Status
Please reply by conversation.

sgupta

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
HD DirecTivo - Several questions!

Hey folks,

Searched briefly and didn't find answers to a few questions I have, so I thought I'd ask. Getting one of these boxes soon, and I want to have some understanding for when I do. Appreciate any answers I can get. Several questions here, but hopefully easy for people who know what they're doing. =oP

1. I know DirecTV says this can record up to 30 hours of HD or 200 hours of SD. Usually, they don't use max quality for these figures though. At highest quality, what is the number of hours you can record of HD? Of SD? (Obviously, independent of one another.)

2. Just to verify, this unit CANNOT be hooked up like regular Tivos to record basic cable as well, correct? (I know it can do OTA though. It'd be nice if they included this in the next version so one box could do it all, but I suppose their reasoning for this is that they want people who want this box to have to go through DirecTV.)

3. If the answer to 2 is as expected and I have a regular VCR (and a very basic analog cable subscription for my locals which can't be recieved over DirecTV), is it a problem to hook up the VCR so it works like normal AND the HD Tivo so it works properly? This may be a dumb question, but I'm completely new to Satellite TV, set top boxes, and how they hook up to stuff. I was under the impression the Satellite feed goes through the cable jack as well into the box, and wasn't sure if this would somehow conflict with a regular VCR. Same goes with the TV's built in cable tuner too I suppose, but my thought is that switching inputs will take care of that.

4. Would you recommend getting the equipment protection plan for a box of this cost? What happens if it died and I didn't have this plan?

5. I've heard mixed reports about HDMI with these boxes. I'm thinking of buying an HDMI switcher so I can use both my DVD player and this unit on my single HDMI port. Do these DirecTV's work reliably and well with HDMI? (Also, I wouldn't think a switcher would interfere at all with Tivo recording since it's just the Tivo's output - am I right in that assumption?)

6. I know these boxes have four tuners (two satellite and two OTA if I'm correct). I don't get any OTA signal here. So, what are the combinations of what I can do? Can I record one show on D* while watching another or record two shows at the same time? (I assume yes.) Can I record two shows on D* at the same time while watching a prerecorded show? (I assume yes.) What about while watching a third live show? (I assume no.) Just trying to get straight in my mind what I can and can't do. I hope the same answers apply both to HD and SD.

Thanks VERY much for any answers I can get. =o)

Seen responses in BOLD below.

sgupta said:
Hey folks,

Searched briefly and didn't find answers to a few questions I have, so I thought I'd ask. Getting one of these boxes soon, and I want to have some understanding for when I do. Appreciate any answers I can get. Several questions here, but hopefully easy for people who know what they're doing. =oP

1. I know DirecTV says this can record up to 30 hours of HD or 200 hours of SD. Usually, they don't use max quality for these figures though. At highest quality, what is the number of hours you can record of HD? Of SD? (Obviously, independent of one another.)

You don't control the quality setting on D* Tivo's. Since the data stream is compress by D* the D* Tivo's just copy that stream bit by bit. And D* can vary the bandwidth on the stream at will, so no real answer to your question.

2. Just to verify, this unit CANNOT be hooked up like regular Tivos to record basic cable as well, correct? (I know it can do OTA though. It'd be nice if they included this in the next version so one box could do it all, but I suppose their reasoning for this is that they want people who want this box to have to go through DirecTV.)

The D* HR10-250 can record either D* DBS signals or over the air digital stations, no analog, either cable or OTA or digital cable stations.

3. If the answer to 2 is as expected and I have a regular VCR (and a very basic analog cable subscription for my locals which can't be recieved over DirecTV), is it a problem to hook up the VCR so it works like normal AND the HD Tivo so it works properly? This may be a dumb question, but I'm completely new to Satellite TV, set top boxes, and how they hook up to stuff. I was under the impression the Satellite feed goes through the cable jack as well into the box, and wasn't sure if this would somehow conflict with a regular VCR. Same goes with the TV's built in cable tuner too I suppose, but my thought is that switching inputs will take care of that.

You can record the output from the HR10-250 via composit or s-video outputs only if the HR1-250 is set to 480i output, if you use 480p, 720p or 1080i settings the those outputs are disabled.

4. Would you recommend getting the equipment protection plan for a box of this cost? What happens if it died and I didn't have this plan?

It comes with a 1 year warrenty, so your call

5. I've heard mixed reports about HDMI with these boxes. I'm thinking of buying an HDMI switcher so I can use both my DVD player and this unit on my single HDMI port. Do these DirecTV's work reliably and well with HDMI? (Also, I wouldn't think a switcher would interfere at all with Tivo recording since it's just the Tivo's output - am I right in that assumption?)

Check over at www.tivocommunity.com for the latest on the HDMI issues

6. I know these boxes have four tuners (two satellite and two OTA if I'm correct). I don't get any OTA signal here. So, what are the combinations of what I can do? Can I record one show on D* while watching another or record two shows at the same time? (I assume yes.) Can I record two shows on D* at the same time while watching a prerecorded show? (I assume yes.) What about while watching a third live show? (I assume no.) Just trying to get straight in my mind what I can and can't do. I hope the same answers apply both to HD and SD.

You are correct in your assumptions.

Thanks VERY much for any answers I can get. =o)

sgupta said:

Incidentally, they're completely dependent of one another.
All DirecTV streams are variable bit rate, so it's nigh impossible to tell, but in actual practice, most people seem to get 80-90% of their indicated space. If all the programming you choose is recorded at a low bit-rate, you could even get more.

For example, I have an R-10 and while it says "up to 70 hours" of programming, I probably have close to 75 hours of stuff on it at the moment.

H

Great responses all. Clarifies things a lot.

Wow...so these boxes do hold a lot. Nice. If it even gets CLOSE to 30 hours for HD, I'll be MORE than happy.

Regarding the VCR question, I'm either misunderstanding or didn't explain my question clearly enough (or both - lol). I guess all I'm asking is, will I still be able to use my VCR for regular analog cable recording on the same TV. For example, let's say my HD DirecTivo's hooked up, and it's doing it's thing with DirecTV. But I also have analog cable service and want to record a show on WB (a channel I don't get through D*), so I set my VCR to record channel 15 at the set the time. Will both still work fine? (I'll probably use a cable splitter unless there's a better suggestion.)

I'll hafta think about the service plan. 1 year warranty isn't too bad - at least will give me time to consider.

Re the HDMI issue, checked out that link, and it looks pretty bad. Unless I can be pretty sure this is fixed, looks like I'll skip the switcher and just use component until the problem is for sure fixed or I get an upgraded box in the future with reliable HDMI.

Thanks for the great responses! (And more are of course welcome and appreciated.)

Assuming that your TV has multiple inputs to allow for the HD Tivo and your VCR there should be no problems.

On the HDMI issue, I'm using the HDMI to DVI cable that comes with the box, and have been using it since last May without any problems. So your milage may vary. Unless you are connecting to a LCD/plasma it may not make much of a difference since the signal would be conveted back to analog anyway. Even is using a LCD or Plasma display I've seen a number of post where people say they can't see much, if any, difference between the two anyway.

Great! Can this DVR upconvert via component OR HDMI, or only through HDMI? (A lot of DVD players only upconvert through HDMI).

sgupta said:
Great! Can this DVR upconvert via component OR HDMI, or only through HDMI? (A lot of DVD players only upconvert through HDMI).

No, it can output 480i/480p/720p/1080i through the component outputs do you don't nee the HDMI for greater then 480p like the DVD players. You control what the output is via a button on the front of the unit or by the up arrow on the disc on the remote control.

Excellent. Sounds like if HDMI is problematic, component's just about as good then. =o)

Another question for you. I notice the back of the unit (don't have it yet, but looking at the technical information) has two satellite in. Do I have to use a splitter and connect two coax cables to this? (In order to use it's full capabilities of course).

Thanks!

sgupta said:
Another question for you. I notice the back of the unit (don't have it yet, but looking at the technical information) has two satellite in. Do I have to use a splitter and connect two coax cables to this? (In order to use it's full capabilities of course).

Thanks!

Yes, you need to coax from the D* Dish to the receiver to be able to use both tuners plus a coax to an over the air antenna if you want to try OTA ATSC channels. Are you going to try to get OTA ATSC channels? You might want to give it a shot and see, you might be surprised on what you could get. Check www.antennaweb.org to see what type of antenna you'd need and how far the transmitters are for your digital stations are from your location.

Wait...let's assume I *JUST* want to use the dish for a moment. Do I need only ONE cable into the box then, or TWO? And I'm talking to record two shows at once or watch one live while recording the other over D*.

Now, as far as trying OTA, I'm still debating. I don't think I could pick up much of anything, but I'm also very curious now. =oP I just don't know if I want to gamble with the cost of buying an antenna. I'll check again, but last time I checked antennaweb, I got nothing but possibly PBS.

Yup - only station that shows up is PBS, and it's 61 miles away. However, I was told that before there was cable here long ago, my grandparents used antennas to pick up television... Sooo...I'd think there'd have to be something, or maybe that equipment's gone now? I dunno. =oP

You need two coax runs, one for each DBS receiver in the box. You need two since the box needs to be able to access anyone of the three LNB's out on the dish, plus be able to use either the vertical or horizontal polarity on the LNB to pick the transponder that it needs.

I'm not sure I'm completely clear on the details, but I think I getcha. I guess I'll just wait for install before worrying about cables and being able to hook everything up eventually. Simpler to do it one step at a time. Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.