Have question re: PocketDish AV700E

bwthomas831

Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
I have a PocketDish AV700E and a 722 receiver. I have HI Def recorded content on the DVR of the 722.
When I try to xfer it to the PocketDish I get a message saying I cannot xfer Hi Def programs

Has anybody else seen this and have a way to overcome it? Is there a patch or plug-in or update available that would allow this xfer of Hi Def content.

I understand it is possible to xfer the Hi Def content but it would only be viewed in Standard format...which would be fine.

Help!

So I just heard back from Dish Support and he said the PocketDish built in File Size limits of 2GB restricts being able to download HD content with would be close to 5 GB for 30 min show.
He sent me to Archos web site for firmware update but did not know if this would address the file limitation issue.
I will give it a try and report back

It would be pointless to download an HD program to a PocketDish, because the chipset does not support HD playback. This is even true for Gen 4 and Gen 5 portable media players. You have to buy a newly-released "Internet Media Tablet" to get HD playback.

Yep, gen 7 only. Only there's no assurance that the new Archos gen players will play nice with Dish. If I ever get a few answers on that, they might sell me one.

Last edited:
But can I at least xfer Hi Def content?

Thanks for the replys. I am OK if I cannot view the xfered Hi Def content in Hi Def on the PocketDish....I just want to be able to view it in some format.

Can I at least xfer Hi Def content and watch it in analog or some non Hi Def format? So far my 722 receiver blocks even the xfer of Hi Def content to the AV700e. :mad:

I use my original PocketDish everyday.

You cannot transfer HD content to an old PocketDish and I am not aware of patches or fixes (especially since two more generations have been released since and "PocketDish" is hella old technology compared to a Gen 7).

You do have 2 annoying options.

1) Using your docking stations, play your HD DVR and re-record it into your PocketDish in live time.

2) Double record your favorite shows, one in HD and one in SD (I'll be recording Surviver in HD, but I will have an SD version for watching at the gym. I've done the same with Most Haunted".

Double recording is a pain in the butt, but works OK.

Gen 7 is the only hig def PMP, but it is only 720. I do not yet know if it actually transfers HD from Dish, but I'm sure the patch for SD works fine. With a 320G hard drive, HD space should no longer be an issue.

I'll be upgrading to a gen 7 in a few months. I'll post a review when I do. I love Archos! When the 722s(ling) comes out, a Gen 7 will be sweet!

So I just heard back from Dish Support and he said the PocketDish built in File Size limits of 2GB restricts being able to download HD content with would be close to 5 GB for 30 min show.
He sent me to Archos web site for firmware update but did not know if this would address the file limitation issue.
I will give it a try and report back
Not that it helps any but Dish Support lied to you. To test this record 5 minutes of an HD show manually and try and put it on your Pocket Dish. Way less than 2 gigs so it should at least transfer though not play according to what they said, right?

It is obvious that there is simply a line of code in the 6 and 722s that forbids HD format files from being copied to any external device except after being encrypted when you can send it the External Hard Drive.

HD plays back just fine from my AV700E, but I have to download shows by bittorrent and then move them over to the PD by USB transfer. I use it very little for Dish since I dvr only HD shows. I use it for a portable player for bittorrent videos.

I use my original PocketDish everyday.

You cannot transfer HD content to an old PocketDish and I am not aware of patches or fixes (especially since two more generations have been released since and "PocketDish" is hella old technology compared to a Gen 7).

You do have 2 annoying options.

1) Using your docking stations, play your HD DVR and re-record it into your PocketDish in live time.

2) Double record your favorite shows, one in HD and one in SD (I'll be recording Surviver in HD, but I will have an SD version for watching at the gym. I've done the same with Most Haunted".

Double recording is a pain in the butt, but works OK.

Gen 7 is the only hig def PMP, but it is only 720. I do not yet know if it actually transfers HD from Dish, but I'm sure the patch for SD works fine. With a 320G hard drive, HD space should no longer be an issue.

I'll be upgrading to a gen 7 in a few months. I'll post a review when I do. I love Archos! When the 722s(ling) comes out, a Gen 7 will be sweet!

I use my PocketDish a lot. I actually do it by show. There are some things I like to watch while traveling and simply have those recorded in SD. Sometimes, I will watch them at home, but they are mostly news type shows that I don't care if they are in HD

It is obvious that there is simply a line of code in the 6 and 722s that forbids HD format files from being copied to any external device except after being encrypted when you can send it the External Hard Drive.

I don't think that is a secret. I remember when I bough my PD, reading somewhere on Dish's PD website, that HD content was copy protected and would not transfer for PD use period. I believe it was the networks who wanted that. Networks also insisted on "one-copy", that was when the DVR would delete your show after tranfering it to the PD. Dish does not use this one-copy any more for some reason so maybe the HD transfer protections have also opened up.

The Dish CSRs would never know anything about PD or Archos stuff, maybe a tech guy who owns one. The rest of the CSRs will just make something up.

I don't know about Gen 5 or Gen 7 though. I'm waiting for someone to buy a Gen 7 and post a review. I'm not sure if the first Gen 7s have even been shipped yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)