HD Bitrates on SC

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
I have been looking at SD Bitrates for their HD Movie Channel over the past few days and trying to make sense of things.

Quite frankly, the numbers are all over the road. I've seen from the mid 7s up to the mid 12s - Lord of War and 40 Year Old Virgin come to mind at the high side of things and it clearly shows.

A head scratcher is that BEV reencodes to a constant 11.64Mbps bitrate which is actually higher than virtually every movie they show, except for the 2 mentioned above - so why the re-encode to 720p at that bitrate is somewhat of a mystery.

While I it looks better than BEV in a 1920x1080i format vs. BEV re-encoding to 720p (you can clearly see a small layer of "fog" lifted", I am somewhat puzzled.

The real eye opener was that the bitrates were dramatically different (more than 1.0Mbps) on the same title at different times of the day.

Isn't SC at the same uplink as Cancom? Shouldn't their bitrate of the Movie Channels be what the cable companies are getting as well?

And does anyone know what transponders sizes are on the F1 and F2, as well as how much they are loading the HD transponders down? It doesn't appear lyngsat lists what is on each transponder for SC.

Satellite Expert said:
F2 transponder assignments:
www.lyngsat.com/packages/starchoicef2.html

All Anik F series satellites have 27 mghz transponders

Thank you...lyngsat continues to confuse the crap out me, lol....using the f2 designation for packages in the above url where it uses the satellite locations (ie. 110) for dish packages.

I think I know the answer to this I'll probably be wrong given my track record this week, the transponders for BEV or DISH core birds, for example, 82/110/119, aren't those 45?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts