HBO GO / Privacy Be Aware

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
In the latest update, it asked to it will have access to the phone list and GPS location. Why does HBO needs to have this information? I do not get it? I ended up uninstalling it from Android Phone

There's probably a specific, non-threatening reason as to why it needs it. This is HBO, not some rogue malicious app. The main point of the update was to add Jellybean support. I'm sure the app is still fine.

The reason for GPS location is probably to make sure it doesn't deliver content if you are not in the US. If you are across the river in Niagara or Windsor for example. I can't think of anything off the top of my head for needing phone list info, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

The reason for GPS location is probably to make sure it doesn't deliver content if you are not in the US. If you are across the river in Niagara or Windsor for example. I can't think of anything off the top of my head for needing phone list info, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
You don't need GPS for content location restrictions. They can just look at the IP address and figure that out.

I'm looking at the System Permissions right now. It looks like they ARE using GPS for content restriction but I don't see why they have to use it for that. I'd think you could just use an IP lookup and you could always disable your network location services info on your phone to bypass that.

I don't see anything that says that it looks at your phone list. All it looks at is the state of your phone. That's so if you get a phone call the video will stop and you can answer your call. You'd be surprised how this can sometimes NOT be properly implemented in apps. For a while with my SiriusXM app if it was playing and I received a phone call, it would mute while I answered the phone on the screen, but when I actually accepted the call and such it would start playing again and it would screw up my phone calls.

So as I said, you can safely use the HBO GO App.

As I mentioned before, if you are right across the border, you are most likely looking at your home towers which are most likely in your home country. The last time I went to Canada I was in Niagara and along the river on the Canadian side. My phone never once bounced off a Canadian tower during three days in Canada, at least my bill always had me in New York and not Canada. The GPS feature is the only way to make sure you are not being delivered US content in Canada.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts