HD A2 is pretty sensitive...

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
to dust, that is. I notice that if the disc has any marks on it, smudges, lint, hair, etc... the thing locks up on load.

Just put in Bourne Ultimatum, and it locked. had to pull the power; then turn it on, open the drive, clean the disc, and then it was fine. The funny thing, the disc looked almost perfect.

Anyone else notice this hyper-sensitivity?

no problems with my 2 A2's. I get some pretty beat up discs from Netflix and have not had any loading nor playing problems.

I've only had one disc (rented from Blockbuster) that had a hiccup. For a few seconds it pixelated and lost sound. But then recovered. That disc looked pristine - like it had never been used. Other discs have been all scratched up and had fingerprints on them and played like a charm. If I see a rental disc that is obviously grossly fingerprinted or smudged I wash it off before playing, but I don't worry about the minor looking stuff and just play it as-is.

My A2 and A20 became even more sensitive after the 2.7 update. I'm hoping the 2.8 update fixed some of its flakiness.

HD DVD players never liked smudges. They can handle scratches somewhat okay. However, they tend to go apesh*t over smudges.

I never had combo issues until 2.7. I had to wash discs with soap and water to play them first. :mad:

My A2 has been rock solid. I have only watched it maybe 10 times, all but one were HD disks, but with no problems whatsoever. I ISO-burned v2.5 FW to a CD-R but never installed it so the unit is still running on whatever FW it had out of the box. (I don't use it on-line, no HS internet.) So as long as it works well, I'll leave it alone...!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)