Have you heard of this 622 HDMI problem?

Mileskat

Original poster
May 8, 2006
I had my problem-free 522 swapped out a few days ago for a 622 and replaced the Super Dish with a Dish 1000. I don't know if my 622 is buggy or not.

Software version: 356
Mode bug occurred in: Dual
Dish Setup: Dish 1000 for 110/119/129

If I connect my 622 via HDMI to LCD tv, Samsung LN-S3251D (HDMI1 in), there is No audio or video.
If I connect my 622 via HDMI to my Denon AVR 2807 (HDMI2 in) and from Denon HDMI out to Samsung LN-S3251D (HDMI1 in), there is video but no audio. I can connect Optical cable from Denon to the Samsung and get the digital audio.

This seems pretty odd to me - why no working direct connection from the 622 to tv, but going from 622 to Denon to tv works (well, no audio over HDMI). Can anyone explain this?

I'm getting a 2nd 622 on Thursday to see if it makes any difference. If not, I can live with the video over HDMI and Optical audio. The picture and audio is very good.

Thanks.

Mileskat

My HDMI (direct to Panasonic Plasma) works AOK - video + audio. Gotta be a bum 622, altho it is strange that it partially works with the Denon in the middle. Could try the component video + rca audio while you wait on the 2nd 622 - if your TV has input for component.

Cold Irons

When the tech guy came out to set up the new 622, he could not get the HDMI to work so we just connected with component and optical out directly to the tv. After he left, I ran the component from 622 to Denon and another set of component to TV and optical out from 622 to Denon. Works (ed) fine.

The next day, I watched a DVD - DVI<-->HDMI to Denon & HDMI to tv. After the dvd ran, I switched back to DBS on the Denon, and, surprise, the HDMI worked on the 622. It had not worked before. Well, it "works" as I described in my 1st post.

So, as I said, I can use the HDMI from the 622 (& optical cable for audio) when run to Denon. I just don't get audio from HDMI cable nor can I runHDMI directly to TV (though there is no reason to). I think I'll have another 622 to try on Thursday.

20 miles out of town and . . .

Mileskat

My 622 of one week was replaced today to correct no audio from the HDMI output. Happy to say that the replacement unit works as it should, i.e., video AND audio are output from the HDMI cable.

Mileskat

Comparable Problem

Who did you call to get that done? I called the dish HD tech and he fixated on whether the "green light" was glowing on the 211 front panel. I said you mean the power light. He said just the "green light". Yes, I said, the power is on. He said is the green light on? It was too dismal after that.

All my dealings with Dishnetwork have been through a local satellite store. They installed the dish & 522, and recently when I switched to the 622 from a 522, they swapped out the Super Dish for a Dish 1000. They handled all communications with Dishnetwork and it has gone very smoothly. I have not spoken with Dishnetwork except to cancel my service protection plan after the one-year no-charge.

Mileskat

HDMI Problems also

I've been pulling my hair out (trust me, I don't have much to start) because I'm not sure where my HDMI problems lie.

I have a Panasonic PT50-LCX63 (Rear projection LCD). So far I've had a Time-Warner (Scientific Atlanta) Explorer 8300HD (never had audio via HDMI and enough occasions of "HDCP not supported" message that I switched back to component connections). Apparently the HDCP message is a known issue with this box.

A couple weeks ago, I went back to Dish and the Vip622. The first Vip622 was no audio via HDMI (but pretty consistant video), this unit had to be replaced because of tuner issues. The second Vip622 has also never had audio, and the video only works after I unplug the HDMI cable and replug it in (consistantly).

I've replaced the cable, contacted Panasonic (to see if there were known issues...they're "investigating"...this is one of their first HDMI TV's). Given I've had multiple tuners (and never had audio, I was thinking either cable or TV, but now I'm not so sure). I wish I had a known "good" HDMI source I could try :(

I'm starting to think HDMI is falling into the "plug and pray" category of protocols.

Anyone have suggestions or similar experiences?
Thanks,
Jon

Here is a 'temporary fix' for the HDMI problem that will probably work for most of you (or at least it should let you know if your HDMI output is truly dead or just temporarily brain-dead):

turn the receiver on - hit SELECT if it was in standby

enter the following key sequence:

menu-6-8-left-left-down-right-right-select

It will try switching to 720p and reinit the hdmi handshaking crap. Your video and audio will then return and you can cancel the 720p switch and it will revert back to 1080i (or whatever you had it set at before).

Last edited:

Watch recorded programs without being connected to dish

Spot Beams

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)