HBO, Max, Showtime, etc... VOD Question for HD

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Is the PQ better than the actual channel broadcast. I know on Directv HBO was (never tried the others), because it was just a download and not real time.

Thanks.

No, broadcast is better. Downloads look much more compressed, IMO.

BTW, HBO go over Roku is as good or not better than broadcast.

RE 1080i...does not matter if a program is overly compressed via one source, and not on another.

Last edited:
To my eyes,I have to agree with Kab,dish on demand pq seems a little less than live broadcast.

imho it looks great on the roku 2.Dish on demand isn't bad quality,it's just not what I would call outstanding.To me it does look better on the roku though.

I don't even bother to record most HBO shows anymore since Roku 2.

It was on the Roku, Im sure itll be as nice or better on the ATV3 as well, since it buffers content.

Yes, or course, since you paid so.;) You might want to google about the atv3 and buffering. Hope you are a patient man.

Last edited:
Ive actually had a an ATV before, to start buffering a 2 hour movie its just a minute or two on my 6mbps DSL, tv show is pretty fast. When you have erratic connection like me, Id rather rate on the buffer to load up part of the show for 30 seconds, instead of getting my quality reduction. Thats what I like about Vudu on the PS3 it actually downloads the movie instead of variable rate streaming. I have no access to cable HSI, so Im screwed here. I need file downloads or buffering. I almost got a TiVo instead of the ATV3, but I hate paying them $15 a month on top of buying tv shows. Their unbox download of Amazon tv shows offers spectacular PQ, and they auto download each week when the new episode is released if you buy a series pass.

Amazon on my Roku 2 has been great the last few days, but last night the quality went to hell so I backed out and ran a speed test. Instead of my normal 5.5mbps, it was running about 2mbps. Every now and then this happens here, which is why Id rather have the buffer to maintain full PQ. While there is a delay, an ATV will beat variable rate streaming on a lower end connection anyday.

I am not dialing back my satellite service so I can trade one bad PQ experience for another. Now I know there are a lot of posts on ATV buffering issues, but thats like any other problem on a google search. I had zero issues when I had an ATV with my 4g hotspot and this crapp-o DSL.

After a little more research, I think the Roku is the better move and here is why. Considering I have a 5.5 mbps down (good day) DSL service, a 1.8 gig tv show on ATV will take 45-49 mins to download. So thats 3-7 mins longer than the show, which leaves you will some wait time and very little cushion. While the Amazon VOD service is 3.5mbps (max needed) and 720p, it destroys the PQ I currently get from Dish and the Hopper on my 65". I think Ill set the Roku 2 up in the bedroom, grab a Roku 3 (since its speedier) for the living room, to further my transition.

OT, but I wanted to report back. Its funny a 3.5mpbs 720p stream over DSL can beat the Dish, OTA and Directv PQ.

OT, but I wanted to report back. Its funny a 3.5mpbs 720p stream over DSL can beat the Dish, OTA and Directv PQ.

I don't think it's funny at all.:rant: I understand both sat companies are strapped for b/w but,they over compress imho.I have seen some sd shows via the roku and ps3 that were almost as good as some sat hd shows.

Yepp. I'm not sure what Netflix's higher HD tier requires (not Super HD) but their original shows are super sharp and look better than anything on Dish as well. My OTA locals kinda stink because they all have at least one subchannel.

Companies like Dish and Directv are going to slowly lose me as a customer. If I have to spend a little more money each year, it does not bother me, I enjoy the quality of the image as well as the show. Swamp Men and Deadliest Catch look HORRENDOUS at times on Dish, looks good off Amazon VOD in HD.

Yepp. I'm not sure what Netflix's higher HD tier requires (not Super HD) but their original shows are super sharp and look better than anything on Dish as well. My OTA locals kinda stink because they all have at least one subchannel.

Companies like Dish and Directv are going to slowly lose me as a customer. If I have to spend a little more money each year, it does not bother me, I enjoy the quality of the image as well as the show. Swamp Men and Deadliest Catch look HORRENDOUS at times on Dish, looks good off Amazon VOD in HD.
Yes they DO look horrendous...but no provider can change that.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)