HBO or PlatinumHD?

TazmanianD

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
I currently have the platinum HD package but I've been considering dumping it in favor of the HBO package. I'm particularly interested in HD movies. With the platinum package, I basically get 3 channels of movies (HDNet Movies, MGM and UniversalHD) but HBO has 7 HD channels. It would be $5 more a month to switch and get 4 more channels but I'm wondering if there's any difference in those 7 channels or if they all just play the same stuff (which, with a DVR, sort of defeats the purpose).

I currently have the platinum HD package but I've been considering dumping it in favor of the HBO package. I'm particularly interested in HD movies. With the platinum package, I basically get 3 channels of movies (HDNet Movies, MGM and UniversalHD) but HBO has 7 HD channels. It would be $5 more a month to switch and get 4 more channels but I'm wondering if there's any difference in those 7 channels or if they all just play the same stuff (which, with a DVR, sort of defeats the purpose).

If you have a DVR then those 7 channels aren't that important. They play films from their library and swop them on each channel.

HBO def reserves certain content for certain channels. (i.e. some movies only ever air on certain HBO channels, however there is def an amount of rotation for other movies on more than one HBO channel). If you dislike commercial interruptions during movies, than you can rule out Universal HD. MGM is a bit disappointing to me personally, but I do find a movie now and then that I'm happy about. HDNet movies is one of my favorites, but I do see quite of few of their movies show up on HBO/Max/Sho/Starz.

If I HAD to pick btwn HBO and Platinum, I'd probably opt for HBO.

If you have a DVR then those 7 channels aren't that important. They play films from their library and swop them on each channel.
Thats true, But their Library is enormous. "This isn't Vooms Library we're talking about" Your not going to see 1 movie make an appearance on every channel in a 24 hour period. And sometimes something on HBO comedy may not be on regular HBO east for months, The more the Better. 7 different movies on at the same time?,or 1 channel,with hopes maybe this month you'll get to see the movie you want? I'll take the 7 HBOs

Thats true, But their Library is enormous. "This isn't Vooms Library we're talking about" Your not going to see 1 movie make an appearance on every channel in a 24 hour period. And sometimes something on HBO comedy may not be on regular HBO east for months, The more the Better. 7 different movies on at the same time?,or 1 channel,with hopes maybe this month you'll get to see the movie you want? I'll take the 7 HBOs

There you go again. Your really nothing more that a chatroom bully. How is my post related to Voom at all. He asked for an opinion and I gave mine. Nothing wrong with HBO but most if not all movies are repeated on their other channels.

Or dump em both, and rent blu rays, that way you arent limited to HBO's first runs deals which dont include many Production Cos.

However, Smithsonian seems like it might be a really nice channel. Is it like National Geographic Channel?

There you go again. Your really nothing more that a chatroom bully. How is my post related to Voom at all. He asked for an opinion and I gave mine. Nothing wrong with HBO but most if not all movies are repeated on their other channels.
Calm down,:) I was only trying to get a rise out of you.:eek: I didn't think you'd take it like that..

Why would you do that? I thought pq was much better on D*? Not a problem on my end. I am guessing because of the premiums.

Why would you do that? I thought pq was much better on D*? Not a problem on my end. I am guessing because of the premiums.
Mostly because Price ,Premiums and the PQ of the premiums,and equipment is flawless. I've had D* 5years and still have to fight for equipment. Enough was enough. I don't even have SD programming with them.HD PQ wise, D* has more HD channels that are better PQ , But E* has some better then D*, and HD PQ from E* is still better then cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts