have your own satlist

Okay I finally succeeded in Downloading just the West Satellites from 139.0W to 50.0W from that above transponder/generator list, and Downloaded it to my DeskTop. Its NOT even compressed. Now do I save it to my new SanDisk Cruser Micro USB Flash Drive and Load it onto my AZBox as my new or Backup sat file when I get delivery of my new Receiver next week?

As Caseyman said above, use AzboxEdit to convert it to a .dat file, then FTP that DVBS.dat file to the Azbox.
I'm not sure that I would recommend using AzboxEdit to transfer the files to the Azbox though, unless you have old firmware compatable with it. I think I've used versions created around the 2880 firmware, but I'm not positive. When I did this .XML thing I had some issues relative to getting the resultant sat file compatable with the channels I already had loaded. I probably shouldn't have tried changing the sat file while there were already channels saved under other names, however I got it to work, but I can't remember the step by step process. I think it involved downloading files from the Azbox then merging that with the new .xml created file, but I can't remember. Eventually though I got a good working sat file compatable with my channels, but I'm thinking it might be better to just now have channels saved when you FTP up the DVBS.dat file. I don't think there should be any problems if you send up the replacement DVBS.dat file prior to saving any channels, but I've never done it like that.

As Caseyman said above, use AzboxEdit to convert it to a .dat file, then FTP that DVBS.dat file to the Azbox.
I'm not sure that I would recommend using AzboxEdit to transfer the files to the Azbox though, unless you have old firmware compatable with it. I think I've used versions created around the 2880 firmware, but I'm not positive. When I did this .XML thing I had some issues relative to getting the resultant sat file compatable with the channels I already had loaded. I probably shouldn't have tried changing the sat file while there were already channels saved under other names, however I got it to work, but I can't remember the step by step process. I think it involved downloading files from the Azbox then merging that with the new .xml created file, but I can't remember. Eventually though I got a good working sat file compatable with my channels, but I'm thinking it might be better to just now have channels saved when you FTP up the DVBS.dat file. I don't think there should be any problems if you send up the replacement DVBS.dat file prior to saving any channels, but I've never done it like that.

Thanks B.J. right now I haven't got a clue even how to create a .dat file so I guess I need to do a lot of research / studying. That European Sat list that I just Downloaded and Customized to North America looks great. Hopefully when the Box arrives next week it will have some Sats on it to at least get started scanning.

Thanks B.J. right now I haven't got a clue even how to create a .dat file so I guess I need to do a lot of research / studying. That European Sat list that I just Downloaded and Customized to North America looks great. Hopefully when the Box arrives next week it will have some Sats on it to at least get started scanning.

Just download that AzboxEdit program, I think it's referred to as the 2880 version. Run that, and in the "Organize Sat & TP" tab, import the .xml file you created, then, also in that same Organize tab, there is a button to "SAVE Antenna list and DVBS.dat". You'll now have those files on your hard drive, and you can use any generic FTP program to send it to the Azbox.

I haven't used the .XML method since I've upgraded firmware, so I'm not positive which firmware versions it works on, but from what I've read, it should still work.
If your Azbox comes with a very old firmware version, you might first update to that 2880 version, then do the .xml thing, because I know that works, but I think it should work with any version after 2880.

Just download that AzboxEdit program, I think it's referred to as the 2880 version. Run that, and in the "Organize Sat & TP" tab, import the .xml file you created, then, also in that same Organize tab, there is a button to "SAVE Antenna list and DVBS.dat". You'll now have those files on your hard drive, and you can use any generic FTP program to send it to the Azbox.

I haven't used the .XML method since I've upgraded firmware, so I'm not positive which firmware versions it works on, but from what I've read, it should still work.
If your Azbox comes with a very old firmware version, you might first update to that 2880 version, then do the .xml thing, because I know that works, but I think it should work with any version after 2880.

Thanks for your patience B.J. Where is that AzboxEdit program that you are referring to?

Thanks for your patience B.J. Where is that AzboxEdit program that you are referring to?

I'm having a hard time with my memory here. I seem to remember using 3 or possibly 4 different versions of AzboxEdit, and I'm not positive which firmware versions I used each with. At some point they had to change AzboxEdit to work with newer firmware, and then at some point people stopped using AzboxEdit, because there were more changes in the firmware that killed it to some extent, but I'm not sure when each change occurred.
I know that I now have on my computer a versions 0.9.2371, 2880 and a version 2880a. My Azbox came with 2371 firmware, so I may have started with that version of the editor, however I may have tried solving my problems by upgrading firmware first, so I may have used the 2880 first, I'm just not positive.
I THINK (hopefully someone with better memory can comment) that I was most sucessful with 2880a editor while running firmware version 3877 , but it may have been that I used the earlier 2880 version with another earlier firmware version, and then switched to the later firmware and editor. I'm just not sure, however I do seem to remember that 3877 was the most stable of the Azbox firmware versions, and I only switched from that because I wanted to try some of the streaming capabilities of later firmware versions. But I'm pretty sure that the AzboxEdit 2880a works fairly well with firmware 3877, and I think that the more recent firmware versions could use the DVBS.dat files from 3877. So I think that using 2880a would be the one you want, but again, hopefully someone else with better memory can help.

Anyway, I tried to find the link where I downloaded it, but couldn't find it. I googled, AzboxEdit 2880a, and came up with several links, any of which should be OK, but I'm not sure which I used. It DID come as a rar file, so I needed to unpack it, and if you don't have a program to unpack rar files, that could slow you down. So I took the files that a RAR unpacker creates, and zipped them. I tried to attach them here, but the file was ~ 6.2 MB, and the limit was ~ 4.5 MB, so it wouldn't let me attach it. If you can't unpack the rar versions you'll find by Googling, I can send you the file via another method. But I think version 2880a is the one you want.

EDIT: see PMAIL

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time with my memory here. I seem to remember using 3 or possibly 4 different versions of AzboxEdit, and I'm not positive which firmware versions I used each with. At some point they had to change AzboxEdit to work with newer firmware, and then at some point people stopped using AzboxEdit, because there were more changes in the firmware that killed it to some extent, but I'm not sure when each change occurred.
I know that I now have on my computer a versions 0.9.2371, 2880 and a version 2880a. My Azbox came with 2371 firmware, so I may have started with that version of the editor, however I may have tried solving my problems by upgrading firmware first, so I may have used the 2880 first, I'm just not positive.
I THINK (hopefully someone with better memory can comment) that I was most sucessful with 2880a editor while running firmware version 3877 , but it may have been that I used the earlier 2880 version with another earlier firmware version, and then switched to the later firmware and editor. I'm just not sure, however I do seem to remember that 3877 was the most stable of the Azbox firmware versions, and I only switched from that because I wanted to try some of the streaming capabilities of later firmware versions. But I'm pretty sure that the AzboxEdit 2880a works fairly well with firmware 3877, and I think that the more recent firmware versions could use the DVBS.dat files from 3877. So I think that using 2880a would be the one you want, but again, hopefully someone else with better memory can help.

Anyway, I tried to find the link where I downloaded it, but couldn't find it. I googled, AzboxEdit 2880a, and came up with several links, any of which should be OK, but I'm not sure which I used. It DID come as a rar file, so I needed to unpack it, and if you don't have a program to unpack rar files, that could slow you down. So I took the files that a RAR unpacker creates, and zipped them. I tried to attach them here, but the file was ~ 6.2 MB, and the limit was ~ 4.5 MB, so it wouldn't let me attach it. If you can't unpack the rar versions you'll find by Googling, I can send you the file via another method. But I think version 2880a is the one you want.

EDIT: see PMAIL

B.J. Thanks for the AZBoxEdit 2880a re your PM. One question: everytime I download that Customized ini Sat list to AZBoxEdit I save all 46 Western Sats re File Save, BUT when I Exit and then open up AZBoxEdit again the list is LOST!! Shouldn't the Sat list always be there once you Save it?

B.J. Thanks for the AZBoxEdit 2880a re your PM. One question: everytime I download that Customized ini Sat list to AZBoxEdit I save all 46 Western Sats re File Save, BUT when I Exit and then open up AZBoxEdit again the list is LOST!! Shouldn't the Sat list always be there once you Save it?

Not positive exactly what you're doing. If I import a .xml file into AzboxEdit in the middle tab, I can save the 2 .dat files. I usually save it to a new directory. Then, if I come back into the program, I can open up those 2 .dat files, again in the middle tab. If I try to open the files in the left ( hand "Organize list" tab instead of the middle "Organize Sat & TP" tab, then it starts out asking for the all_channel.dat file which was not created from the .xml import.

One other somewhat important thing that I noticed (and I hope I'm remembering this right) is that I had tried to manually edit those .xml files using a multi format text editor, and I'd create files that seemed to be perfect, but when I'd go to load them, it wouldn't work, and I couldn't figure out WHY for the longest time. It turned out that even though the Import from satellites.xml button brings up a window that will show multiple .xml files, assuming that you've changed the name when you edited them, that the program will ONLY import files named satellites.xml . So you sort of have to save them via other names, then change the name of the one you want to use.

hello Gents
I am new at this, please be patient with me,
I am trying to create a new sat list, i downloaded XML list with my choice of sats.
save it to my desktop .
the file shows satellites(6), I also downloaded AZBOX EDIT PROGRAM the 2880 c .
I also have the notepad ++ to edit the XML files.
Reading this thread i should rename sats, how do you do that, what names can i use.
can you give me an example? how do i rename this sat:
sat name="Telstar 14 (63.0W)" flags="0" position="-630">
Bj I don't understand this portion of your suggestions, can you be more specific.
( So you sort of have to save them via other names, then change the name of the one you want to use).
please let me know.
thanks in advance.
Regards.
Chewie;)

I didn't recommend changing the name of any satellite. If you have the sats you want, just leave the names as they are. But that wasn't what I was referring to when I mentioned changing names.

What I was referring to, is if you go to that web page that generates the .xml files, you get a file named satellites.xml. When I made my original sat list, I didn't go to the web page, but instead I just used an example that someone posted, and I edited it, adding some sats and deleting some, then I re-named the file something like satellites-1.xml, so that I would still have the original. Then, however, I would go into the AzboxEdit program, and I would try to import this satellites-1.xml file, and it wouldn't work (I can't remember what happened, ie whether it bombed or if it imported the original instead of the edited one). The problem turned out to be that the AzboxEdit program could only import a file named satellites.xml, even though it had a window where you could select files of other names. So all I was saying, was that if you get a .xml file, and perhaps get more than one of them, and save them by names other than satellites.xml, then, before you can import the files into AzboxEdit, you need to change it's name back to satellites.xml, or it won't import properly. OR, keep the files in separate directories, leaving the names unchanged.
I probably shouldn't have mentioned the above, because most people probably wouldn't create more than one .xml file, and probably wouldn't do any editing anyway.

You CAN edit the .xml file if you are very careful to keep the format the same. The files are generated with line feeds only instead of CR/LF that Windows editors use. It may not have been necessary, but when I edited the .xml files, I was careful to use an editor that was capable of using the LF termination instead of CR/LF.

I didn't recommend changing the name of any satellite. If you have the sats you want, just leave the names as they are. But that wasn't what I was referring to when I mentioned changing names.

What I was referring to, is if you go to that web page that generates the .xml files, you get a file named satellites.xml. When I made my original sat list, I didn't go to the web page, but instead I just used an example that someone posted, and I edited it, adding some sats and deleting some, then I re-named the file something like satellites-1.xml, so that I would still have the original. Then, however, I would go into the AzboxEdit program, and I would try to import this satellites-1.xml file, and it wouldn't work (I can't remember what happened, ie whether it bombed or if it imported the original instead of the edited one). The problem turned out to be that the AzboxEdit program could only import a file named satellites.xml, even though it had a window where you could select files of other names. So all I was saying, was that if you get a .xml file, and perhaps get more than one of them, and save them by names other than satellites.xml, then, before you can import the files into AzboxEdit, you need to change it's name back to satellites.xml, or it won't import properly. OR, keep the files in separate directories, leaving the names unchanged.
I probably shouldn't have mentioned the above, because most people probably wouldn't create more than one .xml file, and probably wouldn't do any editing anyway.

You CAN edit the .xml file if you are very careful to keep the format the same. The files are generated with line feeds only instead of CR/LF that Windows editors use. It may not have been necessary, but when I edited the .xml files, I was careful to use an editor that was capable of using the LF termination instead of CR/LF.
hello BJ
Thanks for your suggestions, but still having a problem, I downloaded a new list of sats, before I save it i change the name to chewie, than it was save toa temp.
folder in my desktop, I went into the folder and change the name of the file to
satellites.xml, I open my AZEDIT HIT THE MIDDLE TAB, I press on
(import from satellites.xml, a window opens up i click on the temp. folder where my file is at, highlight the file and press open on the window, and nothing happens, is there any other way import these files to AZBOXEDIT?
Please let me know.
thanks in advance
regards.
Chewie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts