HD-A2problem

MW390

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
I sold a still under warranty HD-A2 to someone thru ebay. He says the disc freezes and he can't power it down. He has to unplug it. I never stated I'd take it back in the listing. I tried posting on AVS so maybe someone who's had this problem who can help me help the guy and all they tell me is it'smy responsibility and what if someone sold me a DOA player. Do I look like Best Buy? I offered the guy the 800 number and $10 to ship it to a Toshiba service center. Please don't moralize with me, I can go to AVS.....Just give me suggestions and if you can't then please stay silent. I don't sell junk. Every piece of electronic equipment I've sold looks as good as new. I've even sold an HD-A1 and had no problems. I used the original pkg, double boxed it and
sent the BestBuy receipt.

You have already done more than I would honestly. He has the receipt, he can get it fixed under warranty. If you sold it as is and in good faith it was working, that is the risk ebayers take at times. He has everything he needs to take care of his problem.

As for the problem, it's definately sounds like a warranty repair or exchange.

You have already done more than I would honestly. He has the receipt, he can get it fixed under warranty. If you sold it as is and in good faith it was working, that is the risk ebayers take at times. He has everything he needs to take care of his problem.

As for the problem, it's definately sounds like a warranty repair or exchange.

Thank you.....a level headed answer.....

You never said in your first post if the unit was in working order for you before you sold it. Nor did you say if your eBay ad mentioned anything about "May not be in working order". You skirted the issue by saying things like "Do I look like Best Buy?"

If you were honest in the ad and dealt with the guy fairly, then fine. What you've done so far is not wrong. I have no other suggestions other than the obvious - try the A2 with different discs. Try it with HDDVD discs and with standard DVDs. Don't even put a disc in the A2 and see if he can access the players menus. He should take the results of these tests and do some Google searching or call Toshiba for advice. If you want to help the buyer with this, that would be great, but not required.

If you knowingly sold him a defective player, then no amount of "Do I look like Best Buy?" and "Please don't moralize with me" proclamations will magically turn you into a decent person. That battle would have already been lost. I do not buy or sell things on eBay myself. I wouldn't even consider it, given problems like the above that can occur. This sell has turned into a problem both for you, and the buyer. Personally, I would feel obligated to take back something I sold to somebody as a working item that turned out otherwise. Even if it worked for me when I sold it. That's not saying everyone feels this way, only that I do. The buyer could be trying to scam you, or you could be trying to scam the buyer, or it could be an honestly discovered problem with the player. You take these chances when you buy/sell on eBay or otherwise on the used market. I think the normal expectation is that a used item will work fine when you initially try it, with no guarrantee after that. Unless clearly stated otherwise in the ad.

I don't know what to tell you. Due to potential problems like these, I only sell on Craig's list and only when the buyer tries it out before taking it home. You've confirmed my belief that I should never bu on eBay and go to Best Buy instead.

You never said in your first post if the unit was in working order for you before you sold it. Nor did you say if your eBay ad mentioned anything about "May not be in working order". You skirted the issue by saying things like "Do I look like Best Buy?"

If you were honest in the ad and dealt with the guy fairly, then fine. What you've done so far is not wrong. I have no other suggestions other than the obvious - try the A2 with different discs. Try it with HDDVD discs and with standard DVDs. Don't even put a disc in the A2 and see if he can access the players menus. He should take the results of these tests and do some Google searching or call Toshiba for advice. If you want to help the buyer with this, that would be great, but not required.

If you knowingly sold him a defective player, then no amount of "Do I look like Best Buy?" and "Please don't moralize with me" proclamations will magically turn you into a decent person. That battle would have already been lost. I do not buy or sell things on eBay myself. I wouldn't even consider it, given problems like the above that can occur. This sell has turned into a problem both for you, and the buyer. Personally, I would feel obligated to take back something I sold to somebody as a working item that turned out otherwise. Even if it worked for me when I sold it. That's not saying everyone feels this way, only that I do. The buyer could be trying to scam you, or you could be trying to scam the buyer, or it could be an honestly discovered problem with the player. You take these chances when you buy/sell on eBay or otherwise on the used market. I think the normal expectation is that a used item will work fine when you initially try it, with no guarrantee after that. Unless clearly stated otherwise in the ad.

WHY would I sell a non-working player and then ask for help when the buyer said it didnt work?. I DO NOT sell non working items. I think the clowns from UPS gave it a real workout. And my listing clearly states the player was still under warranty. He got the original receipt and I insured it. And if I knowingly sold defective stuff I wouldn't have a 100 percent feedback. I was NOT looking for an "out". I was looking for technical help. On the AVS forum all they could say was take it back or what would I do if I received a defect? Well if it WAS Bestbuy I could bring it back; they're a huge store. If it was ebay and guy says he'll take it back I'll send it back unless it's still under warranty. That was my whole thing on the saleand was clearly stated. It's 6 months old,under warranty, looks good as new, ysou get the original receipt and it was DOUBLE boxed. Thanks for your input tho.

WHY would I sell a non-working player and then ask for help when the buyer said it didnt work?
I can't answer that. I wouldn't do something like that and I doubt that you would either.

I don't know if you realize how defensive you sound. Even in your first post where you started this thread, before anybody replied to you. After raising a couple of kids and surviving through their teenage years, I've come to understand that excessive defensiveness usually indicates deception 99% of the time. I'm certainly not accusing you of that, just pointing it out to you in case you didn't realize how you may appear to others. And when you consistently say things like "looks good as new" (emphasis on "looks" as opposed to "works") it can make people start reading between the lines trying to figure out what you're really saying.

Enough said. I'm sure you're an honest guy. However, the tone of your posts might sometimes cloud that issue for you.

He says the disc freezes and he can't power it down. He has to unplug it.
Does it happen with all disks or just with a particular one?

I've seen a similar problem on my HD-A1 player with a couple of disks rented from Netflix. Usually it's an indication of a scratched disk. The image stutters and then the player locks up and stops responding to any buttons, even the power button in some cases. Actually it does respond eventually, but it may take a very long time: minutes sometimes!

Ask the buyer to try another disk and to make sure to clean it with damp cloth before doing any repairs to the player. HD DVDs are much more sensitive to scratching (or even fingerprints) than normal DVDs.

I can't exclude the player problem, but most likely it's the disk.

Have him start with a firmware upgrade if it's not current. 2.7 is the current version. That's always a good starting point.

Selling on Ebay is always tricky for both buyer & seller. Listing detail (or lack thereof), Feedback, and insurance is really important. Ebay user for 7 yrs.

Did you send it insured? (if so contact the delivery service co., worth a try)

Follow up and see how willing the buyer is to cooperate, communicate and try several attempts to rectify the problem that was mentioned.
Good luck.

Many good suggestions here... I would agree that it's the risk he took buying on ebay, although I would also be frustrated were I in his shoes.

However, there are a ton of avenues available to him - the first of which is to troubleshoot. It could be the disc he's using, something in the settings, the firmware, his cables, you just never know, but he needs to try all of those before claiming the player is bad. Switch from component to HDMI or vice versa. Change the input on the TV. Try other discs or make sure the player works without a disc, as others have mentioned...

If he's done all of that and it still doesn't work, it's up to you as a seller and how you want to handle it. Did you ask him if the box looked like it was beat up when he got it? That might give some indication that it was a shipping problem and maybe the insurance would cover it. Beyond that, it's going to come down to how important your feedback rating is to you, because you know he'll go to the trouble to toast you for it...

There are so many things that can cause problems with those players, though, that it could just be his ignorance - until you try all of the options to narrow down the problem, you just don't know...

In something like this, I always look at it as if I was in his shoes. What is fair? Was anything misrepresented? To me it looks like nothing was misrepresented. Sometimes jarring in shipping will shake something loose. He has all of the tools to get it resolved by the factory.

Selling on Ebay is always tricky for both buyer & seller. Listing detail (or lack thereof), Feedback, and insurance is really important. Ebay user for 7 yrs.

Did you send it insured? (if so contact the delivery service co., worth a try)

Follow up and see how willing the buyer is to cooperate, communicate and try several attempts to rectify the problem that was mentioned.
Good luck.

The guy is VERY COOPERATIVE. He called Toshiba, they said send it in, they'll fix it for nothing since it's still under warranty, and they'll turn it around within a week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts