HD channels for DirecTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dfacc

Original poster
Dec 23, 2003
hello- newbie here...

Just wanted to see if anyone knew if DirecTV is planning on adding more HD channels in 2004...?

thx
Dave

They will most likely add some when they get their new satellite up in February or March.
I'm hearing they might even add some before then.

Murdoch's team claims that they will double or triple the HD channles in 2004, but logistics may hinder this. With adding 70 new markets to the local scheme, there will be no room for even one more HD channel! LOL.

It may be announced yet, but DirecTV is building a new uplink in Long Island, NY with this new uplink center they will be able to add a lot more via the spot beams they already have.

Also I hear that in a few days DirecTV will announce the addition of a BUNCH of new International channels. Their selection of internationals is going to blow Charlie out of the water.

This is the reply i got from DirecTV

Dear Dave,

Thanks for asking about High Definition Television (HDTV). I can
reassure you that our current HDTV services are just the beginning - we
aren't stopping here! We have a track record of continuing to expand
the selection of channels we offer, and our HDTV lineup won't be any
different. We continue to explore adding new channels as compelling
content becomes available.

We are committed to remaining the leader in HDTV programming and we're
in constant discussions with various program providers to increase the
number of high definition programs we offer. Keep checking
DIRECTV.com/HDTV for the latest news and announcement as they become
available.

Thank you again for your message.

Didnt really answer my question....oh well.

"We continue to explore adding new channels as compelling
content becomes available"

This is close to what Charlie said.

I suppose neither of these services feel starz HD, Cinemax HD, INHD1&2 are compelling enough to offer. Of course D* says they will explore the offering when they determine the channel is compelling, while Charlie says they will offer it when it is compelling.

Eitherway, both these guys aren't giving us a compelling reason to trust either one.

"Compelling" is the latest buzzword being bandied about now. What ever happend to "Cool"?

Rumor has it D* has at least starz-hd up and testing, available only to "testers" (aka pirates).. Anyone confirm this??

Don Landis said:
"We continue to explore adding new channels as compelling
content becomes available"

This is close to what Charlie said.

I suppose neither of these services feel starz HD, Cinemax HD, INHD1&2 are compelling enough to offer. Of course D* says they will explore the offering when they determine the channel is compelling, while Charlie says they will offer it when it is compelling.

Eitherway, both these guys aren't giving us a compelling reason to trust either one.

"Compelling" is the latest buzzword being bandied about now. What ever happend to "Cool"?

We all know that both D* and E* have bandwidth issues right now and finding "compelling" HD is simply the PR they're using right now. Once they're technically able to add HD, I'm sure they both will. HD is just one part of a complex juggling act both sat companies are dealing.

Even if StarzHD is in D* near future (like the rumors say, end of year? before 7s is launched?) they're not ready to announce it "today" so standard PR is all we're gonna get.

Personally, I like the fact that D* is pretty strict on their announcements (that was one reason I switched from E* to D*). After dealing with E* for the past year and the constant rumors and Vapor-Tech, I'm glad to only hear about things that are "really" coming soon.

Slicer- You seem to have a conflict then. You hang out in these rumor mills called forums yet you say you prefer to not be told what is happening until it has happened. (DirecTV's policy).

dfacc said:
We are committed to remaining the leader in HDTV programming

I thought Voom had more content and channels?

Everyone seems to claim to be the leader but no one can produce but a small little DBS startup.

One thing is for sure there will be more HD in 2004.

Cheers,

Greg

Don Landis said:
Slicer- You seem to have a conflict then. You hang out in these rumor mills called forums yet you say you prefer to not be told what is happening until it has happened. (DirecTV's policy).

Don, it's kind of fun to watch people guess what may or may not be happening. On the other hand it stinks to have the CEO of E* make an announcement about something they're going to do and then do a 180 with no explanation.

Hello DFACC,
I also wrote to Directv that VOOM has over 20 HD channels & they sent me back the same email letter.

I told them that Voom is blowing them & D.N. away.

rad said:
Don Landis said:

Don, it's kind of fun to watch people guess what may or may not be happening. On the other hand it stinks to have the CEO of E* make an announcement about something they're going to do and then do a 180 with no explanation.

Exactly! I don't mind rumors as long as they're not propagated by the CEO of the company!!

The trouble with cramming more HD channels on limited bandwidth is that the problems of resolution limiting and increased data compression that we're starting to see now will only magnify.

If they don't get a sh-t load more transponder space and allow for the full bitrate and full resolution to come through on their HD channels then we'll start to see HD looking as ugly as the standard definition channels are now.

HD will soon mean absolutely NOTHING except for HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

Dan

Dan H - Not sure how much you know about Directv's plans, but there is a lot in store. Most notable is the addition of spot beam birds that will ultimately free up the CONUS transponders.

Then there are three FSS birds going up, that if configured properly, could deliver all the locals in HD. Which is saying a lot.

I think we will have a better idea next month when 7s is deployed and we can see whether or not Direct chooses to address their transponder clutter.

jabroni said:
Dan H - Not sure how much you know about Directv's plans, but there is a lot in store. Most notable is the addition of spot beam birds that will ultimately free up the CONUS transponders.

Then there are three FSS birds going up, that if configured properly, could deliver all the locals in HD. Which is saying a lot.

I think we will have a better idea next month when 7s is deployed and we can see whether or not Direct chooses to address their transponder clutter.

Frankly, after being jerked around but DBS companies, especially Charlier with is HD leader, Superdish and 50 HD channels BS I won't believe any of it until I could actually get it. What's to say D* won't change their mind and use those transponders for something that generate a bunch of revenue?

rad - You are correct! Direct could jerk us around with empty promises, but they will do so at their own peril. Very shortly I am going to supplement my programming with Voom and if Direct doesn't come through, I will merely continue to drop programming from them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts