Question for those of you with multiple dishes and HOAs

AMike

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Metro Atlanta
I have been kicking around the idea of getting a CDN dish for almost a year now. I am currently a subscriber of D* and would like to keep that. I live in an area with an HOA that has restrictions on satellite dishes. Basically, they will likely frown upon 2 satellite dishes on my roof although they are clearly hidden from the street.

I want to know if any of you with either D* or E* and adding a CDN dish if you had issues with an HOA. If you did, how were you able to work that out with them.

Thanks in advance for your input.

technically (and legally) FCC OTARD says you can put up as many dishes as you need to get said service (s)

FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

Q: Can a restriction limit the number of antennas that may be installed at a particular location?

The Commission’s rule covers the antennas necessary to receive service. Therefore, a local rule may not, for example, allow only one antenna if more than one antenna is necessary to receive the desired service.

I am the president of our HOA but this was after I installed the dish farm. As long as its your exclusive area and the dishes are within the "protected" size (under 1 meter) you can put as many up as you want. I had 5 at one time (dont ask......I am a nut) but now have 3 up (Directv and 2 free to air)
Actually I think the 5 were Dishx2 (110/119 & 148), Free to air x2, and Bell (82/91). For a while Bell was down and Shaw Direct was up instead.

What kind of restrictions does the HOA have out of curiosity?

My HOA had size restrictions on dishes. They were using an antiquated document that stated dishes could be no more than 20". I went to the HOA president to have this changed to accommodate the larger D* dish that I already have for HD (I believe it is 38"). They also ban outdoor antennas. But there is no mention about multiple dishes.

If I do decide to go the CDN route, it would likely be with Shaw since they have HD availability in my area. Because of my location (Atlanta) and my desire to get HD, I would likely have to go with the 75cm dish.

Thanks for your help.

My HOA had size restrictions on dishes. They were using an antiquated document that stated dishes could be no more than 20". I went to the HOA president to have this changed to accommodate the larger D* dish that I already have for HD (I believe it is 38"). They also ban outdoor antennas. But there is no mention about multiple dishes.

If I do decide to go the CDN route, it would likely be with Shaw since they have HD availability in my area. Because of my location (Atlanta) and my desire to get HD, I would likely have to go with the 75cm dish.

Thanks for your help.

Legally they cant ban OTA antennas. As long as it isnt no more than 12 feet above the roofline its covered under OTARD (just a FYI...)

But yeah the 75e you'll want. Its 37x27 inches

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts