HD committment

rbaines

Original poster
May 25, 2010
Glenview, IL
I've been on Dish for about 6 weeks. I signed a 2-yr committment that carries a penalty for disconnecting early. I think it's about $17.50 a month, prorated. The "HD for life" program also asks for a committment, with a $10 per month penalty for early disconnect.

I talked to a CSR, who told me they are not 2 separate committments. She said signing up for HD would just "reset the clock" on my original 2-yr committment, to 24 mths from whenever I sign up. This sounds a bit hard to believe, since they are different dollar amounts.

I started to go through the sign-up process online. The system knew I was already on paperless billing and autopay. It then asked me to confirm my credit card (last 4 digits displayed), to cover the committment. I don't know why it would ask me for that, if it was only resetting the clock on my 24 mth committment.

Has anyone has any experience with a situation like this? I don't want to be in the situation some day (if I ever cancel) of finding out I owe two penalty fees.

I talked to a CSR, who told me they are not 2 separate committments. She said signing up for HD would just "reset the clock" on my original 2-yr committment, to 24 mths from whenever I sign up. /QUOTE]

That is correct and the norm.

Thanks guys,

Dumb follow-up question. I'm wondering if they already are giving me HD. I don't yet have an HD TV, so I can't judge anything by the picture. When I look at the program guide, I see listed regular channels and channels labled as HD. I find that I can tune to either the reglar or HD channel and see the programming. Is this what everyones sees, or does it indicate I'm already getting HD?

THanks again

yep

Thanks guys,

Dumb follow-up question. I'm wondering if they already are giving me HD. I don't yet have an HD TV, so I can't judge anything by the picture. When I look at the program guide, I see listed regular channels and channels labled as HD. I find that I can tune to either the reglar or HD channel and see the programming. Is this what everyones sees, or does it indicate I'm already getting HD?

THanks again

The HD chs are sat HD chs. Now when you get an HDTV you will need to change the resolution to match it.

I'd be suspicious of it lowering your contract cancellation penalty from $17.50/mo to $10/mo. Sounds fishy to me. I bet it would still cost you $17.50/mo, CSR prob didn't know what they were talking about (there's a shocker!).

The HD chs are sat HD chs. Now when you get an HDTV you will need to change the resolution to match it. Today 06:46 AMThe HD chs are sat HD chs. Now when you get an HDTV you will need to change the resolution to match it. Today 06:46 AM"The HD chs are sat HD chs. Now when you get an HDTV you will need to change the resolution to match it."

But, I haven't actually signed up for HD yet. Does the fact that I can receive these channels mean my HD is already turned on?

For example, If I look at the guide "all channels", I see "Biography" listed twice on channel 119. One is HD. I can select either one and see the program (of course in SD). I realize I won't see HD without an HD TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts