HBO Upgrade - Cold call from Dish - Worthwhile?

SickPup404

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
Hey all,

I just got a cold call from a Dish Network marketer in Colorado. Said if I upgraded to HBO through them, I could get 9 HBO channels (I guess HBO E/W, HBO2 E/W, Family, Comedy, HD, Signature, & Latino) for $9/mo. She also said they are ALL in HD.

My question - do those of you who subscribe to HBO think it's worthwhile?

We already are paying $88.97/mo:
ADDL RECEIVER ACCESS FEE 5.00
AMERICA'S TOP 250 WITH LOCALS 57.99
DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 5.98
DISHHD 20.00

TIA

You will only get 1 HBO, SHO, CIN, etc. in HD, and I have the AEP so I get them all and if I had to pay for a movie channel, it would be Starz for the best variety and least repeats !!

My question - do those of you who subscribe to HBO think it's worthwhile?

We already are paying $88.97/mo:
AMERICA'S TOP 250 WITH LOCALS 57.99
DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 5.98
DISHHD 20.00

TIA
You can get a better deal from DISH by converting to the "DVR Advantage" package. Then your cost would be:

DVR Advantage Package - includes TOP 200 WITH LOCALS & DVR FEE 49.99
AMERICA"S TOP 250 10.00
DISHHD 20.00

which would be $84.95.

THEN any Premium Channels are $10 per month per Premium package. If you want HBO it's $10 per month, and you can add it any time.

Call 1-800-333-DISH and any rep can do that for you. They may require "Credit Card Autopay" or an 18-month commitment.

You can get a better deal from DISH by converting to the "DVR Advantage" package. Then your cost would be:

DVR Advantage Package - includes TOP 200 WITH LOCALS & DVR FEE 49.99
AMERICA"S TOP 250 10.00
DISHHD 20.00

which would be $84.95.

THEN any Premium Channels are $10 per month per Premium package. If you want HBO it's $10 per month, and you can add it any time.

Call 1-800-333-DISH and any rep can do that for you. They may require "Credit Card Autopay" or an 18-month commitment.

Sweet! Thanks for the tip!! (BTW: Does equipment matter? We've got a 508 and 622.)

You will only get 1 HBO, SHO, CIN, etc. in HD, and I have the AEP so I get them all and if I had to pay for a movie channel, it would be Starz for the best variety and least repeats !!

Anyone else want to weigh-in on what premuim packge would be best? Please! I think I'm going to take KStuart's suggestion and change to the DVR Advantage package and bump up to AT250 so we are back to our current channel lineup $4 saved there means a premium package for $6...

Premium Packages:
- HBO
- Showtime
- Cinemax
- Starz
- Playboy

HBO and Showtime are known for original series (HBO for Sopranos, Deadwood, 6 Feet Under, Rome) (Showtime for Tudors, Weeds, Penn&Teller) and have some movies
Cinemax is known for classic films (Back to the Future,Die Hard series) and Adult soft core films
Starz is known for recent films
Playboy is the one soft core adult channel

It's good to look in your Guide and see what the channels are showing in the next week, that will give you a better idea.

IMO, HBO has gone downhill with all these original series. Of course if you like original series HBO is the way to go but the movies are just old in HBO. I like Starz better.

IMO, HBO has gone downhill with all these original series. Of course if you like original series HBO is the way to go but the movies are just old in HBO. I like Starz better.

I agree. The movie selection gets worse every month. I don't think the series are all that great anymore.

I have gotten a call to add HBO a couple of times in the past. The price always turns out to be the same as if I just added HBO through the Dish Network website or a call to a CSR. I haven't been offered a special intro price or a lower price at all. Seems to be what you were offered too. I don't see a benefit. Just add the channels at your convenience. :)

HBO and Shotime air boxing, boxing on a movie channel!! Rediculous! If you are a movie fan and want only movies, STARZ is your choice. Cinemax is also good, but movies are not very current.

Sorry if I offended any boxing fans, but in my opinion boxing belongs on a sports channel.

HBO and Shotime air boxing, boxing on a movie channel!! Rediculous! If you are a movie fan and want only movies, STARZ is your choice. Cinemax is also good, but movies are not very current.

Sorry if I offended any boxing fans, but in my opinion boxing belongs on a sports channel.

..... and ESPN has messed around with showing movies, both their own and old sports movies. These belong on a Movie channel not on ESPN. The lines are blured.

I got a similar call a few days ago offering Cinemax for $7/month, though I think that rate was only valid for 6 months. The reason I "qualified" for this is that I have a DVR and HBO. I'm not interested, but since I already have HBO and SHO I figure if I wanted more movie channels I could move back to AEP for just a little more.

CDH.

Thanks all for the input! I was already familiar with the term "Skinemax" and knew what that must come from. Not a bad choice, but I think I'm leaning 75% towards Starz, 20% Starz and Cinemax, and 5% just keep what I've got...

Thx again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts