HD-A2 FW 2.5 update - Why do I need it ??

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
I haven't hooked up my unit yet - still waiting on the MonoPrice HDMI cable. Once I do, will I have to update the FW to 2.5? What's the consequence of not doing an update? In the case of the A2, the update seems to add more languages and enhanced HS internet capability, which per below won't help me any, and fix some possible HDMI issues. If the unit works for me out of the box (meaning I think that in my case the HDMI connection is working properly) is there anything else I'll be missing?

I only have dial-up at home (for the same reason I have sat. TV vs. cable - very rural residence!) and no simple way to update otherwise.

I saw this link for the FW update information in another thread: (Tks for that, whoever posted it. I can't recall a name to give credit where due.)

Firmware Update Information for Owners of Toshiba HD DVD Players: Models HD-XA2, HD-A20, HD-A2, HD-A2W, and HD-D2

I guess I could burn a CD-RW at work and do it that way using the link provided in the link above, or order a CD from Toshiba. But what will that gain me?

Any insight for this novice is appreciated...!

The update will also address playability issues. Many of the newer discs require the update be done. Better safe than sorry.

S~

The update will also address playability issues. Many of the newer discs require the update be done. Better safe than sorry.

S~

Agreed. If nothing else, just send the card to Toshiba and have them send you the discs for the updates. Better that than buying a new release and finding out your player has issues with it.

OK - I D/L'd the 2.5 update and burned it to a CD-R here at work where I have HS internet. I'll try the unit first without the update (assuming I can get a picture to display), then update it with the CD and instructions Toshiba provided on their site. Hoping the MonoPrice package arrived today! Tks for the replies...!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)