Those Damn Screws (1 Viewer)

Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 23, 2005
I have 2 DSR-400 series SC STBs.

One works fine. The other has issues....what should I expect from epay, lol.

All the lights come on when plugged in - and it seems locked up with no output - but like a Xmas tree with the the lights on.

At other times no lights come in.

I can see the battery cockyeye in it thorugh the top grill. The battery in the other unit appears flat while this seems at a 90 degree angle.

I am thinking the battery might be loose causing this issue - but remember something about bad batteries on the DSR-922 4DTV series.

Would this cause the syntopms I am seeing.

And just to check, how do I get these d*!$ wierd a$* screws out of this thing? I've tried pliers, vicegrips, wrenches and even wire cutters. I cannot get leverage on any of them.

Suggestions?

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 23, 2005
keenan said:
Don't the Moto boxes use a security bolt similar to something on the following link?

http://www.hudsonfasteners.com/security.htm?OVRAW=security bits&OVKEY=security bit&OVMTC=standard
Security Screws

or here,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F7DWMQ/ref=nosim/104-2832417-7712711?n=228013
Amazon.com: 100 piece Tamper Proof/Security Screwdriver Bits: Tools & Hardware

I guess the difference is I actually own the satellite stb, but whatever.

No, the design isn't on that Hudson tool page :(

keenan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 3, 2004
Santa Rosa CA
There has to be something out there, I just Googled for security bits and I think that was the first two that came up but there were pages of sites.

keenan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 3, 2004
Santa Rosa CA
I don't know, the only box I can compare to is the Moto 6412 cableTV box and it uses security bolts/screws but the bits are easily purchased. I doubt Motorola would change the type of fastener used depending on whether it was a lease or purchase item, it's all the same to them.

(give me a couple of weeks/mos and I'll let you know.. :p )

CJPC

Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 27, 2004
I posted this somewhere, easiest way, get some clear plastic bic pens (the older ones, with the clear outside)

Take pen apart, melt the end of the clear plastic (with a lighter), then push onto the screw, give it time to set up, then turn, should unscrew without issue.

You might need to make a few, but its cheap, and does work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts