Have Sat TV - Who provides your internet service.

JimWH

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
Tampa Fl.
I have DISH for TV. For my internet I used the local cable company's 'basic service'. This was their cheapest option. In addition to the internet it provides local and some non-scrambled cable without needing a box. The price of this has been going up. Any suggestions besides dropping DISH and going full cable?

If your internet is fast enough, you might try one of the streaming alternatives like PS Vue, SlingTV, or DirectvNow.

I have Dish Network AT200 and use Suddenlink 50gps service for internet and land line phone that also includes some SD digital channels which is my fall back if Dish gets too expensive.

I have the DISH Top 200 package price locked for 3 years. For internet, I have Spectrum Cable 60/5 Mbps plan + unlimited phone. Cost for all of this together is about $170. I think this is a pretty good deal for all I get.

Same here. Comcast for internet, got a year-long bundle promo of 25mb + limited basic + free HBO for $45. Of course after adding the locals surcharge and taxes, it comes to $55. I don't even have the TV cable box hooked up and I own the cable modem, so no extra fees. I use HBOGO with the Comcast credentials.

$55 for internet, $48 for Dish Flex package.

One of the new streaming services is option if you don't have a small data cap.
I made the switch from Dish to a Cox bundle 9 or 10 months ago. Once I had a tivo and Cox got serious with bundle discounts, I couldn't justify the costs of separate services anymore. If Dish would have made all the offers they did when I cancelled, I might of stayed, but it was too late at that point. I'm at the equivalent of AT120 and 150/10 internet for $110 with Tivo and cablecard. It'll go to $140 after the 2nd year, but still be cheaper than what I was paying for separate services.

I'm in the boonies of Western NC so my only option for internet, other than dial-up, is satellite. I have Exede satellite internet with speeds of around 12Mbps. Of course with its limitations streaming is limited for me to the late night hours after midnight. $130/month for Dish and Exede combined.

Have you looked into satellite internet? The technology with Exede and Hughes has gotten much better the last 5 years or so. Lower latency and faster speeds.

Hi fmj77. I thought I recognized that avatar from the WIldblueworld forum. Welcome to Satelliteguys! :)

Have you looked into satellite internet? The technology with Exede and Hughes has gotten much better the last 5 years or so. Lower latency and faster speeds.

Except for when it's not. I have HughesNet as a secondary ISP and in the evening (like now 7p EST), it's next to useless. During the day I can get 30Mb down and the ping is 300-400 ms less. When I'm playing around in the evening with various things, if I'm on satellite and one of my VMs starts to update, my internet access comes to a grinding halt.

To the OP, if you live in the Tampa area, that means you’re Spectrum former BHN. Under the new Spectrum Pricing, your base package would be either 60Mb or 100Mb for $60/month. You may be able to get a discounted rate for a year, Not sure if that’s more or less than you’re paying currently, but if it’s less, and you are a legacy Brighthouse plan, you may want to consider the new Spectrum Plans

dish for a while have froniter here in our area i am doing 24 down and 1 up mediacom has fiber waiting for froniter to lay fiber here in our area for faster internet it is real slow when you try to upload videos up to youtube all the time.

I have comcast triple play.

i use lifetime tivo boxes with a cable card.

the tivo is rock solid, something i could never say about dish..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)