HD Distant Locals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

blockrw

Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
I can't get my locals in the Tyler/Longview, TX area in HD and can only get ABC HD on my outside antenna. I saw a reference to Americandirect yesterday and thought that was the answer and ordered NBC without a waiver. Then I found out the distant locals are SD. Are there any plans for a third party to provide distant HD locals over Dish?

What are you using for your outside antenna?

Looks to me you could put up a DB8 and put the front toward CBS at 163 degrees and pick up ABC on the backside since it is a mere 9 miles or so away. Then you could get CBS, NBC at 188 degrees and Fox at 118 degrees. The DB8 has a 100 degree beam width so you should be able to pick these up - unless you are down in a hole.

I can't get my locals in the Tyler/Longview, TX area in HD and can only get ABC HD on my outside antenna. I saw a reference to Americandirect yesterday and thought that was the answer and ordered NBC without a waiver. Then I found out the distant locals are SD. Are there any plans for a third party to provide distant HD locals over Dish?

I asked them at allamerican direct and they said not at this time for hd.

I actually live in Nacogdoches, TX but get Tyler Longview locals. CBS is 55 miles northwest. They did say they are replacing digital transmitter with a higher power transmitter this month but as of now, the only digital channel I can receive is ABC in Lufkin, TX.

There is no such thing as "distant locals." There are local network stations (LIL). There are distant network stations (DNS). Significantly viewed (SV) (for DBS purposes) are a subset of DNS.

I actually live in Nacogdoches, TX but get Tyler Longview locals. CBS is 55 miles northwest. They did say they are replacing digital transmitter with a higher power transmitter this month but as of now, the only digital channel I can receive is ABC in Lufkin, TX.

Fox and NBC are also in Lufkin.. They are 10 degrees off of ABC at 195 instead of 204 from Nacodoches.

I asked them at allamerican direct and they said not at this time for hd.
Does anyone know why All American Direct does not offer HD DNS?

Is it due to issues with...
1 - Licensing with the networks
2 - Perceived small market
3 - Dish satellite transponder leasing/availability
4 - Simple logistics of getting SD DNS going delaying HD DNS
5 - "Other"

FWIW it would seem to be in Dish's best interest to have All American Direct offer HD DNS ASAP. It would take the heat off Dish adding all those HD locals for smaller markets. AFAIK Dish does not get any new revenue if/when it adds HD locals but could get increased revenue by leasing HD transponders to All American Direct. Dish subs in smaller markets would probably be happy to have "true locals" in SD for news, etc. and HD for national broadcasts.

Talon Dancer

Does anyone know why All American Direct does not offer HD DNS?
I believe they are leasing 1 transponder for $150,000 a month to transmit 8 channels (4 east/4west); and I think they could only get 6 HD channels on a transponder, so they would need 2 more transponders for another $300,000 a month.

There probably isn't enough market for it right now. Everyone would need a HD receiver (MPEG2 or MPEG4 ???) in order to subscribe.

Charlie may not have extra transponders to lease. If not, then I guess they would have to ask DirecTV if they could lease one! :D

If Nps could use the new mpeg 4 encoders as Dish has just got they could get up to 6 hd channels on that one transponder. IF they would do all of them in hd lite they might have enough bandwith to do all 8 on that same transponder and still do the sd too.

None to spare for anyone else. But with the new compression, maybe he'll end up with too much.
We should be so lucky :)

From what I'm reading, the current limit on HD locals is satellite capacity and the ongoing efforts to minimize the impact of the loss of the SD DNS (e.g. adding lots of SD locals, OTA EPG, etc.) But if the MPEG-4 compression works out well, the limit will be the economics of licensing the local content.

Frankly, the only economic incentive that I see for Dish to add any more HD Locals is to stop subs from switching to another provider (e.g. DirecTV, cable, etc.) and/or lure subs away from other providers. Am I missing something?

Talon Dancer

THe future of all television is HIGH DEF. This is just like the transition of black and white to color tv in 1960s. All satellite channels will have to go hd in the future or satellite will be left behind for providers that do all channels in hd. IN the next 5 years to 10 years you will see this happen.

All locals will have to be captured from the digital signal instead of the analog signal ota that is going away anyway in 2 years. So what better time to change all locals to either 480p or even 720p . THis will have to happen and it should spur on the transition to all mpeg 4 receivers for Dish.

They need to do this for all hd receivers this summer and then get started on the sd receiver transition to mpeg 4 receivers . THe sooner this is all done the better for all of us in terms of better picture quality and for more bandwith using mpeg 4 .

Dish won't need a lot more satellites if they can get the mpeg 4 encoders to provide a 100% bandwith savings. THis is supposed to happen in the near future with each new generation of mpeg4 encoders. They will get more and more bandwith savings . Right now they are getting a 50 % increase and could even get them to do 75% with time. So we are going to have a whole lot of space for both hd and hd locals on existing satellites if they would get a move on with the mpeg 4 transition.

Are you sure? The future of video tape is Beta. The future of the automobile is the Edsel. The future of internet standards is OSI. Just because a technology or item is technologically superior (real or perceived) does not guarantee that the market will go that way. Many people would prefer the choice of several SD programs vs one HD. By the way there are still B&W television sets. They are a good way to watch old movies that have been colorized.

THe future of all television is HIGH DEF. This is just like the transition of black and white to color tv in 1960s. All satellite channels will have to go hd in the future or satellite will be left behind for providers that do all channels in hd. IN the next 5 years to 10 years you will see this happen.

All locals will have to be captured from the digital signal instead of the analog signal ota that is going away anyway in 2 years. So what better time to change all locals to either 480p or even 720p . THis will have to happen and it should spur on the transition to all mpeg 4 receivers for Dish.

They need to do this for all hd receivers this summer and then get started on the sd receiver transition to mpeg 4 receivers . THe sooner this is all done the better for all of us in terms of better picture quality and for more bandwith using mpeg 4 .

Dish won't need a lot more satellites if they can get the mpeg 4 encoders to provide a 100% bandwith savings. THis is supposed to happen in the near future with each new generation of mpeg4 encoders. They will get more and more bandwith savings . Right now they are getting a 50 % increase and could even get them to do 75% with time. So we are going to have a whole lot of space for both hd and hd locals on existing satellites if they would get a move on with the mpeg 4 transition.

...Just because a technology or item is technologically superior (real or perceived) does not guarantee that the market will go that way. ...
In fact, it virtually guarantees it won't :eek:

The American public almost always goes for "more/cheaper but not too bad" :)

Thats the very basis of the cable, and satellite TV business models -- provide hundreds of channels of stuff that people can surf through looking for the least objectionable program :rolleyes:

Talon Dancer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts