HD Channels question

milan2

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
This may seem like a odd question but:

Can you get HD channels (using a HD cable box) on a non HD regular TV?

In other words Cablevision has lets say the Kung Fu & Monsters channel in HD. When you go to that channel(using a regular digital box) you see the message "call your cable company....." So if I get a HD box but hook it up to non HD TV. Will the channel now come in?

I ask this because I am getting a HD tv. but have 3 cable boxes. But only will have 1 HD tv & 2 standard tvs.(for now) But I would like to exchange those other 2 digital boxes for HD ones. So I could maybe watch those channels and others.

With an HD box you will get all the HD channels in your package, even if it's hooked up to an SDTV. The channels will show up letterboxed and of course not HD quality.

Hey thanks. That was a help. This would save me the trip of going back to pick up the other boxes. Plus at least I could see the channels(even if they are not in HD) until then.

I am doing this right now and it works great. I highly recommend you get the SA 4250HD boxes rather than the SA4200HD boxes...they are a lot less glitchy and slightly faster and they cost the same. Good luck!

I am doing this right now and it works great. I highly recommend you get the SA 4250HD boxes rather than the SA4200HD boxes...they are a lot less glitchy and slightly faster and they cost the same. Good luck!
It does, thats great. That confirms what RemyM just posted. Thanks.

I wonder why they don't advertize that. People are missing out, wouldn't you think? Besides the obvious HBO,SHO,MAX,STARZ, etc... in HD. there are about 15 extras on HD not included in the full digital package. For no extra charge. Its there. Why not tell people to exchange their SD boxs for HD ones?

Also the SA4200HD dosen't have a HMDI output correct? So SA4250HD would be the choice anyway. I hear the 8300HD is good too.

Why not tell people to exchange their SD boxs for HD ones?

Also the SA4200HD dosen't have a HMDI output correct? So SA4250HD would be the choice anyway. I hear the 8300HD is good too.

They don't tell people to do that because of cost. If they had to replace 2 million SD boxes with HD ones it would cost them a fortune. It's better to let the boxes run through their life or wait for people to actually have a HDTV until they replace their box. If they haven't already stopped, I would bet they will soon stop buying new SD boxes and will just redeploy existing SD boxes that get turned in.

The SA4250HD is the one with HDMI, the 4200 has DVI. The 8300HD is a great box, has HDMI, but it's the DVR and each one costs an extra $10 per month. You should at least have one on your main TV, it will change the way you watch TV.

With the DVR can you start a live program from beginning?

If you're recording it you can. But if you turn on the TV at 8:10 and want to start from the beginning of a show you weren't recording, no it doesn't do that. You can pause live TV for up to an hour with it though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)