). You never know.

Last edited:
As mentioned earlier in the thread, CenturyLink goofed in the graphic. They show a DishNet receiver and remote in the ad for DirecTV service:
attachment.php

Another Wow, I didn't notice that earlier. :haha:haha:haha

DirecTV Says It Is New Satellite TV Partner For CenturyLink

CenturyLink Inc. chose DirecTV Group Inc as its satellite TV partner, displacing rival Dish Network Corp. The deal was effective Sunday, according to a DirecTV spokesman. Dish declined to comment, and CenturyLink wasn't immediately available for comment.

It's a victory for DirecTV, which has locked up agreements with all of the major landline companies. The company has shifted from solely pursuing customer growth to improving the quality of its subscriber base. Dish, which has seen its growth accelerate in the last few quarters, continues to tap into lower end customers through aggressive promotions.

CenturyLink, which is working on closing its acquisition of Qwest Communications International Inc. , was heading for a potential conflict if the change wasn't made. Qwest has been an ardent partner of DirecTV, and the companies have worked together to create a more integrated service. The transition is smoother with CenturyLink also switching to DirecTV from Dish.

Does this leave any telco partners for DishNet?

Last edited:
As state by Scott in thread #6 ...

Other Companies that Participate in the Telco Partner Digital Home Advantage Promotional Program – Please note that Windstream, Frontier, and TDS Telecom will continue to participate in the Telco Partner Digital Home Advantage Promotional Program.

Will that also include the new Frontier areas that until July 1st were Verizon areas? Or will Frontier keep DishNet in their original areas, and keep DirecTV in their new areas? I predict another change in the near future, just don't know which way they'll go.

Maybe Dish has come to decide that this is not a business they want to be in. Dealing with customers that are upset that they aren't eligible for some promo because they're a telco customer, not a Dish customer. And splitting profits. Who knows? Might just not be a priority with Dish anymore.

Dealing with customers that are upset that they aren't eligible for some promo because they're a telco customer, not a Dish customer.

If DishNet is excluding telco-bundled customers from promos that their non-bundled customers are eligible for, they have no one to blame but themselves. An easy fix: let all of your customers, bundled or not, be eligible for the promos.

If DishNet is excluding telco-bundled customers from promos that their non-bundled customers are eligible for, they have no one to blame but themselves. An easy fix: let all of your customers, bundled or not, be eligible for the promos.

Also, treat them like regular Dish Network customers (they are not second class customers) or just don't do business with telecomm companies. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts