HD Deals for New Subs?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

MI_SAT

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
I am strongly considering a move to D*. Not unhappy with E*, but I'm having a new roof installed on my house, and the satellite will be taken down as part of that process.

Instead of having the existing dish reinstalled (at my cost by E*), I thought now would be a good time to consider switching to D* as I have been wanting HD service, but am reluctant to pay current subscriber prices for HD equipment or the required satellite dish upgrades that would be required.

(1) Anyone know of good deals from D* for new subs wanting one HD PVR box and one SD pvr box?

(2) Is there still a company from which Satelliteguys members can get a discount?

(3) Is it worth waiting for D*'s non-TIVO PVR offerings before making a decision?

(4) Ancillary question: With TIVO's proposed changes with respect to advertising banners, do you feel that TIVO service is the way to go?

Thank you all in advance for your insight.

value electronics gives a 10 percent discount. link in the main direct tv forum page.

i think the 6 months of the free hd pack ends today.

i think it is crappy about the pop up ads.

don't believe any deals for the hd pvr. get it from value electronics for 10 percent off.

believe you can get the sd tivo for free or 50 bucks for being a new sub.

$800-$900 is the best you will find on the HD Tivo.

Value Electronics still has a 10% discount for members of this forum, but it doesn't apply to the HD Tivo. (last I heard anyway)

IMHO, it is probably worth waiting for Direct's own PVR. I suspect it will be offered for less money with most of the same functionality, and maybe, just maybe, you won't have to pay the $5 monthly fee (for Direct Tivo). I personally can't justify $900 for something that is 1st generation and is known to have several problems (especially the HDMI output). I will wait.

MI_SAT said:
Thanks for the replies.

What's the HDMI issue?

There are many threads on this forum and AVS Forums about the HDMI output failing. Some have had to return their equipment several times and have repeated failures.

The reason that the 10% doesn't apply for the HD DTivo is because VE is already selling it for $899, $100 less than MSRP.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)