HD Absolute customers

I'll ask again: Would Netflix streaming look bad on a 106" diagonal screen, with a 720p projector? Is anyone doing this with a screen this size? Thanks.

Hey Jim, I am projecting onto a 92" screen from my 720p PJ and the HD TV shows and HD Movies look pretty good. When the show is buffering at the beginning, there is a set of quality dots that show up on your screen. 4 dots means best quality, 3 dots mean probably best to watch on a smaller screen than your PJ screen and 2dots was unwatchable for me even on my 32" trinitron.

Last edited:
HDNet Movies is commercial-free during the movie and some evenings regular HDNet shows commercial-free movies. MGM currently has one brief 'break' in the midst of their movies, to show a preview of another movie they'll be airing. The 'break' isn't a sponsored/paid commercial per-se, although they do have commercials between movies. I wrote them asking them to stop doing this 'break'. Guess it will take many complaints from folks for them to reconsider it. That being said, the MGM 'break' is generally around 90 seconds to 2 minutes and is tolerable to me.

I too, do Netflix via Roku, and while the image quality is ok for HD titles on my 46" Sonys on a 7mbs connection, I guess it's a fair deal for $9 a month. Then again, I also have all four movie Premiums, and DVR a lot of movies on E*, and I don't spend that much time using Netflix since it isnt integrated with E*. (Even with a Harmony, too much switching btwn activities/set ups). I often like to skip back 10 seconds to make sure I heard something correctly, and it's not a lotta fun via the Netflix stream.

Also, while I certainly have the ability to skip forward/back with my E* DVR, some of us prefer not to navigate around commercials during a movie. It's kinda annoying to constantly be told by some on this site that disliking commercials is now 'solved' with the invention of the DVR and a skip button. For me, the only way for commercials to be 'solved' is to not have them. I guess that's one reason I spend so much of my time camped out on the Premium channels.

That's my 2c.

HDNet Movies is commercial-free during the movie and some evenings regular HDNet shows commercial-free movies. MGM currently has one brief 'break' in the midst of their movies, to show a preview of another movie they'll be airing. The 'break' isn't a sponsored/paid commercial per-se, although they do have commercials between movies. I wrote them asking them to stop doing this 'break'. Guess it will take many complaints from folks for them to reconsider it. That being said, the MGM 'break' is generally around 90 seconds to 2 minutes and is tolerable to me.

I too, do Netflix via Roku, and while the image quality is ok for HD titles on my 46" Sonys on a 7mbs connection, I guess it's a fair deal for $9 a month. Then again, I also have all four movie Premiums, and DVR a lot of movies on E*, and I don't spend that much time using Netflix since it isnt integrated with E*. (Even with a Harmony, too much switching btwn activities/set ups). I often like to skip back 10 seconds to make sure I heard something correctly, and it's not a lotta fun via the Netflix stream.

Also, while I certainly have the ability to skip forward/back with my E* DVR, some of us prefer not to navigate around commercials during a movie. It's kinda annoying to constantly be told by some on this site that disliking commercials is now 'solved' with the invention of the DVR and a skip button. For me, the only way for commercials to be 'solved' is to not have them. I guess that's one reason I spend so much of my time camped out on the Premium channels.

That's my 2c.

:up

That's what commercial-free means to me.

Who or how many people 'constantly' tell you that?
I didn't mean only me personally. In this very thread there are intimations that DVRs are the answer to disliking commercials. Also, I've been a user of this site for nearly three years, and I've had to have seen the "that's what DVRs are for" response to commercials at least 50 times (probably way, way more). However, I'm not going to track these down :) I understand that DVRs solve some folks dislike of commercials quite satisfactorily, I just don't happen to be one of them.

It's sorta like when someone posts about signal strength problems - some folks will reply to check their dish alignment/connections, etc, but some folks will reply to install three separate dishes if you don't like your signal strength. Some folks don't have the funds, expertise or desire to have three dishes at their residence, yet they get a rather curt 'do this' reply.

My point is that some folks on this site simply can't comprehend that THEIR solution wouldn't be everyone's solution. I appreciate the folks who take the time to outline a few possible options for the OPs (and there are many, many who do this).

I didn't mean only me personally. In this very thread there are intimations that DVRs are the answer to disliking commercials. Also, I've been a user of this site for nearly three years, and I've had to have seen the "that's what DVRs are for" response to commercials at least 50 times (probably way, way more). However, I'm not going to track these down :) I understand that DVRs solve some folks dislike of commercials quite satisfactorily, I just don't happen to be one of them.

It's sorta like when someone posts about signal strength problems - some folks will reply to check their dish alignment/connections, etc, but some folks will reply to install three separate dishes if you don't like your signal strength. Some folks don't have the funds, expertise or desire to have three dishes at their residence, yet they get a rather curt 'do this' reply.

My point is that some folks on this site simply can't comprehend that THEIR solution wouldn't be everyone's solution. I appreciate the folks who take the time to outline a few possible options for the OPs (and there are many, many who do this).
Thanks for elaborating. I didn't think it really was a 'constant' annoyance.

I agree that the solution someone has in mind isn't the solution for everyone in many cases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts