Having Dish installed tomorrow

Danny Boy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2005
New York
Hi All,

I've been surfing around here for a couple of days, posted a few comments. I have a couple of questions, I'm basically satellite stupid. :)

We decided to switch to Dish after calling my telco to order DSL. They offered a package deal for phone/dsl/dish which was hard to pass up. I've had Road Runner for a while and the connection constantly drops during the day so I'd rather have a little slower connection (DSL) and have it be reliable. Plus on the lower channels we get a very quality picture on all our TV the cable co. has been here twice and hasn't fixed anything.

We ordered the Top 120 package. It came with the free DVR upgrade. So we'll be getting the Dual Tuner DVR and 1 addtional receiver. I read @ the dish website that if a receiver is not connected to a phone line it's an extra $5/mo. I read some where else that it only applies to the dual tuner setups. I'm already having the phone jack in my bedroom moved closer to my TV for my DSL since this is where my router is already set up. In the second bedroom where the second receiver is going to go, there is a phone wire but no jack. If don't setup a jack in there am I going to be charged extra?

Is the installer going to run all new wire from the dish or try and patch into our exsisting cable wire? I suspect that our reception problems were caused by the wiring exsisting in the house.

Thank you for your time,

Dan

Danny boy, are you getting only 1 Dual Tuner DVR?? If so that one box will work two T.V.'s you will only need the phone jack where the reciever will be located. If you do not have it plugged into a phone line then you will be charged an additional outlet fee of $4.99 a month. As far as the cable in your house.... just do not let the installer use an RG-59 cable to feed the reciever, it's okay for the back feed to the 2nd TV but not for the feed from the dish. Also be sure that you have an extra DSL filte or two as you will need those for the phone lines that you connect and receiver to. Good luck, let us know how the install went.
P.S. Do not sign anything or let the installer leave until you are satisfied that everything is working properly.

I was wondering why he called you "Danny boy" but it seems that's your screen name. Welcome to the forum.

For your install tomorrow, what you want to do is make sure that the installer inspects your existing wiring. Ask him what your existing wiring is. If it's RG-59 single or double-shield, he has to replace it. In fact, he has to replace it if it's RG-59 quad-shielded, but you shouldn't have problems on quad-shield. And yep, analog cable is notorious for signal inconsistencies. If anything, their picture is very clear on a good signal day while very snowy when it's low. Getting a good analog signal is hit or miss as some neighborhoods are immune to it while others fluctuate wildly.

Regardless, make sure the installer use proper grounding methods to ground your dish and wires going into your house.

Confirm that you're getting good signals across all the receivers in your house. You shouldn't have more than 10 point difference in signal quality among different locations in your house. A signal of 90 and higher is acceptable (100 and higher is good) for 110/119 while 75 and higher is acceptable (85 and higher is good) for 105/121. These are the peak signals so if a particular transponder is low, check another one. A few TP's have lower signals than others.

Thank you for the replies and welcome. I'm hoping since I ordered through my phone company the telephone guy installs it. I went to school with his son, and he'll run all new wires for me. I'm probably dreaming though as Dish will probably send their own guy.

Wobbie, I'm getting the Dual-DVR for the living room and my bedroom. The additional receiver is going to be in the second bedroom. I'm wondering if I'll be charged extra for not having a tel. jack in the room.

Just wondering for the standard package what kind of Dish/Receivers do they usually send? I'm thinking the DVR 522/625 and 301.

I forgot to mention the dish has be mounted on the oppisite side of the buliding from where the cable leads are so I'm thinking they're going to have to bring in a new lead. Before they come I'm going to take out the two splitters I have. The recievers must come with spilters.

BTW Anyone have any experince with home networking?

if they use a single receiver in the room not on the dvr (probably a 311), no you will not need that receiver plugged into the phone line. You will just need the phone line on the 625.
and no it will most likely not be the phone guy that installs the dish, unless he just happens to be a SBCA certified installer and also works for the retailer that dish will use.
And as far as your splitters go, they will not be used... you can't have a splitter in a satellite feed line.
there will be a line going from the dish to the 625, and a seperate direct line from the dish to the 311... and then there will be a line from the 625 to the bedroom for the second tv output...
and as far as home networking goes, i recommend wireless, unless you feel like running cat5 around your house
just my thought

Bird,

Thanx for the information. I already have a wireless network installed with a Linksys WRT54G. I currently have it set up for Road Runner and I'm wondering what settings I'll have to change for DSL. I tried my DSL tech support line which tells me to hit the reset on the back of the router.

Don't even have the service yet and already disatisfied. Installer never showed today. Called customer service, they couldn't get a hold of the dispatch office yadda yadda. CSR tried telling they can show up until 9 PM (what idiot is going to climb a ladder in the dark) wound leaving today's work order open and rescheduling for Wednesday morning. Wonder if they will show

Danny Boy said:
Don't even have the service yet and already disatisfied. Installer never showed today. Called customer service, they couldn't get a hold of the dispatch office yadda yadda. CSR tried telling they can show up until 9 PM (what idiot is going to climb a ladder in the dark) wound leaving today's work order open and rescheduling for Wednesday morning. Wonder if they will show

Welcome to the world of "professional" installation:eek:

You made a big mistake by calling someone that farms out the install... To get the service before, during and after, you should contact your LOCAL GUY... They will take care of you... Also WHY does sending the money possible to stay in your area to go to a corporation that does not care about you in the least, except for your money from the install... :no Take a look at in a place that can help you find a retailer near you or even open the phone book...

Thats terrible. It blows my mind how stuff like that can happen. NOT EVEN A FLIPPING PHONE CALL. I've heard storries like that before... I would be dis-satissfied as well. Try to get the subcontracting outfit that botched your schedual, then call THEM and complain, and call DISH directly and tell them how terrible that outfit treated you.

Oh, and by the way. I'm one of those idiots that climbs ladders in the dark. :yes I've done it plenty of times. Once I started a new connect at 9:00PM... finnished a bit after 11:00PM. It was horrible. I had 4 new connects and 2 dish movers that day. Best/Worst day EVER. It's not the INSTALLERS fault per say (though, he 100% should call you well in advance -several hours- to let you know what his schedual is like for the day). If I have a PM install that I can't get to until 7:00PMish, I call the customer BEFORE NOON to let them know that I've been overbooked... just like every other flipping day of the week... :mad:

I'm not pissed at the installer himself, although a phone call would have been nice.

I'm sure with the way dish gives out installs they probably over book the installer. I used to work for a large DJ service where I used to set up a system before the DJ would proform. My boss would book me to setup 4 systems in less than 3 hours including travel time between venues. It's just not possible. It isn't the installers fault that Dish gives them an impossible timeline.

As for going with someone local. I would much rather give my money to a local guy, but I don't think I'm able to pick my installer since I ordered a package deal through my phone company.

I don't mean to offend anyone by call night installers idiots.. I just think going on a roof at night is potientally dangerous, and for something that isn't that important (dish) it could be avoided.

I have a funny feeling the installer was actually here. There was a big grey van sitting outside my house on a cell phone for a good half hour. I think when he seen it's a three story building he didn't have a ladder long enough. Where I live homes are at most 2 stories.

My mother is already talking about keeping basic cable in case the dish goes out. (She's a TV addict) So, I'm going to have the installer run all new wire. Should I just use an AB switch for switching from cable to satellite.? It would only be on the TV in the living room.

Danny Boy said:
So, I'm going to have the installer run all new wire. Should I just use an AB switch for switching from cable to satellite.? It would only be on the TV in the living room.
He probably wont have to run new wire... Have them install a diplexer... Most REAL installers no what they are and how to use them... Almost forgot... Hope you can imagine service after the install... You will probably have to call the LOCAL GUY and he might just tell ya they dont do service on equipment that is NOT theres... I suggest doing a cancel of work order and calling the LOCAL GUY...

oljim said:
Have them run ALL new wire. Good installers never use diplexers

Good cable TV installers never ever use SPLITTERS either. They run miles of new cables directly from their main hub. :rolleyes:

Episode # 2:

The installer actually shows up today. That's a plus. I was throughly impressed with the guy though. He cannot be much older than me (21) He walked me through the whole job, explained everything. When he seen I had run my own wires for cable, he explained why he was replacing one of the leads, excetra.

So we go through the walk through and BSing about everyday stuff. This takes about an hour. Which is no problem with me, then he goes outside and decides it's raining to hard to do the install. Which I completely understand, I wouldn't want the guy to fall or get electrocuted because I want Dish network. You know what I mean? :D

I'm really starting to reconsider this whole thing though. We got off on the wrong foot because the guy never showed in the first place on Monday now today we cannot get the install done. It's supposed to rain here until next Monday. Mean while I'm paying the full package price for my phone service which includes the dish network.

I'm wondering if I can get out that contract since the equipment isn't even installed yet?

I'd definitely call them up and explain the situation. Ask them to give you some kind of credit since you have a bundle deal. As for you not getting the service yet, it's been the no-show and then the weather. They made 1 mistake so far so I say give them another chance. With weather-related cancellations and reschedules, it sucks for everyone.

We called cancelled, it's not worth the aggravation. We got a package from the cable company for Road Runner digital cable, DVR, 4 Premiums for 141/mo. Tomorrow I'm going to call and try to knock down the the price by taking off the preminums.

Going to cancel DSL to, just not fast enough for me. I just reconnected my cable modem and I'm getting 4316 kb down thats 4 times faster as I was getting with DSL

I'm still going to hang around this forum though, I've always been fancinated by Satellites. :)

Your DSL is that slow? Around here, you can get 3 MB down for only $29.99. You're paying $141 with internet?

With DISH and their America's Everything Pak at $87.99 for up to 2 rooms, or $92.99 for up to 4 rooms, you get all the premiums. If you add DSL for $30, you're going to save at least around $18 per month. Plus, if you're bundling you probably got it for cheaper than that. That's nothing to sneeze at. But if DSL costs more than that for you AND is slower, I can understand. Anything around 1 MB down is a bit slow by today's standards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)