Have Dish Pro Quad LNB & 2 625 DVRs. How to install with 2 wires insead of 4??

StevenMark

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
I have a Dish Pro quad LNBF feeding two 625 dual receiver DVRs and the setup has served me well for about 7 years. There are 4 RG6 cables running from the quad LNBF to the 2 DVRs (2 to each).

I need to upgrade the cables running to one of the DVRs – the stuff in place now is 20 years old ribbon cable in underground conduit (leaky) and probably isn't rated as flooded. My reception is getting dicey – I’m probably lucky it works at all. This seems like a good time to convert from dual wire to single wire flooded to the DVRs. I’m confused on how to do this.

The DVR end is pretty straightforward: run the cable from the LNBF into a separator and attach the separator to the 2 receiver inputs of the DVR. Easy Peasy. It’s the LNBF end I’m confused about. How do I make that connection? Do I need to upgrade to a Dish Pro Plus quad LNBF; if so, then what? Or can/should I use my existing LNBF with a switch or some other device to combine the 2 wires into 1?

I have a Dish Pro quad LNBF feeding two 625 dual receiver DVRs and the setup has served me well for about 7 years. There are 4 RG6 cables running from the quad LNBF to the 2 DVRs (2 to each).

I need to upgrade the cables running to one of the DVRs – the stuff in place now is 20 years old ribbon cable in underground conduit (leaky) and probably isn't rated as flooded. My reception is getting dicey – I’m probably lucky it works at all. This seems like a good time to convert from dual wire to single wire flooded to the DVRs. I’m confused on how to do this.

The DVR end is pretty straightforward: run the cable from the LNBF into a separator and attach the separator to the 2 receiver inputs of the DVR. Easy Peasy. It’s the LNBF end I’m confused about. How do I make that connection? Do I need to upgrade to a Dish Pro Plus quad LNBF; if so, then what? Or can/should I use my existing LNBF with a switch or some other device to combine the 2 wires into 1?
The upgrade is a DPP TWIN they never made a DPP Quad.

If I were you, I would future-proof myself and run 3 flooded coaxes to your dish location. That way, when you upgrade to HD, you'll still be smiling regardless of the number of HD receivers you get.

If I were you, I would future-proof myself and run 3 flooded coaxes to your dish location. That way, when you upgrade to HD, you'll still be smiling regardless of the number of HD receivers you get.

Roger that on future proofing - it's easy to add another cable or two when doing a pull. I already have 4 coaxes running to my dish: 2 of them in 150' of underground conduit to building "B" and 2 directly into building "A" where the dish is attached. Would HD require more cables than that?

Roger that on future proofing - it's easy to add another cable or two when doing a pull. I already have 4 coaxes running to my dish: 2 of them in 150' of underground conduit to building "B" and 2 directly into building "A" where the dish is attached. Would HD require more cables than that?

Your conduit configuration has me confused. :confused: Obviously you don't need any underground cables at all for receivers in building A where the dish is. If receivers are in building B, then you would only need cables sufficient to go to all your receivers therein.

Your conduit configuration has me confused. :confused: Obviously you don't need any underground cables at all for receivers in building A where the dish is. If receivers are in building B, then you would only need cables sufficient to go to all your receivers therein.

Sorry for being unclear. Correct: no underground cables for receivers in building A, just 2 above ground cables to a 625 dual receiver. It's fairly new quad shield stuff.

Building B is the long underground run, also with 2 cables to another 625 dual receiver. I'm certain (famous last words) we'll never need more than 2 receivers in each building. Sounds like my best bet is to replace the 2 underground cables with good quality flooded and not worry about trying to go to "one wire" for the dual receiver. Coax isn't all that expensive and trying to go "one wire" may be more trouble than it's worth at this point.

Problem Solved!

Looks like the DPP Twin is exactly what I need! For some reason I was thinking "Twin" meant it could only handle 2 tuners.:coffee

As I now understand it, each of the 2 output ports of the DPP twin can be connected to either a single tuner receiver or a dual tuner receiver with separator.

Attachments

• dpp final.jpg
    dpp final.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 14,851
The upgrade is a DPP TWIN they never made a DPP Quad.

sure they did. Its used mainly for Bell setups as there are only 2 sats but Bell does use a DPP Quad. Been out for 2 1/2 years

Effective October 23, 2011, Bell Satellite TV will be deploying Dish Pro Plus (DPP) Quad LNBF and DPP 44 switch technology. Going forward DPP will be used for all Installation orders including moves and additional receiver installation etc.

For up to 1 or 2 receivers installations, continue to install using the DPP Twin LNBF

For up to 3 or 4 receivers installations use DPP Quad LNBF

and even a thread here at satelliteguys
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/268516-DPP-Quad-amp-DPP44-coming-to-Bell-TV-October-23rd

so because you were proven wrong you decide to be a dink eh boba?

you clearly posted
they never made a DPP Quad
which was proven wrong. There is such a thing as a DPP Quad and I posted the link to it. And gee a simple google search says " Dish Network Dish Pro Plus Quad LNBF"
http://www.canadasatellite.ca/Dish-Network-Dish-Pro-Plus-Quad-LNBF-p/dish-pro-plus-quad-lnb.htm

The equipment is the exact same as dish equipment except for the model number and software. No you cannot use a Dish receiver on a Bell account and vise versa but the switches and LNB's will work just fine on either setup. There are plenty of folks who took a DPP Twin when it first came out and put it on a Bell setup as Bell was still sending out 2 dual LNB's and a SW44 for installs and it worked just fine.

While it probably isnt used much here in the US if you have SD setups it would work for that. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)