Has this been one of the great sports years of all time??

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
Now let me explain this. Between a very good Super Bowl game, the last day of the MLB reg. season plus the World Series (especially game 6) and now seeing these 2 or 3 great college games tonight, has this been the greatest sports years ever? I mean maybe you get a good Super Bowl game but what happened during the last day of the MLB Reg. Season plus game 6 just doesnt happen every day. The 2 or 3 college games that you saw tonight, I mean what are the odds of that happening within mere minutes of each other.

Do you guys think Im totally wrong? If so, can you name a better sports year?

Jimbo, are you saying hardly because you cant name a better sports year or because 2011 wasnt the greatest sports year?

I can think of one year where the SB & WS were much better

Giants/Bills (Wide Right)
Twins/Braves (game 6 & 7)

No. Not in my lifetime, and not for me. Just scratching the surface, the year the USA beat russia, then went on to win the Gold medal in the Olympics. Or the year both the MEN and WOMEN won the national championship in basketball at Uconn. Never done before or since. Or most any of the years of the Celtic/Laker battles. Game six this year of World Series was great, the Hockey tournament was very good this year, but overall not the best of all time, no. There are even better single great games of World Series. Game 6 Red Sox/Reds, with possibly the all time greatest shot of a game, the Red Sox catcher Fisk "pushing" the ball fair in extra innings to make it a home run and tie the series. Or the Gibson home run for the Dodgers....

Last edited:
In baseball, one of the best sports years was 1986. Both league championship series were dramatic and the World Series was even more so

No. Not in my lifetime, and not for me. Just scratching the surface, the year the USA beat russia, then went on to win the Gold medal in the Olympics. Or the year both the MEN and WOMEN won the national championship in basketball at Uconn. Never done before or since. Or most any of the years of the Celtic/Laker battles. Game six this year of World Series was great, the Hockey tournament was very good this year, but overall not the best of all time, no. There are even better single great games of World Series. Game 6 Red Sox/Reds, with possibly the all time greatest shot of a game, the Red Sox catcher Fisk "pushing" the ball fair in extra innings to make it a home run and tie the series. Or the Gibson home run for the Dodgers....
That was a good game, but I believe it was way overrated. In fact, Fisk HR wasn't even the most dramatic play of the game. The game was tied and in extra innings. The biggest HR of the game was the one hit by Carbo in 8th. Plus, it had no impact on the WS. The Reds still won game 7. It would have been more dramatic if it changed the outcome, such as Pucket's HR in the 1991 WS, Henderson's HR in the 1986 ALCS, and the Mets rally in 1986 WS. Those are much bigger events because they not only changed the game, not only came back from behind to steal a win, but changed the outcome of the series

I think any "Greatest Year" needs to include a so-called "Fight of the Century" or a horse racing Triple Crown winner, along with an upset in a professional team sports championship, like the 1960 Pirates beating the Yankees or the Jets beating the Colts in the Superbowl. Having an individual sports athlete have an exceptional year or performance, like someone winning the Grand Slam in Tennis, or Tiger Woods blowing away the golfing field for an entire season, or Roger Bannister running the first Four Minute mile, or Bob Beamon outjumping everyone by a yard would contribute heavily to any all "Greatest Year" tally.

Last edited:
You can't even consider it when two major sports both had lockouts that affect their entire seasons....

Two sports that effected their "entire" seasons? I personally don't think the NFL lockout had much an effect.

Let' see...

Yankees - out in the ALDS
Jets - AFC championship game in January but general suckage this year
Rangers - out in round 1
Knicks - not even playing
Ohio State - who's that?
St John's - made it to the Dance but Gonzaga made it rain threes

So the only real positive is the Knicks!!!

Sandra

With basically no "offseason" it has affected the entire season.

Very little impact in my opinion.

I think the lockout had a lot to do with the high rash of injuries in the NFL,especially with the QB's.

Players not being prepared caused that. If they were working out on their own then this would not be an issue. All players should have been working out on their own to protect themselves when training camp started. This goes for every year and not just due to the lockout.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)