HBO Max - WarnerMedia Announces Upcoming Streaming Service

Get on Roku first!
I bought a Shield to get HBOMAX, great box, the upconverting on 720P and 1080P content is the best I have seen on a Streaming Box, almost looks 4K.

It is my go to box when my wife does not have control of the TV, she prefers the Roku because it is so easy, she hates switching inputs, quite happy with all the apps.

Reactions: Ronnie- and ncted
TBH, watching Lovecraft Country and His Dark Materials on my new LG CX OLED (via the Google TV Chromecast and 4K FireTV stick), I can't imagine it gets any better with 4K/HDR.

I bought a Shield to get HBOMAX, great box, the upconverting on 720P and 1080P content is the best I have seen on a Streaming Box, almost looks 4K.

It is my go to box when my wife does not have control of the TV, she prefers the Roku because it is so easy, she hates switching inputs, quite happy with all the apps.
I liked the Shield a lot. I also like my Apple TV 4k a lot. If. AppleTV+ was available on the Shield, it would be a no-brainer.

• Wow
Reactions: Zookster and ncted
Say goodbye to movie theaters.
for 2021 I agree, movie studios know there is no way for theaters to open nation(world)wide next year due to the virus.

What about all the other studios with movies ready to go, the new Bond, 3 Marvel movies ( Black Widow, Eternals and Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings), A Quiet Place 2 and more then I can remember, do they put them on streaming, Marvel can go on Disney+ but movies like Bond do not have a streaming home to go to, do they hold them all for another year to make the most money at the box Office, will there be any theaters left since they will not be taking in any cash for another year, lots of questions I do not have a answer for.

for 2021 I agree, movie studios know there is no way for theaters to open nation(world)wide next year due to the virus.

What about all the other studios with movies ready to go, the new Bond, 3 Marvel movies ( Black Widow, Eternals and Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings), A Quiet Place 2 and more then I can remember, do they put them on streaming, Marvel can go on Disney+ but movies like Bond do not have a streaming home to go to, do they hold them all for another year to make the most money at the box Office, will there be any theaters left since they will not be taking in any cash for another year, lots of questions I do not have a answer for.
Rumors that Apple and Netflix are bidding for No Time To Die.

Rumors that Apple and Netflix are bidding for No Time To Die.
that turned out to be kind of bogus, MGM approached them with a offer of $600 million, they both offered half that but said no thanks to what MGM wanted, no other bidding happened.

There is no way it will open up in April, maybe November if enough get the vaccine, but that has to be worldwide since MGM needs the overseas business, that is where they make the most $$$.

From the perspective of attracting and retaining new subscribers, I don't think HBO Max had much choice but to go this route of premiering same-day theatrical releases on the service. One of the big attractions of a premium cable service like HBO has always been the relatively recent theatrical releases it would premier about once per week. But with big name theatrical releases few and far between in 2020, what will they have to offer moving forward? They just premiered the Feb. 2020 release, Call of the Wild, to the service. A couple months ago another Feb. 2020 movie, The Invisible Man, premiered. What else do they have to fill the next 12 months with newer movies?

Reactions: NashGuy
From the perspective of attracting and retaining new subscribers, I don't think HBO Max had much choice but to go this route of premiering same-day theatrical releases on the service. One of the big attractions of a premium cable service like HBO has always been the relatively recent theatrical releases it would premier about once per week. But with big name theatrical releases few and far between in 2020, what will they have to offer moving forward? They just premiered the Feb. 2020 release, Call of the Wild, to the service. A couple months ago another Feb. 2020 movie, The Invisible Man, premiered. What else do they have to fill the next 12 months with newer movies?
Regular HBO ( Traditional Version- Cable/Sat. ) will still have the no new movie problem since all of these will only be on HBOMAX.

that turned out to be kind of bogus, MGM approached them with a offer of $600 million, they both offered half that but said no thanks to what MGM wanted, no other bidding happened.

There is no way it will open up in April, maybe November if enough get the vaccine, but that has to be worldwide since MGM needs the overseas business, that is where they make the most $$$.

By next November, there may only be a handful of theaters still operating.

• Sad
Reactions: navychop
AT&T really dropped the ball with HBOMax. If they would have rolled HBO, HBOGo and HBONow into HBOMax, they would have started out as a top tier (subscriber-wise) streaming service. Now they have to scramble to find ways to get subscribers. While I do agree that theaters will still have trouble opening up in 2021, this move will kill the business. I fully expect to be less than 1,000 screens left when everything fully opens up and the billion dollar blockbuster won't be seen again for another decade. Also, expect movie budgets to drop and new movies will have "tv like" special effects.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Do they have any say really? WB owns the content, they are still going to release in theaters.
They might if Warner Media wants to put their movies there. But to be honest, I don't think Warner Media cares about AMC. They'll put their movies in independent theaters and show to their shareholders that they were able to do a simultaneous release.

They might if Warner Media wants to put their movies there. But to be honest, I don't think Warner Media cares about AMC. They'll put their movies in independent theaters and show to their shareholders that they were able to do a simultaneous release.
AMC only has a beef if there is an exclusive window clause that is being violated.

Reactions: navychop
Do they have any say really? WB owns the content, they are still going to release in theaters.
Yeah, not sure, but I assume they have contracts in place that says how distribution is handled which likely don't include Warner doing a simultaneous release on HBOMax.

Yeah, not sure, but I assume they have contracts in place that says how distribution is handled which likely don't include Warner doing a simultaneous release on HBOMax.
The issue is if theaters remained closed these movies have to be released sometime. We are going to be dealing with a year delay on some releases.

Reactions: Howard Simmons

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)