Have You Gotten Your External Drive Yet For The 622/722?

Have you gotten your Ext Drive for the 622/722 yet and is your dvr full waiting?

• Yes I have a Drive but still have room on Dvr

Votes: 82 39.4%
  • Yes I have a Drive and Dvr is full

Votes: 37 17.8%
  • No not interested and not getting a External Drive

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • No, but getting drive soon as Dvr is Full

Votes: 37 17.8%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 27 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Be aware !

We got first casualty :(.

After attempt connect Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160 GB ST3160023AS in EvenTech 3.5" SATA HDD Enclosure to 622 with L4.41 version, we got an error after a couple minutes of formatting about disconnected multimedia device. All other attempts to start again the process failed. 622 never finished the process and didn't reboot as warned at beginning.
The disk was tested on PC a couple hours ago before use in 622 and found no errors.
Now XP reported it as USB disk, no size, no partitions. Worst thing, when turn power switch on the enclosure the disk not spinning up, only once it made short spinning sound but that lasts half second.

Last edited:
We got first casualty :(.

After attempt connect Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160 GB ST3160023AS in EvenTech 3.5" SATA HDD Enclosure to 622 with L4.41 version, we got an error after a couple minutes of formatting about disconnected multimedia device. All other attempts to start again the process failed. 622 never finished the process and didn't reboot as warned at beginning.
The disk was tested on PC a couple hours ago and found no errors.
Now XP reported it as USB disk, no size, no partitions. Worst thing, when turn power switch on the enclosure the disk not spinning up, only once it made short spinning sound but that lasts half second.
So, the hard drive craps out, and you're blaming Dish's firmware? No, sir, your Seagate suffered an infant failure. It should have a 5-year warranty. Seagate will replace it with a good drive and you can try again.

I wish they would have allowed eithernet drives so I could put it in the other room.

However I plan on getting a 750 gig drive!

well with ethernet now enabled that may be coming, i thought i remember them showing that at the tech summit, but maybe not

I gave a no, other - I am like scott, I dont really need the extra storage as i dont tend to keep things, however the ability to archive does interest me for some rave programs, plus if i need to return or upgrade would make this an option worth looking into.

So, the hard drive craps out, and you're blaming Dish's firmware? No, sir, your Seagate suffered an infant failure. It should have a 5-year warranty. Seagate will replace it with a good drive and you can try again.

Cool down a bit. I didn't blame anything, just posted straight facts ! That's YOUR conclusion.

Did more checks today; used other three SATA disks (same model ST 160 GB, WD 320 GB and Maxtor 250 GB) in the enclosure, all of then working fine, all spin up and WinXP allowed read them.
Some glitches could happen in the enclosure's USB-SATA chip, between 622 and the disk. Since Dish use unpublished method of protection ( could be special SATA commands ) then IMO some USB-SATA chips could not support or properly translate them; could be a sequence of commands and some of them not passed correctly to the disk, so it could bring a disk to amok.
I could count a few other possible reasons, but it would be interesting to developers, not customers.

Sorry, Smith, I read into your post that plugging your drive into your 622 is what killed your drive. The sounds you said it is making sounds like a lot of the HDDs I've seen that died: power it up, click-click-click.

If you take the Seagate drive and put it in a SATA-equipped PC, does the BIOS see it? You might be able to download diagnostic software from Seagate to troubleshoot this issue and maybe reset the drive if there was some bad command sent to the drive.

Last edited:
Did try to use on board SATA (VIA) and Promise TX4 card - nothing; when used Promise ctrl the PC didn't boot at all, can't pass the Promise BIOS.
But didn't hear click-click (unparking heads) sound, BTW.

Did try to use on board SATA (VIA) and Promise TX4 card - nothing; when used Promise ctrl the PC didn't boot at all, can't pass the Promise BIOS.
But didn't hear click-click (unparking heads) sound, BTW.
Sounds very dead, especially if it prevents the BIOS POST from completing.

Have you tried one of your other SATA drives in this enclosure with the 622 yet? I can understand you might be a little concerned of a repeat performance.

I got mine all connected now that I got a 2.0 USB hub today so I can power the laptop cooler and feed the data to the HD/DVR
Now to get it activated next week

Sounds very dead, especially if it prevents the BIOS POST from completing.

Have you tried one of your other SATA drives in this enclosure with the 622 yet? I can understand you might be a little concerned of a repeat performance.

I'm prepare for that with two other SATA disks, just need find time when the box not in use.

Cool down a bit. I didn't blame anything, just posted straight facts ! That's YOUR conclusion.

Did more checks today; used other three SATA disks (same model ST 160 GB, WD 320 GB and Maxtor 250 GB) in the enclosure, all of then working fine, all spin up and WinXP allowed read them.
Some glitches could happen in the enclosure's USB-SATA chip, between 622 and the disk. Since Dish use unpublished method of protection ( could be special SATA commands ) then IMO some USB-SATA chips could not support or properly translate them; could be a sequence of commands and some of them not passed correctly to the disk, so it could bring a disk to amok.
I could count a few other possible reasons, but it would be interesting to developers, not customers.

The interface is USB 2.0 between your drive enclosure and the 622. The 622 isn't sending SATA commands to your drive. Your drive may have simply died. It happens. To be sure, take it out of your enclosure and hook it directly to a PC using an internal SATA connection. Might still be able to see it that way and repartition/format it that way to bring it back to life. If not, send it back and get a new one. There's no "unpublished" method of protection in the form of SATA commands. That's complete B.S. Dish uses a LINUX partitioning scheme and simply encrypts the files to lock them to your 622.

Oh boy ! Sorry, but you are in the BS. :(
Start reading technical manuals written for developers.
You have no clue about SATA protocol, file system of 622 disks, encryption, etc.

Keep learning. For start try to connect SATA/power cables from your PC to the disk in 622 and tell us what file system you'll see, how many partitions, what size of the partitions, and type ?
If you don't have any knowledge about the disks, at least give a links to borrowed info. :(

Another advise - read posts before pollute obvious; I did answer to Foxbat, #27. Should I say - Hold your temper !

Last edited:
Oh boy ! Sorry, but you are in the BS. :(
Start reading technical manuals written for developers.
You have no clue about SATA protocol, file system of 622 disks, encryption, etc.

Keep learning. For start try to connect SATA/power cables from your PC to the disk in 622 and tell us what file system you'll see, how many partitions, what size of the partitions, and type ?
If you don't have any knowledge about the disks, at least give a links to borrowed info. :(

Another advise - read posts before pollute obvious; I did answer to Foxbat, #27. Should I say - Hold your temper !

You sir, no nothing about me. Please stop making assumptions about my background or level of technical knowledge.

It's obvious from your spelling and grammar that English isn't your first language, so I'm guessing that you simply are misinterpreting what I've written and have also incorrectly inferred from it my emotional state.

I am not mad at you, I was simply stating the fact that the 622 is not sending SATA commands to your external drive over the USB 2.0 interface.

The 622 DOES in fact use LINUX partitioning on its INTERNAL hard drive. The first two partitions are EXT3 and hold the OS and the catalog of what's recorded. The third partition,while it looks like a EXT3 partition, is actually proprietary in format and holds the recorded program streams. But this is pretty much irrelevant to this discussion.

What is being discussed in this thread is the use of EXTERNAL drives within a separate drive enclosure that's interfaced to the 622 via one of it's USB 2.0 ports. Such external drives can be either PATA or SATA based - but that choice is between the external drive's controller and the physical hard drive itself. What's presented to and used by the 622 is a USB 2.0 connection, not SATA. If you are suggesting that a PATA drive (IDE) in an external hard drive enclosure hooked to a 622's USB 2.0 port is receiving "SATA" commands from the 622, then perhaps it is you who needs to "keep learning" and go read some technical manuals. :)

Your drive may have simply died. It happens. To be sure, take it out of your enclosure and hook it directly to a PC using an internal SATA connection.
This is my gripe/warning about the "name brand" external enclosures. It's nearly impossible to remove the drive without breaking the case. But the good news is, plastic breaks easily.:rolleyes:

Connected and successfully formatted a WD 500 GB My Book and have a Wireless-G game adapter on the way. Bring on the 15th!

You sir, no nothing about me. Please stop making assumptions about my background or level of technical knowledge.

It's obvious from your spelling and grammar that English isn't your first language, so I'm guessing that you simply are misinterpreting what I've written and have also incorrectly inferred from it my emotional state.

I am not mad at you, I was simply stating the fact that the 622 is not sending SATA commands to your external drive over the USB 2.0 interface.

The 622 DOES in fact use LINUX partitioning on its INTERNAL hard drive. The first two partitions are EXT3 and hold the OS and the catalog of what's recorded. The third partition,while it looks like a EXT3 partition, is actually proprietary in format and holds the recorded program streams. But this is pretty much irrelevant to this discussion.

What is being discussed in this thread is the use of EXTERNAL drives within a separate drive enclosure that's interfaced to the 622 via one of it's USB 2.0 ports. Such external drives can be either PATA or SATA based - but that choice is between the external drive's controller and the physical hard drive itself. What's presented to and used by the 622 is a USB 2.0 connection, not SATA. If you are suggesting that a PATA drive (IDE) in an external hard drive enclosure hooked to a 622's USB 2.0 port is receiving "SATA" commands from the 622, then perhaps it is you who needs to "keep learning" and go read some technical manuals. :)
Whatever. You substitute knowledge in programming by your personal common sense what is wrong.
When you will write at least one program what is working with hard drives using IDE interface ( SATA interface support it) and read ATA/ATAPI-7 standard for example, you'll find USB interface allow to work with many classes of different devices - mouse, keyboard, camera, disks, etc and each one have own specific set of commands.

Don't rush to show your perfect English in attempt to mask lack of your knowledge in programming.
I know also your knowledge about 622 file system is second hand reposting from other ppl from past.

Since we seem to be having other discussion in the poll thread, do you guys have any thoughts on how multiple drives connected to a USB hub off of the 622 would react?

Confused? - happens alot :)

From what I'm reading the 622 either offers or formats the drive when it is detected?
I plugged in the WDG1U5000N that I bought yesterday. The only thing that came up was a question- "do you want to manage" (something like that). Went to the remaining screens and it says to call dish to activate.
When did the format screen come up? Is there a menu item to format it?
The 622 knows it's there but nothing about formatting.
Thanks, gerry

From what I'm reading the 622 either offers or formats the drive when it is detected?
I plugged in the WDG1U5000N that I bought yesterday. The only thing that came up was a question- "do you want to manage" (something like that). Went to the remaining screens and it says to call dish to activate.
When did the format screen come up? Is there a menu item to format it?
The 622 knows it's there but nothing about formatting.
Thanks, gerry

I would like to know that also.
nazz said his WD drive formatted.
ggw2000's WD did not formatt.
My WD drive did not. What's up with that:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)