Having problems with a Quad 3 Ghz Ground Block and a DP34

Devil24

Proud Supporter of SatelliteGuys.US
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 3, 2005
Houston, TX
Hey guys, I was finally able to complete my 61.5 install today (a DIY project, hehe). I also replaced (and tested) all the cables from my old Dish 500 w/DP Twin (110 and 119) just to make sure that everything was done based on the same standardized stuff.

Now, here's what's happening:

I'm able to connect all 3 sats (61.5, 110 and 119) to my DP34 perfectly. My 2 IRDs are able to lock the signals without a prob (all 3 signals with values higher than 95, which was a pleasant surprise).

Dish 500 # 1 w/DP Twin (110, 119) + Dish 500 # 2 w/DP Dual (61.5) >>> DP34 >>> 811 and 301= Everything works as supposed. The IRDs lock the signal for all 3 sats.

Now, if I add a Quad 3 Ghz DISH Pro approved ground block to the equation (I bought it at The Dish Store), only 110 and 119 will lock a signal and 61.5 will not even show a reading for one. I tried checking/testing all the cables and they work perfectly. I also tested changing the positions of every cable on the ground block and still got the same results. No 61.5 but a locked and loaded 110 and 119 combo.

Dish 500 # 1 w/DP Twin (110, 119) + Dish 500 # 2 w/DP Dual (61.5) >>> Quad 3 Ghz DISH Pro Approved Ground Block >>> DP34 >>> 811 and 301 = No Go. Only 110 and 119 will show and lock a signal. 61.5 will not even show a reading for one.

I'm using high quality RG6 3 Ghz coax cable, Gilbert/T&B Snap-n-Seal/PPC EX6XL compression connectors (yeah, I've tested with them all :(), so, I really don't know what else to try. Could this be caused by a faulty ground block??? if so, why is it then working/passing through signals from 2 different sats but not from a 3rd one?

Any comments/suggestions/ideas would be appreciated. I'm just trying to go by the book with this install. And since Storm Season is coming, I'd like to have all my sat setup fully grounded ASAP.

Also, I'd like to have my setup ready to add an extra dual-tuner IRD anytime I want (a 942 or any future MPEG4-ready unit). What else should I add to it right now?

Thanks in advace for your time and your help!

Regards,
The H

Just FYI the DP34 switch serves as a ground block so you dont even need that seperate ground block

BFG,

Really??? that's f*cking funny... especially after spending like 3 hours this evening trying to find out WTF was wrong with the damned thing.

Thanks for your reply :)... man, do I feel dumb right now :rolleyes:.

Yup it's mentioned in the DP34 pamphlet that the switch takes the place as a grounding block.

If you notice next 2 one of the mounting screws is the hole for the copper wire to stick into and also it has the screw already there to tighten it down.

BFG,

Well, I got my DP34 from eBay a few months ago... and it came with no documentation, so... I guess I should've google'd for it just to make sure.

Anyway, thanks for your insight... :)... it's really appreciated.

No, a DP34 is not considered a ground.
The switch does say it, and we had quite an argument in our shop about it, but what we were told, is that according to the NEC code, no electrical component of a system can serve as a ground.

Yeah...

He's probably right about the NEC thing, but I can't verify.

I DO know that at our anual installer meeting in Milwaukee, WI we were told not to use DP34s as grounding blocks because they are not (YET) UL rated. They also told us that they were hoping to GET them UL rated by this summer...

Having said all that, I always ground the system at the DP34 switch. :D I haven't failed a QC yet for it.

Hmmm... OK.

Well, if 'I'm not supposed' to use the DP34 as one and the Quad ground block I have is giving me the aforementioned problems, what's the best advice you guys can give me???

joshschuler said:
No, a DP34 is not considered a ground.
The switch does say it, and we had quite an argument in our shop about it, but what we were told, is that according to the NEC code, no electrical component of a system can serve as a ground.
Gawd, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Yes, the DP34, and most/all other switches, CAN serve as ground blocks. And Zandarkoad, I have seen hardcopy that says they are UL-approved for this purpose.

As for the original question, I think rficken00 nailed it - short stingers are likely to be the problem.

Glad to have some support from a Retailer/Installer, thaks Simon :) Makes me feel better because I removed my ground blocks when I put up the DP34 ;)

Question for retailers

721 Update L175

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)