HD-A2 flicker (with all firmwares)

GweeDo767

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Apr 9, 2004
Plainville, KS
I have two HD-A2's and have used firmwares 1.3, 2.5 and now 2.7 and with my 32" Toshiba LCD I get flickering to static every 10-15 seconds when using HDMI on upconverted DVD's for the first 1-2 minutes of the movie. After that, they are fine. Anyone else experience this?

I have the same HDMI flicker on my Westy W32W6 LCD. That's HDMI not my A2. I have an early A2 built in Japan currently running v 2.7.

You will see if you change resolution in the set-up as well. That's just a fun HDMI handshake. I bet your set is the culprit. BTW, it's more a flash than a flicker, I see a magenta, then a black, then a green screen in rapid succession for like 2 seconds before the handshake is locked. The player needs to verify HDCP and that the display can handle the resolution. HDMI is a buggy mess. However, we're stuck with it.

I have the same problem with my Toshiba LCD as well. Try changing the resolution setting, that usually works for me.

A little more information on this problem:
1) It only seems to happen on DVD's. There is no issue with HD-DVD's that I have tested
2) I got my hands on an older player running the 1.3 firmware and had no issues at all either, so it only seems to become an issue with the newer firmwares (atleast 2.5 and above that I am aware of)

Do you guys still think it is a issue with my LCD or a software issue with the A2?

A little more information on this problem:
1) It only seems to happen on DVD's. There is no issue with HD-DVD's that I have tested
2) I got my hands on an older player running the 1.3 firmware and had no issues at all either, so it only seems to become an issue with the newer firmwares (atleast 2.5 and above that I am aware of)

Do you guys still think it is a issue with my LCD or a software issue with the A2?

What are your settings for SD DVD playback? On my 768p/A2 setup, I use 720p, video for DVD movies, 1080i, video for pr0n, operas and concert HD-DVD's and 1080i, film for HD-DVD movies.

I have everything set to output at 720p.

It reads like there's a handshake issue going on with your HDMI. It's only the first one to two minutes? Do you mean when the disc starts after loading and goes to the menu or after you select play? I hope you're outputting to 720p, video, BTW for your SD DVD's.

Try switching to 1080i. See if it works better.

Okay, did some more testing. The issue occurs on both 720p and 1080i settings. Also, I was watching Evan Almighty last night on HD-DVD and it did it then as well (that is the first time I have seen it occur on an HD-DVD). Do you guys think it is that my TV doesn't implement the HDMI handshake correctly? I am going to be calling Toshiba this afternoon (since it is their player and TV after all!)

Okay, did some more testing. The issue occurs on both 720p and 1080i settings. Also, I was watching Evan Almighty last night on HD-DVD and it did it then as well (that is the first time I have seen it occur on an HD-DVD). Do you guys think it is that my TV doesn't implement the HDMI handshake correctly? I am going to be calling Toshiba this afternoon (since it is their player and TV after all!)

I will save you a phone call and ask you to try a different HDMI cable. That's the first thing they will tell you.

Good luck!

I already tried a different HDMI cable :)
I did call them however and we seem to have located the issue. They said it was an issue with which device is asking for the HDMI/HDCP handshake. If I turn the HD-DVD player on, wait for it to boot, then turn the TV on...all is well. If I have the TV on before the HD-DVD player gets started up we have the issue. If I do have the blinking I just turn the TV off, turn it back on and all is well. Seems that the TV has to be the one to request the handshake for all to be well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)