HBO Now Deals?

The real question is: "When offered a true HDR signal, does it disable it's fake one to pass through the true signal or does it override it?"

If the answer is "Yes", I will keep it on as I like the effect on Menus etc. If the answer is "No" I will turn it off.
When you change Dynamic Range Settings from "Always HDR" to "Adaptive" (which you should do), it gives you HDR when the program is an HDR program and a non-HDR signal when the program isn't HDR. If you leave it on "Always HDR" the picture is going to be very far from accurate. Additionally, if you have a TV that has different HDR picture modes that are enabled when it receives an HDR signal, then it is going to look really bad when displaying a non-HDR picture in those modes. It makes no sense that this would be on by default.

Reactions: charlesrshell
When you change Dynamic Range Settings from "Always HDR" to "Adaptive" (which you should do), it gives you HDR when the program is an HDR program and a non-HDR signal when the program isn't HDR. If you leave it on "Always HDR" the picture is going to be very far from accurate. Additionally, if you have a TV that has different HDR picture modes that are enabled when it receives an HDR signal, then it is going to look really bad when displaying a non-HDR picture in those modes. It makes no sense that this would be on by default.
I have been going back and forth between the two, and "adaptive" gives me too much lightened areas in "black" areas. Almost an LED type wash. The TV I have is the LG 55EF9500 (the first flat OLED LG offered. Bought one month before the Hopper 3 was released) so it only has HDR 10. (and not a very good one at that. It turns red into shimmering orange). Trust me, I know about calibration and I have as true a setting as possible using the various set-up discs(memorized as ISF Expert #1). But I believe the old boy has aged and gotten dimmer so that a little "fake help" gives a more pleasing presentation with casual viewing. That is why my question is so important. If it does no harm when a true HDR10 signal is offered, I'd just as soon leave it on.

I have been going back and forth between the two, and "adaptive" gives me too much lightened areas in "black" areas. Almost an LED type wash. The TV I have is the LG 55EF9500 (the first flat OLED LG offered. Bought one month before the Hopper 3 was released) so it only has HDR 10. (and not a very good one at that. It turns red into shimmering orange). Trust me, I know about calibration and I have as true a setting as possible using the various set-up discs(memorized as ISF Expert #1). But I believe the old boy has aged and gotten dimmer so that a little "fake help" gives a more pleasing presentation with casual viewing. That is why my question is so important. If it does no harm when a true HDR10 signal is offered, I'd just as soon leave it on.
Whatever makes you happy. :) Just making sure others understand the issue with leaving it on.

Whatever makes you happy. :) Just making sure others understand the issue with leaving it on.
What would make really happy would be to get a new one that does not have the vignetting problem this model is cursed with and with the higher nits. The prices have come down a lot (a 65" is now less than I paid for the 55") but I would like to wait and see if HDR10+ gains greater acceptance (and LG signs on). I figure another year or so.

You mean an entire season of GoT is only SIX shows?!!!

That is Crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Those six episodes cost roughly $90 million to make, so $15 million per episode. For comparison, Stranger Things costs around $8 million per, and The Crown costs around $10 million each. Sense8, which got cancelled due to production costs, was $9 million each on average.

What would make really happy would be to get a new one that does not have the vignetting problem this model is cursed with and with the higher nits. The prices have come down a lot (a 65" is now less than I paid for the 55") but I would like to wait and see if HDR10+ gains greater acceptance (and LG signs on). I figure another year or so.

I have a 2016 LG OLED (B6, 55") and love it. I'm doubtful that HDR10+ is going to catch on. Only Samsung and Amazon seem to be supporting it. And with the Active HDR feature that newer LG and Sony TVs apply on a frame-by-frame basis to regular HDR10 material (effectively upgrading it to pseudo-HDR10+), I don't see those manufacturers supporting HDR10+. Dolby Vision will probably survive because of the Dolby brand, its backing by Apple, and the perception that Dolby Vision is the highest quality implementation of HDR.

You mean an entire season of GoT is only SIX shows?!!!

That is Crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
After the first 2 episodes, they are movie length.

got length.JPG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)