HD-DVD casualty report.

akodoreign

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
HD DVD casualty report: over 1m players, recorders, and drives lost to the format war - Engadget

At all curious to find out just how rare that HD DVD player of yours really is? Well, we hate to tell you, but it's probably not rare enough to fetch anything special on eBay in a couple of years -- but still every bit rare (read: discontinued) enough to justify taking up space in your home theater. The numbers, according to Nishida-san, at this morning's press conference:
  • Xbox 360 drives (worldwide) - 300k
  • PCs with HD DVD (worldwide) - 300k
Standalone players/recorders:
  • US - 600k units
  • Europe - 100k units
  • Japan - 30,000 units
Add it all up, and that's about a 1.3 million customers -- just a fraction of the 10m+ Blu-ray owners out there -- that got boned on HD DVD. Thanks, Toshiba and Sony!

Your numbers seem to be off.

Q: How many HD DVD players and recorders, exactly, did you sell?
A: 600,000 players in the US -- 300,000 of which were Xbox 360 HD DVD drives. 100,000 units were sold in Europe. And about 10,000 players and 20,000 recorders in Japan. So about 730,000 units worldwide.

Your numbers seem to be off.

Q: How many HD DVD players and recorders, exactly, did you sell?
A: 600,000 players in the US -- 300,000 of which were Xbox 360 HD DVD drives. 100,000 units were sold in Europe. And about 10,000 players and 20,000 recorders in Japan. So about 730,000 units worldwide.

Not my numbers man, I am just quoting engadget word for word. thats why I posted the link to the article first. :D

I read else where a week ago that it was over 1 million worldwide including the xbox 360 add-ons. Maybe the original press conference gave incorrect info or the translation was off?

I didn't realized that Sony sold over 10 millions PS3.

I read else where a week ago that it was over 1 million worldwide including the xbox 360 add-ons. Maybe the original press conference gave incorrect info or the translation was off?

I didn't realized that Sony sold over 10 millions PS3.

10.7 they announced today. saw it over at maxconsole.net

HD DVD casualty report: over 1m players, recorders, and drives lost to the format war - Engadget

At all curious to find out just how rare that HD DVD player of yours really is? Well, we hate to tell you, but it's probably not rare enough to fetch anything special on eBay in a couple of years -- but still every bit rare (read: discontinued) enough to justify taking up space in your home theater. The numbers, according to Nishida-san, at this morning's press conference:
  • Xbox 360 drives (worldwide) - 300k
  • PCs with HD DVD (worldwide) - 300k
Standalone players/recorders:
  • US - 600k units
  • Europe - 100k units
  • Japan - 30,000 units
Add it all up, and that's about a 1.3 million customers -- just a fraction of the 10m+ Blu-ray owners out there -- that got boned on HD DVD. Thanks, Toshiba and Sony!
Don’t you think it’s a little presumptuous to quote 10m+BD owners. After all over 80% of them don’t even have it hooked up to a HDTV. Its hooked up to some kids SDTV for playing games in their bedroom. I used JoeSP’s crystal ball for that prediction, but I guarantee I’m not far off.

PS3 s are the wild card. We simply have no good statistics on how they are used.

Don’t you think it’s a little presumptuous to quote 10m+BD owners. After all over 80% of them don’t even have it hooked up to a HDTV. Its hooked up to some kids SDTV for playing games in their bedroom. I used JoeSP’s crystal ball for that prediction, but I guarantee I’m not far off.

Again not my report. I posted for discussion nothing more. :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts