HBO and Cinemax HD - good but could be better

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

skottey

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Denver Metro, CO
I took the time to compare the HD-DVD disc version of Transformers and the HD version of the movie DVR'd off Cinemax HD (West). Obviously, I expect that the HD-DVD version (1080P) is going to be a better picture than the overly compressed 1080i version on Cinemax. My biggest gripe isn't the quality. I mean come on, I sit and watch the HD channels and love the quality. What gets me is that Cinemax and HBO are not maintaining the original aspect ratio as the movie was intended. Sure, I understand the pan and scan being done with SD televisions since the dawn of premium channels and movies on TV in general. But now is the time to maintain the OAR with these new HD channels. HBO and Cinemax need to face up to the fact that subscribers are willing to look at black bars if it means OAR. Especially the early adapters and educated consumers.

We need to start some movement to have HBO and Max implement OAR. If I am not mistaken Starz does it and I know Showtime does it on some of its channels for sure. MGM channel uses OAR too, for example.

hdcompare.jpg

took me a bit to interpret the picture, but its pretty compelling, for sure. Of course a LOT of people have new 16x9 tvs and do NOT want to see black bars at all; and will gladly lose part of the picture for a filled, unzoomed screen.

I haven't found a way to get anyone to do anything.

I can't even get the admins of this Forum to change a few Forums to a more logical setup.

I certainly have no way to get:

- Channels to use O.A.R.
- Channels not to use "stretchovision"
- Channels to lose the "bug"
- Channels not to have pop-up ads during programs
- Channels not to have "sound effects" for their graphics
- MHD not to have some videos very quiet followed by some very loud
- Channels not to have "Democratic Strategists" and "Republican Strategists" reading from today's Talking Points Memo from the DNC or RNC (which we can read for ourselves on the web sites).

and on and on...

took me a bit to interpret the picture, but its pretty compelling, for sure. Of course a LOT of people have new 16x9 tvs and do NOT want to see black bars at all; and will gladly lose part of the picture for a filled, unzoomed screen.

Well, keep in mind that 16x9 is closer to OAR than 4:3 was, which translates to an OAR movie with less black bars on a 16x9 television. Even the most widest action film doesn't have that bad of black bars on a 16x9 TV as opposed to the old 4:3 TVs. Some level of black bars should be acceptable I think to maintain OAR.

I haven't found a way to get anyone to do anything.

I can't even get the admins of this Forum to change a few Forums to a more logical setup.

I certainly have no way to get:

- Channels to use O.A.R.
- Channels not to use "stretchovision"
- Channels to lose the "bug"
- Channels not to have pop-up ads during programs
- Channels not to have "sound effects" for their graphics
- MHD not to have some videos very quiet followed by some very loud
- Channels not to have "Democratic Strategists" and "Republican Strategists" reading from today's Talking Points Memo from the DNC or RNC (which we can read for ourselves on the web sites).

and on and on...

The audio getting louder during commercials is becoming a serious problem. I have noticed it to be especially bad on Fox Business HD since switching to DirecTV from BHN cable. With BHN cable, I didn't get the HD version of the channel but now I watch it on DirecTV. I don't know if it is the channel or the provider but it is not me just hearing things. It really is getting louder during ads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)