Have Gun, Will Travel: How far can a video-game champ go?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Entire Article

Second, and perhaps surprising, Leto's not a nerd. He's an athlete. He lettered in swimming at Allen High and still holds the build: His shoulders stretch wide the white T-shirt he wears tonight, and his quads and calves fill out his sweat pants. He's handsome enough, about 5-foot-8, with the olive complexion of an Italian heritage. He sweeps his dark hair straight back, and a day's growth of stubble is forever on his chin. He's personable, too--once you yank the controller away. "He's very laid-back," says Kim Murphy, an associate producer at Worldsport HD, a satellite channel that followed Leto around for a documentary it will air next month.

Leto's family came. Steve and Rhonda, younger sister Megan and brother Taylor. It was the first time any Leto would watch Matt in person. He'd breezed through the qualifying rounds in Miami and Long Beach, California. He was the favorite to win WCG again. Wherever he went in San Fran, a camera crew from Worldsport HD followed, shooting footage for a documentary on the Games.

But it'll be on WorldSport? What's next -- poker on ESPN?!? ;) :p
Seriously though -- I understand poker on ESPN (the "E" being for "Entertainment"), but video games on WorldSport? If it's a documentary, maybe they should put it on FilmFest or something. Just my opinion. I don't see that it fits on WorldSportHD. Doesn't really bother me -- hell, if it's a doc I'll probably watch it regardless of which channel they put it on.

TheTimm said:
Seriously though -- I understand poker on ESPN (the "E" being for "Entertainment")
This is not really on topic for Voom, but that's sort of correct. I thought the "E" was for Entertainment too until I read their FAQ awhile back...

WHAT DOES ESPN STAND FOR?

It doesn't stand for anything, but the story is this...When ESPN started in 1979 we were the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network (thus, ESPN). However, the full name was dropped in February 1985 when the company adopted a new corporate name --ESPN, Inc.--and a new logo. We are a subsidiary of ABC, Inc., which is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Co. The Hearst Corporation has a 20 percent interest in ESPN.

As far as I'm concerned it still stands for "Entertainment", even if they officially changed their name to the initials -- it's where the initials came from, they didn't just pick "E" "S" "P" & "N" at random because they look nice together. Kinda like New Kids on the Block changing to NKOTB -- they weren't fooling anyone either. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)