Have we reached the age of DOWNconverted channels?

M Sparks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Anybody notice that Planet Green appears to be a DOWNconverted HD channel? All the programs and promos are 16:9, as are some commercials.

Also, normally, if an SD channel is going to show letterboxed programming, the logo bug is still down in the corner, at least partially in the black bar. On Planet Green, the logo is up IN the 16:9 picture. (Though probably not up far enough into the 16:9 title safe area, so I might be reading too much into that.)

So let me get this straight...DISH is now sending us 4:3 SD channels upconverted to HD, AND 16:9 HD channels downconverted to SD.

:hatsoff:

Wow...nothing. I guess if you can spell and construct sentences, you can't get a topic started around here. Maybe I should have titled it "Voom suks and/or rulez"

He's saying that the channel apears to be produced in all letterbox which would lead you to believe there is an HD version that is down-converted for the SD channel.

It is frustrating to have black bars on every side of the TV, but when that's the case I usually hit zoom.

Anybody notice that Planet Green appears to be a DOWNconverted HD channel? All the programs and promos are 16:9, as are some commercials.

Also, normally, if an SD channel is going to show letterboxed programming, the logo bug is still down in the corner, at least partially in the black bar. On Planet Green, the logo is up IN the 16:9 picture. (Though probably not up far enough into the 16:9 title safe area, so I might be reading too much into that.)

So let me get this straight...DISH is now sending us 4:3 SD channels upconverted to HD, AND 16:9 HD channels downconverted to SD.

:hatsoff:

Sorry M, I've been on a business trip.
I think we are getting close to "Critical Mass" for HD programming. The costs for HD equipment is approaching reasonable for the stations, and being almost 10 years into DTV, stations are now into their 2nd generation of hardware.
Once D* upped the ante on carriage, every channel wants to have their 30 minutes of new HD content broadcast with 23.5 hours of upconverted content the rest of their time. From this point forward, though, new programming will be HD. All the programming that exists in digital format (but SD) will stick around. Perhaps Mark Cuban will take some time off during the offseason and work on an economical film to HD re-mastering business.
Miner

From this point forward, though, new programming will be HD...

One would hope, but unfortunately that will not be true. There are several shows with new 2008-2009 seasons coming this fall that will still be filmed in 4:3 SD.

Studios are in no hurry to spend extra money when they already have profits flowing in from reruns and paid-for equipment.

One would hope, but unfortunately that will not be true. There are several shows with new 2008-2009 seasons coming this fall that will still be filmed in 4:3 SD.

Studios are in no hurry to spend extra money when they already have profits flowing in from reruns and paid-for equipment.

How about many if not most? I'm fairly sure all the prime time shows are filmed in HD. I can't speak to any reality shows, but what network TV I do watch is all in HD.
Miner

He's saying that the channel apears to be produced in all letterbox which would lead you to believe there is an HD version that is down-converted for the SD channel.

It is frustrating to have black bars on every side of the TV, but when that's the case I usually hit zoom.

Hey, I love black bars in HD. Shows off my HDTV's ability to produce the darkest blacks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)