HD and DVR Hookup with Single Line Outles. Please Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

reaper75

Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Colorado
HD and DVR Hookup with Single Line Outlets. Please Help

Hello to anyone with any helpful advice. Directv is going to attempt an install tomorrow on a relocation of equipment (moved). The new house only has single line hookups and I need to install 3 receivers. One problem troublesome HOA. They have approved deck/porch wall mount on SE side of residence, but only one wire punch (or two simultaneously in this case ((HD/DVR)) through wall. I can get to bundle of coax in adjacent garage area as whole house is wired. I only need two HD/DVR hookups on main level and downstairs is Standard Converter. My models are HR-24-200 (HD/DVR) and Model R15 (standard DVR). As for third, it is a standard converter and probably needs no discussion. The other problem is my condo complex is 6 units with NID (Xfinity fiber optic in) on my end of condo plot. Is there a way I can split these signals from interior/garage bundle of coax and/or amplify if need be with single line outlets to get HD/DVR and DVR functioning properly without the whole house pkg. which they want way too much money for and I don't desire or need it anyway. Not to mention, HOA only allows one entry point, and changing approvals for install location is a two month process. Pls Help if possible. I'll lose it if I can't have my Directv and have to cancel. Thanks for any and all advice :) The weird thing is, the Xfinity DVR works in either upstairs outlet and allows watching one show while recording another with only single coax in. (Doesn't even have 2 coax inputs on Xfinity DVR) Haven't had cable since the early millenia and wanna' dump it now. Thanks again for any assistance.

Last edited:
:welcome to Satelliteguys!

You need a swm type lnb. It allows one cable to each dvr and still be able to record two shows at once.

SWM8 standalone could be made to work hr24 on the swm side r15 on one of the legacy ports but with only one line to the r15 and set to single tuner would limit its functionality but the hr24 would be good to go

So, I've been looking around and yeah I see it works with R16 and up. What should I do here? Any advice? I made the mistake of sending back a standard converter to lower bill (a few weeks ago, and getting divorce) Now they want to charge me 69.00 plus lease fees to get the standard back, as it's an upgrade and puts me in another 12mth contract. (Only had 5mths left on 2yr contract, bummer). So how do I get an r-16 Model that will work? Any suggestions? I have the service plan. Should the R15 become accidentally damaged?

Last edited:
So, I've been looking around and yeah I see it works with R16 and up. What should I do here? Any advice? I made the mistake of sending back a standard converter to lower bill (a few weeks ago, and getting divorce) Now they want to charge me 69.00 plus lease fees to get the standard back, as it's an upgrade and puts me in another 12mth contract. (Only had 5mths left on 2yr contract, bummer). So how do I get an r-16 Model that will work? Any suggestions? I have the service plan. Should the R15 become accidentally damaged?

That might work, but Directv doesn't guarantee what model you will get as a replacement.

That might work, but Directv doesn't guarantee what model you will get as a replacement.

if you told them you got a SWM setup wouldnt they have to ship you a R16?

I know of folks who have called because the HR20 wont do 3D and they got a replacement unit for 3D

Good point Ice, my brain wasn't working when I made that post!

You could possibly do that but it would depend on the tech that come out. The best way do it is upgrade to whole home.Mosttime they will upgrade incompatiable equipment.

Thanks to all of you for your helpful and informative input :) It was all greatly appreciated and very useful. Props to Ice too. So here's how it went down. After much research thanks to all of your tips, I figured the real price and effort of purchasing and installing a swim system. When the tech came out, I gave him the lowdown and explained the situation and my knowledge of the true costs and labor. (Directv wanted $400 for a swim system install btw.) The tech was very cool after realizing I had educated myself in this matter and laughed. Said "that's ridiculous". He authorized with his supervisor to install the system for free and also upgraded my R15 to an R16 for free too. He told Directv that my R15 was on the fritz and needed to replace it with an R16 unit (Thanks Ice). He also offered to install the direct cinema pkg for free too, so I could use the "on demand" features through router. Unfortunately, he couldn't because I chose to keep the Xfinity internet due to $6 cheaper price and 20Mbps/sec speed. Any other ISP and he would have done it for free. (Directv wanted $200 for that alone) He also informed me that this option would've only enabled my HR DVR model for on demand through wireless. Oh well, didn't really need it anyway. So it all went down as a standard install (move) and lots of freebies/perks. Thanks again, all of you rock! (I did make him sign ((amend the work order)) that all was free and authorized by Directv and his supervisor with his signature and made copies for my own protection.) I can't thank all of you enough. I was fully prepared to do it myself too. Things worked out real well and my sincere thanks is due. I have found the full equipment pkgs on ebay from reputable sellers btw for $40-$50. If anyone is in CO and needs this setup fast I have found a guy that has full pkgs on sale for $60 to do it yourself, assuming you have a dish of course. (Not advertising here, trust me. With the exception of bragging all of you up!) Thanks for not letting Directv rip me off and the solid education to all who contributed. Bump to all of you! Thanks again. I will direct all Satellite questions here from myself and recommend to anyone I know. Have a great one all and keep rockin' that dish of whatever variety!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)